What happened to the 11 day Mexican Riviera itinerary

Hawk15

NCL Sun was scheduled for three 11 day Mexican Riviera cruises leaving San Diego in the fall of 2016. Last week all 3 sailings were showing availability but now all 3 have disappeared from the NCL site. Anyone know why?

I would not be surprised if they had to reschedule the refurbishment. There is no way they could get the proposed changes done in the time they have reserved in April. I would guess that is also why they have not posted the October 2017 and beyond schedule. There are supposed to be some cabin changes during the refurbishment so that needs to be ironed out before they can go on sale.

When I called NCL, the rep didn't really have any answers. His "best guess" was at this point the ship has probably been chartered out but to keep checking back because things could change. This doesn't really make sense to me but that is what I was told.

I just spoke to someone at NCL as well. He didn't really have any answers either. His best guess was that all 3 sailings are already sold out (seemed unlikely to both him and me) as he mentioned none of those sailings are available in his reservation system either (so it's not just a website glitch apparently as he checked both the website and some separate system he had access to). He did look up the Sun's dry dock schedule and said there is nothing scheduled for October and he had nothing in his notes that there is any mention of cancellation of these sailings. Let's hope that holds true. We will be major bummed if they cancel our sailing and we have to give up our first ever aft sailing experience. DH and I have already put in for these days off work too so I hope we don't have to come up with alternative plans. Please don't cancel on us NCL! Keeping fingers crossed! :)

Hi There,

Can you provide the sailing dates for these voyages specifically. I know someone said the month of October but 3 sailings suddenly missing seems like a lot for a charter. If it were one then I would think that would be the case but the date ranges could help us figure out what's what.

Thanks! :)

Hi There,

Can you provide the sailing dates for these voyages specifically. I know someone said the month of October but 3 sailings suddenly missing seems like a lot for a charter. If it were one then I would think that would be the case but the date ranges could help us figure out what's what.

Thanks! :)

Three separate 11 night Mexican Riviera cruises on NCL Sun: September 30-October 11, 2016; October 11-22, 2016; and October 22-November 2, 2016. Thank you for any assistance.

I would not be surprised if they had to reschedule the refurbishment. There is no way they could get the proposed changes done in the time they have reserved in April. I would guess that is also why they have not posted the October 2017 and beyond schedule. There are supposed to be some cabin changes during the refurbishment so that needs to be ironed out before they can go on sale.

Does anyone know if it will still be offering the South America cruise in 2018? The 7 night cruise is great as can combine with a 7 night land trip as well.

I called my PCC last week as I noticed they're missing as well. He checked and said I'm still scheduled on the October 11th sailing and that they are all booked and that's why they're not listed on their website.

I hope he's right. I haven't purchased air yet from Phila to San Diego but am checking from time to time for flights and price.

I'd be pretty pissed if I end up purchasing air and then they notify me it's been cancelled - after being told they're just booked full.

Harriet

I called my PCC last week as I noticed they're missing as well. He checked and said I'm still scheduled on the October 11th sailing and that they are all booked and that's why they're not listed on their website.

I hope he's right. I haven't purchased air yet from Phila to San Diego but am checking from time to time for flights and price.

I'd be pretty pissed if I end up purchasing air and then they notify me it's been cancelled - after being told they're just booked full.

Harriet

I spoke to an NCL rep this morning and her supervisor confirmed for her that they are all sold out. Apparently there were offerings that combined multiple sailings into longer itineraries that ate up all the available dates. At least that's what they told me. I'm going to wait another bit before I book air though. Maybe in a month.

:eek:It does kind of make sense that the last Sun 11 night cruise could be sold out (Oct 22, 2016) due to coupling it with another cruise to extend ones time at sea. BUT, I don't buy why ALL 3 of the 11 night Mex Riviera cruises (9/30; 10/11; & 10/22) would be de-listed as Sold-out. Yes, they could be sold-out, but Why not JUST say so?? I have an interest on the 10/11 sailing, but truly don't understand the goings on with NCL. Why the secrecy at all??:confused::confused::confused:

:eek:It does kind of make sense that the last Sun 11 night cruise could be sold out (Oct 22, 2016) due to coupling it with another cruise to extend ones time at sea. BUT, I don't buy why ALL 3 of the 11 night Mex Riviera cruises (9/30; 10/11; & 10/22) would be de-listed as Sold-out. Yes, they could be sold-out, but Why not JUST say so?? I have an interest on the 10/11 sailing, but truly don't understand the goings on with NCL. Why the secrecy at all??:confused::confused::confused:

Yeah I think that is very strange as well. And what are the odds that all three would be "sold out" at the exact same time and all three removed from the website at the exact same time? And if all three truly are sold out why not just say that with certainty to each person who called? So far we've heard possibly a charter, possible/probable sell outs, and confirmed sell outs.

I'm still booked on the October 22 sailing and have not received any word of a cancellation but I am going to wait at least another few months before booking airfare from Seattle to San Diego.

Experience

THE NORWEGIAN EDGE

Ship Enhancements

Upcoming DRY DOCKS

Norwegian Ships

Dry Dock Schedule

Pride of America Q1 2016

Norwegian Sun Q2 2016

Norwegian Dawn Q2 2016

Norwegian Spirit Q1 2017

Norwegian Sky Q1 2017

Norwegian Pearl Q1 2017

Norwegian Jade Q1 2017

The Sun is coming back from Alaska on Sept 26 maybe a stop in San Francisco for Drydock

I'm afraid Harriet you will get the same letter i received for my upcoming dawn cruise in June

My bet is you are going to get a letter in the next month

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Yeah I think that is very strange as well. And what are the odds that all three would be "sold out" at the exact same time and all three removed from the website at the exact same time? And if all three truly are sold out why not just say that with certainty to each person who called? So far we've heard possibly a charter, possible/probable sell outs, and confirmed sell outs.

I'm still booked on the October 22 sailing and have not received any word of a cancellation but I am going to wait at least another few months before booking airfare from Seattle to San Diego.

I get where you are coming from. I want to believe what the sales rep told me. She DID get off the line for about 10 minutes to check with her supervisor and her answer seemed sincere when she came back, I'm also hesitant to go booking any flights. The really annoying thing is there is something else I could do that would fit that slot nicely but I'm afraid that by the time NCL finally gets there act together, that the other trip will be sold out! It's very confusing. :confused:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the Sun goes into drydock? I had heard Q2, but now that October is the only month that's showing no sailings for her, I'm beginning to wonder...

Hi again Bob! How was your last cruise (not as long as you had planned, right?)? We had a good time on the Jewel to Mexico around the same time in January.

As for the Sun, Q2 would correspond to the current dry dock set for April (after South America and before Alaska). Seems it's only 8 days.

Edited by theloo

Hi again Bob! How was your last cruise (not as long as you had planned, right?)? We had a good time on the Jewel to Mexico around the same time in January.

As for the Sun, Q2 would correspond to the current dry dock set for April (after South America and before Alaska). Seems it's only 8 days.

Hello Donna! Actually my trip turned out LONGER. Everything on the Escape went off without a hitch, except that it rained for my 3 pre cruise days in Miami. :mad: But then I got an email while I was on board the ship from United warning that flights back to NY were likely to be cancelled because of the impending blizzard, :eek: and that I could move mine without a penalty. So I got the flight moved to the following Monday, and added 2 days in a hotel. So I get to the airport on Monday and Newark had cancelled all of THOSE flights because the runways were still a mess. I finally got home on Wednesday. Poor me, I spent 4 days more in Miami, sitting by the pool (the sun had finally come out down there!) instead of being on a blizzard. :)

Anyhow, thanks for the news about the Sun. I will wait for the drydock in April and THEN I'll feel OK about booking my flights to San Diego. How was Cabo? Did you guys enjoy Mexico? No problems on my next cruise in May, that one is sailing out of NY!:D

Glad you enjoyed your vacation and you were able to escape the bad weather in NY. I thought I remembered that your pre-cruise cruise was cancelled, but I guess you just made that a land-based add-on ;)

Cabo was great. We did a private tour with Whale Watch Cabo and though one of my little ones got sick, it was a good trip, perfect weather and we saw lots of whales. I think you will be missing the whale season in October. Mazatlan and PV were good too, but we didn't have enough time there. Literally. In PV, we barely made the all-aboard time and had misplaced our ship cards too, but we did get back. We wouldn't mind taking that same cruise again :)

FYI: I think one of the posters here thought I was an official from NCL. I don't work for the line. I have their old logo as an avatar only. Sorry for any confusion.

FWIW: I really would NOT book airfare at this point. Something, as other posters have stated, seems amiss. I would wait until at least next month or until her dry dock is completed before doing anything more (like air and hotels for those flying into San Diego).

FWIW: I really would NOT book airfare at this point. Something, as other posters have stated, seems amiss. I would wait until at least next month or until her dry dock is completed before doing anything more (like air and hotels for those flying into San Diego).

Yep, that's my plan at this point. Something does not seem right here so I'm going to wait until at least May (the dry dock is in April) before booking airfare and hotel. I'm starting to wonder if they are holding the month of October for additional dry dock work if everything they plan on doing in April does not get completed during that time frame. And only 8 days in the April dry dock is not very much time.

Still trying to be cautiously optimistic but it's out of my control whatever happens. Worse case scenario, we fly directly to Mexico instead and stay there for 10 days if they cancel the cruise. But having my first ever aft mini suite experience sounds like the much better option! :D

Yep, that's my plan at this point. Something does not seem right here so I'm going to wait until at least May (the dry dock is in April) before booking airfare and hotel. I'm starting to wonder if they are holding the month of October for additional dry dock work if everything they plan on doing in April does not get completed during that time frame. And only 8 days in the April dry dock is not very much time.

Still trying to be cautiously optimistic but it's out of my control whatever happens. Worse case scenario, we fly directly to Mexico instead and stay there for 10 days if they cancel the cruise. But having my first ever aft mini suite experience sounds like the much better option! :D

I agree - am also waiting to book flight and hotel as we'll be flying in a day early. However, IF they cancel it I plan to rebook something else and they BETTER allow me to keep the perks I now have. The new perks don't include DSC and with this trip it does. That's a lot of money! LOL

Harriet

I have no idea if the April dry dock changes have anything to do with the Sun's Fall 2016 itineraries, but here's what I do know....

The repo from South America ends in San Francisco on April 29. According to the Port of SF cruise ship schedule (link below), the Sun departs SF on April 29 at 11:00am destined to Portland, Or (for dry docking).

The ship "reappears" in San Francisco again on May 8 for an 8-night cruise to Vancouver, where the Alaska season begins from Vancouver on May 16. Note: This 8 night sailing from SF departing May 8 was added around the middle of January, meaning the Portland dry dock was originally going to be longer with the ship's first post-dry dock cruise being the May 16 sailing from Vancouver.

http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2671

Again, I have no idea if the shortened Spring 2016 dry dock has anything to do with the Fall's Mexican Riviera itineraries.....

On a side note, I work in an internal Operations Department for a large transportation company. When we receive news of a service interruption, we take affected schedules off sale for obvious reasons. In most all cases, until the company publically announces a cancellation or service interruption, the folks working the phones in our public call centers don't have a clue as to why an itinerary is taken off sale.

I just wrote to our T/A to ask if she has heard anything.

If it was sold out, wouldn't it stay up at least until final payment, when there are normally some cancellations?

I can see them selling out - we San Diego cruisers have been starving for local cruises, we have had very few options the last several years. When we heard about these cruises early last year, we jumped on it, even though we never had a desire to try NCL.

If they stay in San Diego, I predict NCL will be our new favorite line :)