Where are the Galveston experts??

MaiTaiMary

For our September cruise, we are flying in the night before our cruise and spending the night in Galveston. Last time we spend in night in Houston and took the Carnival shuttle the morning of the cruise. We are looking into a private shuttle to get us to and from the HOU airport.

We are a family of 5. Which hotels in Galveston do you recommend? I'm not quite sure what we are looking for. Something reasonable and a good location, I guess.

Any restaurant recommendations in Galveston for that night?

What is the easiest way to then get to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise? Taxi?

Thank you! Any other tips? :D

The Victorian is a nice hotel that has condo-like accomodations. it's on the Seawall, and they offer transportation to the port.

Harbor House is within walking distance, and is on the pier.

The Holiday Inn (by the Convention Center) is fairly nice, has a ground floor room that is a "kids camp" room that has a private patio and direct access to the pool. (kinda pricey). The SunSpree Resort Holiday Inn is pretty nice, and I think closer to the port as well.

you could also go all out and go to Moody Gardens - their hotel is nice and it's also right by Schlitterbahn.

For dinner, depends on what you like.

The Olympia grill (greek) is good, as is Rudy and Pacos (brazilian, not churrascaria - requires nicer attire). Or if you like Hibachi and/or sushi, Yamatos on 61st is good

Edited by Starflyr3

thank you so much! I'm starting to check out rates and availability and I'm surprised how many hotels in the area:

A. need a minimum 2 night stay

B. won't accommodate 5 people (2 Adults/3 kids)

Now that I see we are looking at probably $250/night for a hotel, I think we are going to keep dinner that night to something very casual/reasonably priced. The more I think about it, this is really just a mandatory "night before our cruise" and our true vacation doesn't begin until the next day. :D

We usually stay at the Country Inns and Suites (not to be confused with the COMFORT Inn). Nice hotel, indoor pool, right on the seawall, close to a lot of things.

In September (after the Labor Day crowds) you can get a room (senior rate) for about $65. And it's a nice room. Now, don't go look at the prices today... because it will be almost $200 (spring break rates). But in late Sep, Oct, early Dec those rates will drop significantly.

We've also stayed at other hotels, such as the Hilton. Nice but pricey.

From most any hotel in Galveston, a taxi to the pier will only run you about $15, and it's about a 10-15 min ride. Since you have 5 people, you may need to order a taxi van, which I've seen people do. I don't thinks it cost much more, maybe a few dollars.

Unless you are getting into Galveston early enough to really enjoy it, consider staying overnight in Houston and going to Galveston the day of the cruise. Book a hotel that has a free airport shuttle. As for the transfer to Galveston, there are several limo companies that shuttle. Even a taxi costs less than the ship's shuttle if you have 4 or more (maybe even 3 or more) people. Call Yellow Cab for a quote.

Check this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Advantages of staying in Houston the night before the cruise:

* Cheaper. As you found out, Galveston hotels are often pricey.

* If your flight is delayed, you don't have extra waiting charges added to any booked limo.

* You can eat earlier, rather than waiting until you get to Galveston -- a big plus if you have hungry kids and a flight that arrives later in the day.

Edited by Jimnbigd

In September (after the Labor Day crowds) you can get a room (senior rate) for about $65. And it's a nice room. Now, don't go look at the prices today... because it will be almost $200 (spring break rates). But in late Sep, Oct, early Dec those rates will drop significantly.

I'm not sure what you're saying. If we BOOK in September the rates will be much lower? I really don't feel comfortable waiting until the last minute. I looked at the rates now for the end of September date we need and it's $259/night.

I'm not sure what you're saying. If we BOOK in September the rates will be much lower? I really don't feel comfortable waiting until the last minute. I looked at the rates now for the end of September date we need and it's $259/night.

I usually book a room at two different places...where I really want to stay and a place I will settle for. I keep checking the prices every couple of weeks. When I feel confident the price will probably not drop any lower, then I cancel one. If the price drops on my favorite one, then I call and have them give me the new lower rate. A lot of the hotels on the island will have a shuttle to the ships.

Our favorite place to eat is The Landing aka Millers' Landing on Seawall Blvd. It has great Gulf seafood at very reasonable prices and no dressing up required. Good luck!