Holiday Inn South Beach Before Cruise - Anyone Been?

zyezye

WE stayed there in April,the room was clean and we had a nice view of the beach.The beach is beautiful.Like you I read mixed reviews and really didn't know what to expect.I hope this will be of some help.Enjoy your cruise!

It's old, tired, a little bit north of the action, but still walkable to the real South Beach. However it's closing sometime after the first of the year to be torn down and replaced with a W Hotel, so I would have concerns as to how well it's being kept up.

It's old, tired, a little bit north of the action, but still walkable to the real South Beach. However it's closing sometime after the first of the year to be torn down and replaced with a W Hotel, so I would have concerns as to how well it's being kept up.

I already have reservations for next April, so I think your information is incorrect. Nothing on their web site, and they continue to take reservations. Do you have a web site for your info?

Trent is absolutely right. It's awaiting approval for demolition and plans call for two (2) 19 story towers in its place. The existing property isn't fit for dogs, let alone people. Not one dime is being spent in its upkeep, its dirty, dingy, soiled and the common areas reek of urine. Bail out if you can! :eek:

http://www.hansenhomesaventura.com/W-Hotel/W-Hotel.html

Permit approval hearing: http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/drb/ha20050308.pdf

Check out the address, look familiar?

http://www.kevintomlinson.com/_the_w.asp

nicknack - It was originally suppose to close by the end of this year, then I had heard that it had been pushed back to "early 2006". I don't have an exact closing date, but the fact is the property has been sold, will be closing at some time in the near future, and they are already selling pre-construction condos at the W Hotel and Residences that will replace it. It wouldn't be the first time a hotel has taken reservations, and then moved you to another property. It's not a nice place anyway, I would definitely find somewhere else now while you can still get something decent.

I thought the hotel was fine. It's a typical Holiday Inn, and not the RITZ.

Grounds are beautiful, it's on the boardwalk, and real close to Lincoln Road Mall. Nice pool area/tiki bar. When I was there, there were photographers shooting models near the pool.

Would I stay there again? Sure. Are there better hotels in SoBe? Sure...but you'll pay for them. :)

Take a look:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/105867351/105867665fMJWdY#

View from our room:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/105867794/105867794KhaCoW

nicknack - It was originally suppose to close by the end of this year, then I had heard that it had been pushed back to "early 2006". I don't have an exact closing date, but the fact is the property has been sold, will be closing at some time in the near future, and they are already selling pre-construction condos at the W Hotel and Residences that will replace it. It wouldn't be the first time a hotel has taken reservations, and then moved you to another property. It's not a nice place anyway, I would definitely find somewhere else now while you can still get something decent.

Many mixed reviews, pro and con. But with a government employee rate, that includes parking and beach chairs and great location at a good price, I probably can manage for a few nights. I called and was assured that it wouldn't be for several months after April, when I have my reservation, would they start winding down. Not a bad idea to have a back up reservation, though.

We stayed there in March 2003 and paid top dollar. The location is good and it's steps away from the beach. At that time, chairs and umbrella were included in the price. If you have a car, parking is difficult and expensive. I thought the hotel was in desperate need of updating. Hallways were narrow and dark and rooms were only okay. I didn't expect the Ritz but wasn't what I expected but again, the location was excellent and the beach and boardwalk were wonderful. I have found that SB hotels are expensive and unless you land a deal or can pay $250 a night you are going to find a not so great hotel but it's South Beach! Also, be prepared to pay top dollar for drinks and food. I don't typically complain about vacation cost but out post-cruise stay on SB was very expensive. There is a Burger King, Subway and McDonald's near the HOliday Inn I think near Lincoln Road. The Subway is right near the HI and when we were there, an Outback Steakhouse. From Trent's posts it sounds like the HI is closing soon. Good luck!

Archived