October 8 on the Fantasy questions

mokiemokiemokie

I'm looking at booking the 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy leaving on Oct. 8.

1. Is Halloween celebrated on the ship like it is in the park? (Decorations, Halloween party, costumes etc)

2. Is deck 7 a good deck to be on with two 6 year olds?

3. How do you get from the airport in Orlando to the ship? Is there a shuttle? What's the cost? What's the earliest flight I should book heading home?

4. Is a family room with a balcony worth the cost? (We're a family of 4).

Thanks in advance for your answers!

1. Yes. It is called "Halloween on the High Seas."

2. Any deck is a good deck to be on with kids of any age. The Oceaneer's Club and Lab are on deck 5. The adult only area are toward the front of the ship. Sports, mini golf, etc. are toward the aft.

3.There are multiple choices. DCL offers a bus transportation that includes luggage service (similar to Magical Express for WDW) at a cost of $35 per person each way. You can rent a car at MCO with a drop off in Cape Canaveral for about $50 + gas + tolls, but that involves more effort on your part. You can have a limo/towncar service take you for about the same price as DCL transfers for 4, but you'll need to claim your own luggage and take it with you to the terminal.

Ease and convenience are inversely related. Car is cheapest and most work. DCL transfers cost a lot but are totally easy.

Disney recommends that you not book a departing flight before 12.

4. A balcony is a personal decision. How much time are you going to spend in your cabin? Your kids are too old for naps, so you don't need a place to hang out while they sleep. We've stayed in all types of cabins. A balcony is nice, but I look at the cost. When a balcony costs twice as much as an inside cabin....well, once you are on the ship, everyone except concierge is the same and there are LOTS of public outside areas. On the other hand, if I can get a balcony for a decent rate, I'm happy to enjoy it. On the Fantasy, the virtual portholes in the inside staterooms are fun--we booked an inside room just to have one. The kids would enjoy it. It is really a personal choice.

Thank you!

A few more questions:

1. Do you book directly through Disney or do you book through another site like Expedia? Right now Expedia is offering a $500 on board credit (it looks like) for the room I'd book and also 50% off the deposit fee due.

2. Looks like on Expedia the only thing offered is the 8:30pm dinner. How firm is that? My kids are usually in bed by 8pm!

Personally, I would stay away from travel agencies like the one you mentioned. You will have a hard time getting ANY service after the sale. $500 OBC is a lot--what are you booking? Or does it say "UP TO $500" which means that if you book the royal suite you'll get the $500 but the normal booking will be more like $100?

I use an agency that specializes in DCL but has a bricks and mortar office with real people as well as a huge on line presence and an 800 number. They are open evenings and weekends--not 24/7, but lots of hours. And they are a full service agency, meaning that they will handle flights, private insurance, etc. if I wish as well as providing me with an onboard credit. A good agency who knows what they are doing can get you any "deal" available thru DCL when you book with them. If you book directly with DCL, you get no OBC, the agency gets no commission, etc.

When you book, have the TA waitlist you for main seating (early). There is a very good chance that you will be moved. I always suggest calling monthly till the cruise--squeaky wheel gets the service.

Just wanted to say Hi! We are on the same cruise and will be on deck 7 too!

Disney is currently offering half off the deposit, so it is not just a special by that company. If you can't get early dining by waitlisting, as soon as you board, you can go and request a change. You may or may not get it, but it's worth a shot.