My review of the Sky 3-day 1/29-2/1

kamin83

My husband and I just did the 3-day Miami-Nassau-GSC cruise on the Sky and we loved it. Granted, this was our first time cruising as a couple without our kids, so certainly the fact that we were ALONE had a significant impact on our enjoyment. ;)

We had an interior cabin on deck 8. It was fine. Pretty small, but satisfactory for our needs. I did find the mattress to be very uncomfortable, but the free drinks helped me overcome the discomfort to get a good night's sleep. If noise bothers you, I would suggest avoiding deck 8 aft. We were directly above the Stardust theatre and could hear the shows every night.

Food was pretty good. The buffet was much smaller than I've experienced on previous cruises (Disney Dream and NCL Breakaway), but that was actually a good thing. It was much less chaotic. We never had much trouble finding a table. The food was standard buffet fare. We're big smoked salmon fans, so that was great. If you saw a guy with a giant pile of salmon taking up half his plate each morning, that was my husband. Lunch was good at the buffet, too. We did not eat there for dinner. We loved the Great Outdoors buffet. It was just lovely to have a large seating area on the back of the ship, with ample shade if you wanted it, but lots of sun if you wanted that. The weather was warm, but not hot, and mostly sunny. It was divine.

We ate our dinners in the main dining rooms, Crossings and Palace. Some food was disappointing (the tortellini soup was 3 pieces of tortellini in lukewarm broth), but some stuff was really, really good. The stars of the trip for us were the sirloin with chimichurri sauce, and the mango swirl cheesecake.

I loved the all-inclusive drinks. I know some have complained about the quality of the booze included, but I guess I'm not fussy. It was so nice and uncomplicated to just be able to order a drink anywhere without having to show a card or sign a receipt. My husband enjoyed mojitos throughout the cruise, while I tried a little bit of everything. The pina colada from the pool bar was decadent. Merlot at dinner was nice, and my waiter never let my glass get empty. I enjoyed many a Corona at Great Stirrup Cay. All was included and easily available. We never waited long for a drink, never had to stand in a very long line to order. I hope more ships will start doing this. Bottom line, it was as easy to get a drink as it was to get one of those delicious pretzel rolls at the buffet. I had many of both!

Entertainment was lacking. We did attend several trivia events and really enjoyed those. There were never more than 10 tables of people there, so it was neat to have personalized attention from the guys running the events. Other than that, we didn't really care for what was offered. The cruise director, Tyler, was over-the-top annoying. I'm sure his style appeals to some people, but for us it was obnoxious. One of the singers who performed in the theatre and in the lounge was a guy whose handle on the English language was not quite strong enough to sing the songs he was singing. It was cringeworthy to hear some of his mangled pronunciations. Poor guy tried his hardest, though!

We weren't there to be entertained, though. We were there to relax and recharge, eat, drink, and enjoy time as a couple (if you know what I mean). We accomplished all of those things spectacularly. I would get back on that ship again in a heartbeat!

Thank you so much for your review Kathleen! I am headed on this cruise next Friday and it is refreshing to hear some positivity!

No problem! I think you'll have a blast. Manage your expectations. This is not a HUGE, GORGEOUS, AMAZING ship. It is a nice, older ship that is well taken care of and well-staffed. Eat, drink, and be merry.

I would concur, the all-inclusive hadn't officially started when on the ship in December but we had a great time and would rate the Sky head and shoulders above the Bahamas cruises we have taken on Carnival and RCCL. The free UBP was plentiful on the cruise so I wouldn't expect a marked difference between then and now.

The only other issue was I received a not so great steak on our first visit to Cagney's but they were very concerned about our happiness and offered me a replacement which I declined. The Maitre 'D suggested an alternative cut for our second visit and we were fawned over. We practically had a waiter all to ourselves and they busted their rears to make that an excellent experience.

I also agree about the entertainment, for us it was the one low point. It is our first cruise we didn't go to a show. I would highly recommend the Sky for a short cruise.