Purchasing OBC Prior to cruise vs credit card hold

FlyingFishy

Just remember as has been discussed before, the cruise line can choose to cancel this pre bought obc (see recent examples on ncl forum) and choose to rebate which can cause a loss if the currency exchange has moved against you. Just a small thing for non Americans to keep in mind

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

And by the same token, the exchange rate between USD and Canadian dollars could be higher when you get your onboard account. No one has a crystal ball.

Really, a minor issue, and a personal choice. No big deal in my world for the amount of OBC I purchase.

If you purchase a large sum of OBC prior to your cruise (say, $1,000) will a hold of $840 be placed on your credit/debit card upon check-in for your onboard account (2 people, 7 day cruise)?

Thanks!

No, but if you use that OBC while on the trip, then you may be asked to replenish you on board account to maintain the buffer that would have been your CC hold.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about buying OBC before a cruise, and I just don't understand why people would do it. I am sure you must have a reason, it is just beyond my understanding. I would much rather my credit card be charged than to have to deal with getting a refund.

Caveat: I've never gotten a refund & I can only "afford" to go on a vacation every 2 or 3 years - so your financial situation may very well be very different than mine & to those who pre-pay for OBCs.

I pre-pay OBC's as a budgeting mechanism. (The interest in my banking doesn't make it worth while to keep it for the interest.)

Unfortunately, as a working stiff with a 401K that has quite a few times lost more than it has earned, I also am aware that if the money set aside for my vacation is in an account that can be accessed for life's incidentals than it will be accessed thusly.

Also I don't want to deal with the let down of a big bill after my vacation, so pre-paying helps. I also don't want my vacation to be 14-nights of "how much is that going to cost?" So until my voyage in the Summer of 2017, I will over time dutifully pay for my cruise, for the hotel service fee, for the signature beverage package, for my HAL & independent excursions, and a little extra OBC for my vacations incidentals. (While saving my vacation time at work.)

And by the same token, the exchange rate between USD and Canadian dollars could be higher when you get your onboard account. No one has a crystal ball.

>SNIP<

(bolding mine)

That's why we have the US $ bank account, and the US $ credit card now. We get to pick the rate that we buy at. Sometimes it is :) and sometimes it is :eek: but it is our choice, not the credit card company's.

When we used to buy OBCs in advance using Canadian dollars, we did it when the rate was tolerable (to us) so again, we knew in advance what it was costing. The thought of getting nailed on exchange because the rate is bad on the day we disembark bothers me a lot more than the remote possibility that for some random reason beyond my control HAL decides to refund me $s.