Vista, Dream, or Magic

canadaman111

We have not cruised before and are trying to narrow down which ship to pick. We are planning for Feb 2018. Since we have not cruised before I am sure we would be happy with any of the three. We live in Ontario Canada so we aren't to concerned with where we would be leaving from. We will likely drive either way because we are a family of 6 and flights will be just to expensive. According to google maps New Orleans is the closest port to us at about 18 1/2 hours. Port Canaveral is roughly 21 hours for the magic, and Miami for the Vista about 24 hours. The Vista cruise is a 6 night and the other 2 are 7 nights so that is a factor.

The dream looks nice. There are just 2 things holding me back on it. One is it doesn't have a ropes course. The other is that it doesn't have Guys burgers. I really wanted to try that. I believe Dream is going into drydock in 2017 so I guess it could get Guys then.

The Magic checks off all of my boxes. It goes into dry dock soon to get a face lift.

The Vista is well, Vista. I looks amazing. It also has interior connecting rooms that the other 2 don't which can save us some cash. But it is the longest drive and 1 night shorter of a cruise.

I am just not sure where my priorities should be when picking ships. We aren't to concerned with the ports we would stop at, we haven't been to any of them..

What do you experts think???

Well Welcome to CRUISING!!!!!!!!! My favorite subject :) You would definitely love the Magic and that would be my pick. The Dream we have sailed twice and it is such a dark ship the décor is not pretty at all. The Vista, well, yes it's the Vista!!!!!! But if you are doing all that driving and it is one day shorter cruise that would do it for me. I think, IMO, that the Magic would be a great fit.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!! And welcome to the addiction!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take a 7 night over a 6 night. I am coming back to Carnival after spending a few years with Royal, and the Vista was my choice with the Magic and the Breeze coming in a tie for second choice. I am also excited about Guys Burgers. Many people say don't pick a ship because of the burgers but I have been to most all the ports and on most of the ships, and really want to try those burgers. I don't think you can make a bad choice with the options you listed, and it gives you a reason to cruise again. I think I would choose the Magic only because of the extra day. But as you say, the Vista is the Vista. Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Magic (after drydock) has much of what Vista has (Guy's, Cucina, BBQ, ropes course). However Vista does have Skyride, Seafood shack, sushi, Hasbro Game Night, a 455 ft water slide (vs 330), Thrill Theater, and Imax. Also, Magic has Tandoor which Vista lacks.

We are from Ontario as well and have cruise 8 times on Spirit class ships (Miracle, Legend and Pride) and just got off the Dream yesterday.

While we enjoyed the ship the Dream seems very unorganized, buffet lines were always long and it felt really busy everywhere we went (even the spa pool/tub had 10 people in it when we'd visit). Cruising out of NOLA was fun though...spent an extra 3 day just to experience the city and mardi gras.

We are sailing on the Vista in November from NYC....truly excited to see that ship.

You mentioned NOLA a the closest port....have you looked at the Pride out of Baltimore? Some of the itineraries aren't the greatest but I know they have some interesting ones too. Sailing from Baltimore, is normally an 8 hour drive.

Have a search for NYC as well....Vista has 2 cruises out of there, one a repo to Miami. I believe they offer Bermuda cruises from NYC as well....a favourite port of ours.

Good luck.

We are from Ontario as well and have cruise 8 times on Spirit class ships (Miracle, Legend and Pride) and just got off the Dream yesterday.

While we enjoyed the ship the Dream seems very unorganized, buffet lines were always long and it felt really busy everywhere we went (even the spa pool/tub had 10 people in it when we'd visit). Cruising out of NOLA was fun though...spent an extra 3 day just to experience the city and mardi gras.

We are sailing on the Vista in November from NYC....truly excited to see that ship.

You mentioned NOLA a the closest port....have you looked at the Pride out of Baltimore? Some of the itineraries aren't the greatest but I know they have some interesting ones too. Sailing from Baltimore, is normally an 8 hour drive.

Have a search for NYC as well....Vista has 2 cruises out of there, one a repo to Miami. I believe they offer Bermuda cruises from NYC as well....a favourite port of ours.

Good luck.

I have looked briefly at Baltimore. We can only cruise Jan or Feb of 2018. We want it to be warm sunny weather from day one. I must assume leaving from Baltimore at that time of year it is cold for a good day or so.

Dang... I have a cruise booked with 14 people going on Dream later this year. I hope the food, service and decor don't suck.

It doesn't. Most of the comments about the ships are in relative terms. Cruisers hold their experiences up to very high standards and try to give a heads up about slight differences that makes one ship slightly more preferable than others.

I have not been on a cruise where I did not have a great time. Some I like better than others but hardly anyone agrees on which ship is best or which to avoid because experiences are different and what is important to each of us is different. I "love" some ships many people "hate" and vice versa. They're all great.

We sail on the Dream on Feb. 14th also. We've been on ships with Guys Burgers and I don't think they're all that they're cracked up to be. I like Guy Fieri on his shows though. I much prefer a Five Guys burger if you have one around your house that is.

We have not cruised before and are trying to narrow down which ship to pick. We are planning for Feb 2018. Since we have not cruised before I am sure we would be happy with any of the three. We live in Ontario Canada so we aren't to concerned with where we would be leaving from. We will likely drive either way because we are a family of 6 and flights will be just to expensive. According to google maps New Orleans is the closest port to us at about 18 1/2 hours. Port Canaveral is roughly 21 hours for the magic, and Miami for the Vista about 24 hours. The Vista cruise is a 6 night and the other 2 are 7 nights so that is a factor.

The dream looks nice. There are just 2 things holding me back on it. One is it doesn't have a ropes course. The other is that it doesn't have Guys burgers. I really wanted to try that. I believe Dream is going into drydock in 2017 so I guess it could get Guys then.

The Magic checks off all of my boxes. It goes into dry dock soon to get a face lift.

The Vista is well, Vista. I looks amazing. It also has interior connecting rooms that the other 2 don't which can save us some cash. But it is the longest drive and 1 night shorter of a cruise.

I am just not sure where my priorities should be when picking ships. We aren't to concerned with the ports we would stop at, we haven't been to any of them..

What do you experts think???

Magic hands down.....

It doesn't. Most of the comments about the ships are in relative terms. Cruisers hold their experiences up to very high standards and try to give a heads up about slight differences that makes one ship slightly more preferable than others.

I have not been on a cruise where I did not have a great time. Some I like better than others but hardly anyone agrees on which ship is best or which to avoid because experiences are different and what is important to each of us is different. I "love" some ships many people "hate" and vice versa. They're all great.

I love this explanation of the opinions on this board! So many opinions here are polarizing and the distance between love and hate is much less than in our everyday lives. Thanks for this!

I am really torn now between the Magic from Port Canaveral and the Breeze from Galveston. First off Port Canaveral is 3+ hours closer of a drive for us from Ontario. Also I have done the drive to Orlando before. The problems are the Magic is roughly $300 more for our family of 6. The other is my wife really wanted to cruise in Febuary and the Magic cruise that is the best price leaves Jan. 6 2018, where as the Breeze leaves Feb 25/ 2018. What would you guys do??

I am really torn now between the Magic from Port Canaveral and the Breeze from Galveston. First off Port Canaveral is 3+ hours closer of a drive for us from Ontario. Also I have done the drive to Orlando before. The problems are the Magic is roughly $300 more for our family of 6. The other is my wife really wanted to cruise in Febuary and the Magic cruise that is the best price leaves Jan. 6 2018, where as the Breeze leaves Feb 25/ 2018. What would you guys do??

We are doing the Jan 22, 2016, Breeze. We love the Magic and will sail her on March 27, 2016. for the last time out of Galveston (for us) I like the Breeze decor in photos and can't wait to see it in person!

We have cruise on the Magic before with the next cruise in a few weeks. I like the ship a lot. However, we were on the Breeze in November and we LOVED it! I love going out of Galveston as I like the area. You can't go wrong with either one. Guys Burgers are good and much better than what was offered before on the Lido Decks. Your options are wide open so, you can go simple with a Plain Jane (that's me) or go all out and add your extra toppings with options galore!

Does the itinerary matter to you? What are the ports for each? I pick based on ports. I would try the Breeze if the ports didn't matter. But you couldn't go wrong with either.

The ports really don't matter top us, we have not been to any of them. The Breeze has 3 ports, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The Magic has 4 ports, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany bay, and Costa Maya.