Help!! Credit card charged iincorrectly. What do I do?

Birdnutty

Also, the charge is not unauthorized. You sign a slip at check-in that authorizes them to charge any amount they determine to correspond to your onboard spending. You can dispute their determination of the amount, but as far as your credit card company is concerned, you authorized the charge. You can still dispute the charge with them, but they don't handle a vendor dispute in at all the same way as an unauthorized charge (which is fraud/theft).

To the OP, I'm glad to hear this got cleared up. But the $300 on the first card (that you cancelled) was just a hold, right?

Also, the charge is not unauthorized. You sign a slip at check-in that authorizes them to charge any amount they determine to correspond to your onboard spending. You can dispute their determination of the amount, but as far as your credit card company is concerned, you authorized the charge. You can still dispute the charge with them, but they don't handle a vendor dispute in at all the same way as an unauthorized charge (which is fraud/theft).

To the OP, I'm glad to hear this got cleared up. But the $300 on the first card (that you cancelled) was just a hold, right?

No, it was charged, and it was legit. Somehow, my aging, feeble brain forgot aaaallll about the extra gratuities we put on there, and CruiseNext deposits. Its amazing how it adds up...

I know what you mean! I still wonder, though, how and why they charged your first card, though. Didn't you cancel it and give them a new card to charge everything to at the end of the cruise? How did you end up with two separate charges? (And how did they charge anything to a cancelled card??)

I know what you mean! I still wonder, though, how and why they charged your first card, though. Didn't you cancel it and give them a new card to charge everything to at the end of the cruise? How did you end up with two separate charges? (And how did they charge anything to a cancelled card??)

Probably because they already had a legimate authorization (hold) made on that card before it was cancelled, for the rest of the charges they couldn't get new authorizations so those were charged on the new card.

One can have multiple cards charged for settling the onboard account (apparently only one charge is made per card, so one can't play with payment dates (for different invoicing periods) if one wants to split the payment.

Edited by Demonyte

Probably because they already had a legimate authorization (hold) made on that card before it was cancelled, for the rest of the charges they couldn't get new authorizations so those were charged on the new card.
It sounds like that is what happened, but the front desk person told the OP specifically that it would not happen like that… It's fine in the OP's case, because they are OK with paying off both cards, although it added to their initial confusion. But this could cause problems in a case where someone decides mid-cruise that they don't want anything charged to the first card after all (for any number of reasons) and provides a different method of payment mid-cruise. This is definitely possible — they can let the hold(s) on the first card expire without confirming them — but apparently you cannot trust them to get it right at the front desk…

This won't help you really but make sure they were both not holds.

We hired a car in Coquitlam and they put a hold on of about CAD1200, on our Credit Card, as it was over a week hire. We paid the account on returning the car, about CAD950. Then it took over a month for the hold to come off the card!!

It was a good job that the card limit could cover it. MasterCard said that, in future, if a hold doesn't drop off in a week call them and they will sort within a couple of days.

Call your card people.

Hope it all comes out well for you.

Mike

I am Canadian and have repeatedly experienced the twice billed problem. For reasons I am unable to explain, Canadian processing treat pre-authorizations differently. On the final straw, I checked into a hotel for one night after our flight home from our cruise. We had multiple flight delays and our ride was unable to get to the airport at 1am when we finally arrived. My card was run, I bought a couple of snack items from the pantry and we checked out in the am and were on our way. My card was charged the full amount of the room when we first checked in and was charged the total bill including room and purchases upon check out. The US hotel's pre-authorization wasn't recognized as such by my Canadian credit card (CIBC Visa). It took almost 5 months to get it worked out and get my money back. Nobody's system showed that any over-billing happened, they just didn't jive. I was able to determine what happened this time because of the short stay and amounts and maintaining my hotel receipt.

Now, when traveling, I do not use my credit card for foreign hotels, gas or other such deposits. I leave cash at check-in. At check out, I can either pay with the card the full amount and get my cash back, or just let them keep the cash. On cruises, I never give them my credit card. I buy OBC and add cash to my on-board account as needed. It has served me well.

I wonder if because of the foreign currency exchange this happens. But I really don't know. Other people may have had different experiences, but I am convinced that my particular credit card and bank have an incongruity with foreign systems.

I'm sure the foreign currency nature of your situations made things more intricate and harder to straighten out. We have had several run-ins with hotels double or mis-charging us, (and they can be so challenging!) but not with cruises. We have been on over 40 cruises, so there's been ample opportunity. And we always have enough credit on our charge cards that a few holds like that will not hamper their usage while we're trying to get matters settled out.

I agree with hawkeyetise... You can't trust the front desk!!