What to do in Mykonos

We will have 6-7 hours in Mykonos on our May cruise and wondered what we should do in that amount of time. All I really know about there is just from what we see in photos. Appreciate any suggestions.

And what you see in the photos is about it.I was just there a couple of weeks ago,and I will say it was a charming place to wander through...very picturesque,The shops are very nice,and on the $$$$ side.We did a ship's tour in the afternoon of a scenic overvirew of the island which was really nice especially learning about the small churches with the red roofs. In the morning when we docked we took the shuttle into town(you will dock at the new port) and just wandered around,then had some coffee on the waterfront and went back to the ship for luncheon before the tour.It is a relaxing port,and I am sure you will be pleased with the town.There are also beaches of you wish to do that as well.If you stay for luncheon wander over to the area called Little Venice as there many places to eat as well as the scenic windmills.BTW,it should be a lot prettier in May than Sept.as it can be quite a barren place as far as "green" goes.Enjoy your visit there.

We enjoyed are stop in Mykonos. Our cruise was so port intensive, it was nice to just wander the quaint cobblestone streets. Princess had a shuttle bus which was a short ride into the center of town. Be sure to see the windmills and say hi to their resident mascot pelican. Went into a few jewelry stores but the prices were very high. We also opted to return to the ship for late lunch.

Sandy

This site provides some useful info on Mykonos (as well as almost any destination) http://www.frommers.com/destinations/mykonos/1652010001.html From the menu on the left side, look at Attractions and Active Pursuits for ideas on what to see. The map is good too. The introduction from the above site starts off rather negatively .... perhaps Mykonos used to be nicer than it is now, but it was our first visit so could not make the comparison they were referring to.

We wandered the streets, hiked up high above the town for great views, then took a bus to Paradise Beach for a swim. Internet cafes are inexpensive here. We enjoyed our day there.

The shuttle is supposed to run every 15 minutes, but when we were there recently it seemed to go more often than that if there were a lot of passengers. We loved Mykonos - it's a really charming place.

It is possible to walk to the town from the dock, but Princess recommended that passengers take the bus as the road could be a bit dangerous. It was quite narrow with no pavements (sidewalks). The shuttle was free of charge.

We just returned from a cruise on the Millennium and we loved Mykonos. Just wander around on the cobblestone streets take in the spectacular views and chill. No need to take a tour. We shopped and sat at a cafe had wine, greek salad and soulvaki.......Watched the world go bye......Enjoy you will love it..

We were in Mykonos a week or so back. We walked from the ship to town along the harbour and shore, a few crazy drivers and a few buses but not that bad, walk off some of that ship food. Shuttles run regularly. A lot of shops there, just like in Santorini, Rhodes and most cruise stops. Too much touristy stuff, still interesting to walk around on old streets, see the town stuff as others have mentioned, have a beer along the water, look for Petros the pelican.

Overall, we were disappointed with this stop. our port stop was 2 pm to 11 pm. Strange times if you want to go to the beaches. The highlights of Mykonos are the beaches and party spots. Paradise and Super Paradise is where the action is in the summer months. We went in early October and nothing much going on. You have to take a bus or taxi over to one of many beach areas then figure out how to get back or negotiate with the taxi to take you back and hope they do. If you are going to Santorini, still lots of shops but the scenery is breaktaking. The Amalfi coast drive is another must from Naples.

Our cruise was great, but we wouldn't miss another tourist shop.

Al

I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with Mykonos. The place is beautiful. Just wander around the streets. Ok the shops are a bit touristy, but there are other no so much so shops around. Walk up to the windmills, have a drink by the waterside.

Just went to Mykonos a few weeks ago. It is really lovely. Took Celebrity's free shuttle to the town, then got a bus to the beach. Pay attention if you do this to when the buses run, as there was a few hour delay to return to the ship. They don't run every hour. The beach was beautiful, and there were chairs to rent for 5E. There were waiters to bring you food/drinks, very relaxing on this port intensive cruise. We had a lovely late lunch then took the bus back to the town, did a little shopping and headed back to the ship. Our dinner companions stayed in town for dinner that night, but we returned before our 8:45 dinner seating, so I'm not sure where they ate. The beaches are "clothing optional" but not offensive, at least to me. The water was too cold for me, being used to warm summer waters, but lots of Europeans were splashing around.

We were in Mykonos in mid-May while on BCN to Venice run. It was so crowded - a weekend and apparently lots of young folks from other Greek Islands/Athens go there for the weekends. Just a beautiful (but can't compare to Oia on Santorini, IMHO) small place. Great for walking - lovely multi-colored portals on white washed buildins - just beautiful. My goal was to find "Little (or was it "old") Venice" and the windmills. Was about to give up when we literally stumbled upon both areas - just beautiful.

Just watch out for the motor scooters - they are everywhere - and when you least expect them.

Have fun.

Archived