The Pride in the Bay

Sir Cruise-a-Lot

I don't know if the speed is restricted, but it does always seem like we're going a few knots slower down the Bay, then when we get out into the Ocean. I'm not sure how long the pilot stays onboard - interestng question. My guess is just until out of Baltimore, but I'd be interested to find out from someone who knows.

I don't know if the speed is restricted, but it does always seem like we're going a few knots slower down the Bay, then when we get out into the Ocean. I'm not sure how long the pilot stays onboard - interestng question. My guess is just until out of Baltimore, but I'd be interested to find out from someone who knows.

I agree. I believe she clocks a few knots slower until she gets to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge–Tunnel and into the Atlantic.

Is the Pride and other ships restricted in speed (knots) in the bay? Also does the pilot take the ship to Norfolk or just out of the harbor in Baltimore? With two bridges and a bridge/tunnel to navigate I was wondering.

I don't know it to be a fact, but living in Baltimore my whole life I have been lead to believe that the pilots takes ships southbound to Norfolk.... where they pick up another northbound ship heading back to Baltimore.

ahhh, found this info. This should answer that question.....

By state law, every ship that enters Maryland waters must have a state-licensed pilot at its helm, steering massive ships from the sea into port. That means that every vessel bound for Baltimore must be met by a pilot at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, where she or he takes command of the ship. Throughout this voyage, pilots steer their ships through a 50-foot deep channel, with sometimes as little clearance between the bottom of the ship and the bottom of the Bay as three feet. Once the ship reaches the Key Bridge, a docking pilot takes over the helm and brings the ship into its berth in the Port.

Can anyone tell me what time you pass through the Bay Bridge? Then the Bay Bridge and Tunnel? Don't want to miss going under them!

Well, that's a difficult question to answer lately, since it seems Pride is very often late leaving and arriving. However, back when they seemed to keep to the schedule, you would be passing under The Bay Bridge at about 7:45PM. And over the tunnel of The BB&T somewhere around midnight. You actually don't go under the BB&T - you go through a gap in the bridge, over one of the tunnels.;) It's pretty cool.

By state law, every ship that enters Maryland waters must have a state-licensed pilot at its helm, steering massive ships from the sea into port. That means that every vessel bound for Baltimore must be met by a pilot at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, where she or he takes command of the ship. Throughout this voyage, pilots steer their ships through a 50-foot deep channel, with sometimes as little clearance between the bottom of the ship and the bottom of the Bay as three feet. Once the ship reaches the Key Bridge, a docking pilot takes over the helm and brings the ship into its berth in the Port.

Good info. My understanding is that the Captain remains in command at all times and the pilot is there to help guide the ship and crew.

I can't find it now (I'm not on my laptop), but right after a hurricane hit there was an a blog post written by a CB pilot who wrote about his experience on the Pride during the storm. It was really cool post and included photos from the ship during the storm. I am hoping a still have a PDF of it saved because Google is coming up empty for me on my iPad.

Found the teaser article--hoping to track down the actual thing later.

http://oceanlines.biz/2011/09/when-chesapeake-bay-becomes-a-hurricane-hole-for-a-ship/

Found one of the articles...

http://www.chesapeakeboating.net/Media/Feature-Stories/Dancing-with-Irene.aspx

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I can't find it now (I'm not on my laptop), but right after a hurricane hit there was an a blog post written by a CB pilot who wrote about his experience on the Pride during the storm. It was really cool post and included photos from the ship during the storm. I am hoping a still have a PDF of it saved because Google is coming up empty for me on my iPad.

Found the teaser article--hoping to track down the actual thing later.

http://oceanlines.biz/2011/09/when-chesapeake-bay-becomes-a-hurricane-hole-for-a-ship/

Found one of the articles...

http://www.chesapeakeboating.net/Media/Feature-Stories/Dancing-with-Irene.aspx

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!