Food In Roatan

russw40

The wife and I are going to be on the NCL Sun Oct. 16 cruise. We don't want to get off the boat except to sample the local cuisine (and beer);) . Any suggestions (close to the pier) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!:)

Russ

Go to HB Warrens one of our supermarkets. It's a short walk into town from the dock. They have a counter restaurant there where you can have a drink and eat some comida tipica. You'll be amongst the locals and get a sense of real life on Roatan, also you can buy Vanilla and Coffee and any other things you want for the remainder of your trip.

Have fun.

Island Dweller

• 2 weeks later...
Go to HB Warrens one of our supermarkets. It's a short walk into town from the dock. They have a counter restaurant there where you can have a drink and eat some comida tipica. You'll be amongst the locals and get a sense of real life on Roatan, also you can buy Vanilla and Coffee ...

Island Dweller:

What is the avg. cost for coffee and vanilla?:)

Thanks in Advance!

Russ,

I/D neglected to mention the most important thing - the beers. There are two local brews, both products of the "Cervezeria de Hondurena." The brewery was founded by a German who moved to Honduras, so both beers have a distinct German/European influence. They are frequently ordered by just asking for a "brown beer" or a "green beer" - distinction being the color of the bottle, not the color of the beer.

Port Royal (green) - good, lighter bodied lager; to me it is very similar to a Heineken.

Salva Vida (brown) - also a lager style; a little heavier, fuller taste than the PR.

I prefer the SV, wifey prefers the PR. Both are pretty darn good. There is also a somewhat local rum that is very good, called Flor de Cana. The more aged variety (I think it's 10 year) is extremely smooth.

I'm a Green Beer girl myself (Port Royal). We locals go by the color of the bottle when ordering beer: Green (Port Royal), Brown (Salva Vida), Clear (Bahia) as for Imperial I don't know what the nickname of that is. So if I wanted 2 Salvas and 1 Port, I'd ask for 2 Browns and 1 Green. :)

Not a rum drinker, but FYI Flor De Cana is from Nicaragua, and a lot of people like it here. The 25 year one is apparently very special.

Anyway, I'm missing the question. Coffee costs about $4.00 (1/2 lb), Vanilla $1 - 2.00.

Island Dweller

Go to HB Warrens one of our supermarkets. It's a short walk into town from the dock. They have a counter restaurant there where you can have a drink and eat some comida tipica. You'll be amongst the locals and get a sense of real life on Roatan, also you can buy Vanilla and Coffee and any other things you want for the remainder of your trip.

Have fun.

Island Dweller

Island Dweller: First off, I would like to say that I hope you and your family and friends are safe from the Hurricane. I heard Beta did hit Hondoruas. I am waiting to hear from CSI Orphanage and pray they are safe.

What exactly is Comida Tipica? I had the Grilled honey glazed lobster at I beliee Half Moon Bay and it was the best Lobster I've ever had. It's a must have. I would take a cab there just for the lobster alone. I believe it was either $12 or $16 dollars for 3 lobster tails....highly recommend it!

Beta gave us lots of rain. I would have to say on Sunday we got a foot of rain. Still rainy today, but that's to do with a Norther we've got hanging around. Thanks so much for asking, the Bay Islands dodged another Bullet!

Vanilla, it's about an 8 oz bottle... I'll be back on that a little later today when I've been to a shop to get the answer, cos I'm guessing right now! ;)

Hi Littlebit

How did the four ambassadors work out in Miami ?

My reservations aren't until May 2006 :) I know...I am way ahead of myself, but like to have everything taken care of in advance. :p

I still haven't found anyone who has stayed at The Four Ambassador, so if you hear anything or ever come across pictures - please let me know. The place does seem nice and has everything you need. I found out they have a Brazilian Steakhouse, Sushi Restaurant, Beauty Salon, $5.00 cab ride to the pier, 2 swimming pools and the price is right...what more can you ask for :-)

Beta gave us lots of rain. I would have to say on Sunday we got a foot of rain. Still rainy today, but that's to do with a Norther we've got hanging around. Thanks so much for asking, the Bay Islands dodged another Bullet!

Vanilla, it's about an 8 oz bottle... I'll be back on that a little later today when I've been to a shop to get the answer, cos I'm guessing right now! ;)

What is so special about the Vanilla? I may just have to pick some up the next time I visit.

Hi Littlebit

How did the four ambassadors work out in Miami ?

Hey Tbone, looks like you will be in the four ambassadors before me...make sure to take lots of pictures of the rooms, pool interior...of course if you don't mind :rolleyes:

By the way...are you staying in the larger suite (sleeps 6) or the smaller one that sleeps 4? I have both rooms booked - just wondering how big they actually are.

Sorry everyone, totally neglected to Comida Tipica question. It would be tortilla, refried beans, rice, some Honduran cheese, chicken and maybe plantains. Generally Hondurans eat 4 to 5 different carbs in one meal. Rice, beans, tortilla and pollo (chicken) are staples of the diet.

Vanilla, I'm not a sweet eater or baker, so I don't personally buy vanilla. The vanilla I spoke of earlier is vanilla essense, a product from San Pedro Sula on the mainland of Honduras. It comes in a plastic bottle with a blue label on it.

Hope this answers some questions.

Best Regards,

Island Dweller

Island Dweller: you have already done so much for us, dare I ask for more? Please don't go out of your way, but the next time you are in the store, can you see the ingredients and see if it Vanilla extract and if there are any other ingredients or if it is 100% natural?

TIA!:)

• 3 months later...

Archived