Bicycles to rent

DSCN8564.jpg

Located the lift / Elevator up to the sky walk

DSCN8565.jpg

DSCN8566.jpg

DSCN8567.jpg

DSCN8568.jpg

---------------------------

Just an aside..... I emailed Sydney airport luggage storage back in September with a query. Received a reply this morning.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Friends are serving cocktails

DSCN8491.jpg

First towel animals I've seen since boarding

DSCN8492.jpg

----------------------------

Captain Yannis just gave his daily location update. He always ends with a saying of some description. Today's is :

'I don't want life to imitate art' date=' I want it to be art.'[/quote']

What a beautiful setup for cocktails...very inviting, including the discrete towel doves behind the curtain in the window. Imitate that pose, and you too, could become art! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

I didn't get as far as I'd have liked in exploring the area. It was very, very hot and my failure to get my phone fixed played heavily on my morale. It shouldn't have but there it is.

DSCN8576.jpg

DSCN8577.jpg

DSCN8578.jpg

Mokuy by Nawurapu Wunungmurra, winner of the Telstra New Media Award, 27th Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award 2010.

DSCN8579.jpg

DSCN8581.jpg

DSCN8582.jpg

I head over to Cavenagh Street where I'm told any make of mobile phone can be repaired while you wait.

Heading the wrong way (of course)

DSCN8585.jpg

There is a plethora of lawyers officers in this area!

DSCN8586.jpg

DSCN8587.jpg

The outdoor shopping area on Smith Street

DSCN8588.jpg

DSCN8589.jpg

I head up to Oceanview where Pizza and Pasta is still on offer. They have remodelled the GF pizza into something much more substantial

DSCN8597.jpg

A really useful fan with map distributed to all on disembarking in Darwin

DSCN8598.jpg

The Private Dining Area in Murano

DSCN8600.jpg

Table for one. I am offered a choice of white or black napkin. I opt for white.

DSCN8601.jpg

I have taken my gifted wine with me..... I just remembered it seeing the pic.... need to remember to finish it one evening.

DSCN8603.jpg

There's a blurred pic of foccacia..... you can do without that.

This is the wine paired menu.....

DSCN8607.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Haven't been to Darwin in a few years, did you visit the Star Village in Smith Street? I have family in Darwin who own Star Village, used to be a theatre for years that was destroyed in Cyclone Tracy so they converted to shops and a penthouse. Vic hotel has sure changed from when I first saw it in 1965!

Haven't been to Darwin in a few years, did you visit the Star Village in Smith Street? I have family in Darwin who own Star Village, used to be a theatre for years that was destroyed in Cyclone Tracy so they converted to shops and a penthouse. Vic hotel has sure changed from when I first saw it in 1965!

I'm afraid my walking tour in Darwin was curtailed by the heat; I did go into a few places that appeared to be air conditioned but didn't walk down that side of the mall, wish I had.... I did venture ashore later in the evening but was nervous about walking around by myself.

--------------

Murano's

I've pictured the main menu in segments for easier reading

DSCN8605.jpg

DSCN8606.jpg

Don't laugh. I've forgotten to pop in my hearing aids. Am struggling. This is an Amuse Bouche. Tuna. That's all I got..... and the fact it was GF..... the waiter reiterated the GF authenticity of each dish as he placed it.... they don't always do this in the MDR

DSCN8611.jpg

The smoked salmon starter

DSCN8612.jpg

Sole.

DSCN8614.jpg

Dessert menu

DSCN8616.jpg

I found the recipe for this!!! Here

Crepe Ballon Rouge without the crepe. Still hot..... melting the ice-cream.... sigh.... sooooo good.

DSCN8628.jpg

Petits fours

DSCN8629.jpg

They are wrapped to go...... I understand I missed a fine cheese course.....

DSCN8630.jpg

I go ashore for a brief look around

DSCN8632.jpg

It's still possible to access the causeway

DSCN8633.jpg

The shuttles have stopped but taxis are still running. Many crew are heading ashore..... I understand many didn't get back until 5am!

DSCN8634.jpg

DSCN8636.jpg

DSCN8637.jpg

Heading to Litchfield Park. Our driver pulled over to the side of the road to accept a phone call.... there was a dingo right in his path

DSCN8639.jpg

DSCN8640.jpg

That's what's called a road train..... pulling three trailers

DSCN8642.jpg

It turns before us

DSCN8643.jpg

and went on

DSCN8644.jpg

and on

DSCN8645.jpg

and on

DSCN8646.jpg

We pass, or are passed by, quite a few of these. Some are empty but heading towards a place where they will be loaded with live animals for export, to be shipped out of Darwin. Our driver assures us this is an ethical practice. I do hope so.

The A1 highway is relatively broad and green. In this part of Australia it's known as the Stuart Highway; named after Scottish explorer John McDougall Stuart, who was the first European to cross Australia from south to north. There are water pipes above ground for a great deal of the way; in WWII they were built this way as, in the event of bombing, they would be easier to repair.

DSCN8647.jpg

We arrive in the town of Batchelor, about 100k south of Darwin. The original air field here was upgraded during WWII and became a major base for both the Royal Australian Air Force and the US Air Force.

DSCN8652.jpg

There's a miniature replica of Karlstein Castle built between 1974 and 1978 by Czechoslavakian Bernard Havlik. According to legend, he was so homesick that in his spare time after retiring from work at the Rum Jungle Uranium Mine, he set out building a beautiful castle to remind him of home. (ref : virtualtourist.com)

DSCN8656.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN8670.jpg

DSCN8671.jpg

It's quite a walk down..... I've mostly been walking down from Deck 14 to 3 so I feel fit enough for this. 135 stairs. 400 metres.

DSCN8672.jpg

DSCN8673.jpg

DSCN8674.jpg

We've bypassed the other buses and are here first..... some people are fearless and he gets in so fast! I take considerably longer.

DSCN8676.jpg

I'd brought a pair of water shoes with. So happy that I did. I'm so cautious with my hips and really scared of slipping. But I make it in over the rocks. The water is almost warm..... delightful. Clear. There are slim, dark fish about 9" long. There's a pic of me taken by one of the group and once it's shared will post. I'm conscious that I will not be the fastest out let alone walking back 1km along a creek path so I tenuously manage to help myself out over the rocks. Relieved to have made it in, swim and get out.

There's no way I can walk up the stairs back.

DSCN8679.jpg

An absolutely wonderful walk.

DSCN8680.jpg

DSCN8681.jpg

Across 'bridges' over rushing crystal clear waters

DSCN8682.jpg

DSCN8684.jpg

DSCN8687.jpg