Tours in New Zealand

Sideshowmel

I was doing some research ahead of our cruise to New Zealand in January 2017. When I looked at some of the top rated tour companies, according to TripAdvisor, for some of the ports that we are visiting, they were unavailable to do tours for us without going through Holland America. It appears that Holland America has already booked them. Is this common for NZ ports? I am more use to being able to book them without needing the cruise ship. For example, I can't book my own Taieri Express in Dunedin because the train is booked, I can't book a Lord of the Rings tour in Akaroa because Holland America offers their tour and I can't get to Cape Kidnappers in Napier without going through the cruise line. I am trying to see what options are available out there since the markup by the cruise lines is usually quite high. Thanks for the assistance.

With regards to Dunedin Railways (formerly Taieri Gorge Trains), they usually have a chartered train booked by the cruise lines that collect passengers directly from the Port Chalmers wharf. This cannot be booked on their website.

However you can book the Taieri Gorge trip to Pukerangi - this departs from the Dunedin Railway Station and can be booked directly (I just checked availability for next January and is showing as seats available for every day). You would need to catch the shuttle from Port Chalmers to the Octagon and then walk three blocks east to the railway station.

I was doing some research ahead of our cruise to New Zealand in January 2017. When I looked at some of the top rated tour companies, according to TripAdvisor, for some of the ports that we are visiting, they were unavailable to do tours for us without going through Holland America.

It is common practice for the cruise lines to have exclusive contracts with certain tour operators. In ports w/ few options, many times all the available tour operators could very well be held to those agreements.

We're sailing the South Pacific from Sydney Jan. 5 2017. W/O any ports in New Zealand. W/ the timing of New Years our plans are to fly to Auckland 4-5 days early, do a land tour, then meet our ship in Sydney on the 5th.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to clarify, once we get off the ship we catch a shuttle(city run?)

to Octagon which is the city center?

From there we are to walk 3 blocks(easy to find?) to the rail station.

Is this the beautiful station they feature?

I purchase a round trip ticket, I know this seem silly question, but... I need to be clear. That ship won't wait. Some trip take a coach bus back. The round trip is then 4hrs? or is the 4hrs. one way?

Is this not the same train Royal Caribbean (etc.) will be hiring? Princess leaves from the dock. Royal C. doesn't show N.Z. excursions yet.

A certain c-----.com offers this trip $199. for wine, cheese and shuttle and includes a tour that extends the trip for 8 hour. Price isn't bad but I didn't think I want to be gone 8 hrs. This excursion leaves at 8:30 from ship to train station with half hour there, so this is the same train again right?

With regards to Dunedin Railways (formerly Taieri Gorge Trains), they usually have a chartered train booked by the cruise lines that collect passengers directly from the Port Chalmers wharf. This not be booked on their website.

However you can book the Taieri Gorge trip to Pukerangi - this departs from the Dunedin Railway Station and can be booked directly (I just checked availability for next January and is showing as seats available for every day). You would need to catch the shuttle from Port Chalmers to the Octagon and then walk three blocks east to the railway station.

I purchase a round trip ticket, I know this seem silly question, but... I need to be clear. That ship won't wait. Some trip take a coach bus back. The round trip is then 4hrs? or is the 4hrs. one way?

Is this not the same train Royal Caribbean (etc.) will be hiring? Princess leaves from the dock. Royal C. doesn't show N.Z. excursions yet.

A certain c-----.com offers this trip $199. for wine, cheese and shuttle and includes a tour that extends the trip for 8 hour. Price isn't bad but I didn't think I want to be gone 8 hrs. This excursion leaves at 8:30 from ship to train station with half hour there, so this is the same train again right?

Yes - the shuttle trip takes about 15 minutes to get you right into the heart of Dunedin (the Octagon). And yes, it is our world famous railway station that the train departs from! IMO it looks much better from the city side as you walk towards it than from the rail line side!

There is only the one train company in Dunedin, but they do have several trains operating. There are different trips with different end times. The $15 price for the shuttle is a return as far as I can make out from other CC members. There is also a taxi stand in the Octagon if you need it.

Hope this answers most of your questions!

You have nothing to worry about by doing this trip on your own.

There are 2 trains that do this trip. If only one ship in port then one goes from the ship and the other from the station.

If there are 2 ships in port then both trains are allocated to the ships so then you cant do this privately.

Email Dunedin railwYs and they will clarify.

The train returns to Dunedin early afternoon giving you time to visit the Cadbury Chocolate factory on your way back to the Octogon. You can also book a town tour from the i-site (information centre) in town that actually takes you right back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our New Zealand and Australia cruise. We went on tours in all of the ports except Napier. None of the tours were booked with the cruise line.

We booked our tours either with companies I found through Trip Advisor or through Viator.

Try going to the roll calls for your sailing. Many of the roll call members booked through Viator or private tour companies. We were able to book a tour together to get a lower rate in Hobart using EyeSee tours.

We had debated on doing the Lord of the Rings tour in Akaroa and maybe we should have. What put us off is that it is a long bus ride in both directions so much of the day is spent on the bus. Given the long distance to the filming sites in this area, it might be a good idea to book with the cruise line. We were told its a 2 to 2 1/2 hour bus ride one way or 4-5 hours round trip.

I will recommend the Lord of the Rings tour in Tauranga that we booked through Viator which took us to Hobbiton and also to Roturua. Excellent.

Also did a half day Lord of the Rings tour in Wellington, also booked through Viator for less than half the price than a similar tour offered through the cruise line. It was much cheaper and a bit longer tour with a great deal of personal attention. Only 9 in the group.

Edited by vmom