Questions about the Grandeur--leaving friday for 9 day cruise!!!

Hi everyone,

This will be our first cruise. I'm so excited!!! We're leaving on friday for the 9 day western caribbean cruise. We're bringing along a 2 year old, and a 4 year old.

The first port of call will be Freeport, Bahamas. All the travel books that I've read instructs us to take a taxi to a beach (Xanadu), but to bargain with the taxi drivers first to get a flat rate for the ride. How much is too much? And how much should I expect to pay? Is it relatively easy to find a taxi to take us back to the ship once we're on the beach?

Also, when we are in Cozumel, if we do not dock at the international pier, we may have to take a taxi to the beach. How much should we be paying for the taxi ride?

How many formal nights will there be? Can I get away with wearing black pants with fancy velvet tops? I just didn't want to carry a huge suitcase. Do we have to dress up every night?

Is the library onboard a good one? I thougt about packing some books, but if the library is well equipped, I may not bother.

How is the gym onboard? Did they offer cardio classes? Were they an additional charge?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks so much!!!:)

You will be taking a taxi to the beach regardless of where you dock in Coz. The rates depend on which beach you go to. Visit cozumelinsider.com

personally I'd go to Paridise Beach, south of the main town. Excellent food, water toys for a small fee nice umbrelas chairs and hammocks for free.

Have fun

JW paradise Beach is in Cozumel.

Sweetpeamd there is a bunch of us who will be cruising with you. We have our own post and we have been talking for some time. Here is a link to our post, stop in and join in. Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=127921

Thanks for sending me the link. I'll definitely check it out. I'm trying not to overpack. I normally pack really light, but not having access to a coin laundry mat will be tough.

Where do I sign up for the Meet and Greet? I'm getting really excited. The hubby is a bit more weary of cruises from what he's heard from friends who've experienced cruises. So, maybe meeting new people at the Meet and Greet will be fun for him.

I sailed on the Grandeur nine night out of Baltimore a few months ago and had an absolute blast...There are two formal nights on this cruise, bring your own books, and there were cardio classes offered some free of charge, some for a nominal fee. Alternatives to cardio classes would be dancing classes...Trust me the Line Dancing class will really take a lot out of you! Feel free to ask any additonal questions, and have a GREAT cruise vacation.

From the 9 day Grandeur-

We had to miss Freeport cause of bad weather so I can't help you there.

Bring your own books- I forgot mine and the selection wasn't very good.

If your 4yo is like my son Ryan, he/she'll love the Adventure Ocean program. He always wanted to go to his club.

Have a blast!

Donna

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I logged into the "rollcall" board. I'll register for the meet and mingle later today. Is it okay to bring the kids to the meet and greet? I think the oldest will be able to go to the kids' club, but the young one might be too young to join her.

Who's excited? ME!!!!!!:) Ugh, not being a very good housewife today. I should be doing laundry, and unloading the dishwasher, but am totally addicted to looking up everything "Grandeur." Thank God the kids are napping....

Oh, is the port in Baltimore easy to get to?

We are just back from the 9-day cruise on the Grandeur. You will love it.

To answer your questions:

1. Library - didn't make it there, but in the past, I've always found my own books that I bring are best.

2. Cardio classes - some free and some charged $10 per session

3. Beaches - Take the Passion Island Escape excursion. The beach is gorgeous and the tour guides take care of you 100% of the time. ..and the buffet authentic mexican lunch was awesome.

Enjoy - you are going to love it.

Have a great cruise! We are taking the same one in 17 days!

I am personally staying on the ship in Freeport, and probably doing the spa. Last time I was in Nassau I kept getting hounded by people trying to sell me stuff, and I haven't heard anything exciting about Freeport.

I believe I read on another thread that the cab fare to Paradise Beach in Cozumel is around $4. (Not sure if that is per person.)

Make sure to sign up for your Meet n Mingle ASAP, registration closes 3 days before sailing. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

There are some Yoga and Pilates classes that cost $10 extra. But I think regular exercising on machines, etc. is free.

Have fun!!!

Your outfits sound just fine for formal nights. There was a real mix. Not dressy other nights. Casual capris, sweaters, khakis, skirts. Again, a mix but most did adhere to the no shorts rule..... but with table cloths, who would really even know what you had on your lower half!

Archived