Gave up on Med cruise, now thinking S. Caribbean..???

jelomu

I think the idea of a Med cruise would be wonderful, but not long enough in each port and the flight/excursion costs put it out of what we could afford!

So now we are thinking of S. Caribbean, a 7nt. not till May 2017 to celebrate our 50th birthdays!!

When would be the best time to book? I see some good prices now for Spring 2016, and if the price drops.....will I be able to get it after we've booked? I seem to remember something about that changing after we took a Carnival cruise 2 yrs ago..

Hoping to start planning, I love planning vacations!!

We have taken six southern Caribbean cruises, primarily out of San Juan. That's our favorite sail away port, especially at night. The view of the floodlit fort on the cliff, as you start your cruising adventure, is unmatched, IMO. We enjoy reaching Aruba, Bonaire, etc. In a 7 day cruise, with fewer days at sea.

The southern Caribbean ports are our favorites, too. So, I think you will enjoy such an itinerary.

As far as booking, we recently booked our family cruise, for March 2017. Utilized the Early Saver program, which comes with a price guarantee provision.

Edited by MAGNUM PI

We're booked on the Vista May 6, 2017- May 14, 2017...it's an 8 day cruise to the southern Caribbean leaving from Miami and visiting Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba and Curecao. Our last cruise was this past January to these same ports on the Breeze originating in Miami as well.

Obviously we enjoy the southern voyages. Last time we did a western cruise in May it was still a little chilly. The further south the warmer the temps in theory at least.

If you booked early saver, you will be eligible for any price drops that may be offered until 2 days prior to boarding. The fare for our cabin, an 8C balcony, has actually gone up $150 since we booked in January so the ship must be selling well now.

Good Luck!

As far as booking, we recently booked our family cruise, for March 2017. Utilized the Early Saver program, which comes with a price guarantee provision.

Just be sure you understand the Early Saver rules. Everyone hears price matching up to two days prior to sailing but doesn't seem to hear $50 per person administrative fee if changes are made.

I almost always book ES and it works for me but that is not to say it works for everyone.

It's a shame the med us not working out for you. The very first time I cruised to the med I was on a really tight budget in fact I remember crying to my husband and saying it's too expensive but I pulled out an rsp and went, lol... It was amazing.. I did most the ports on my own too after a lot of research. That year I cruised out of Venice to Greece ( bit less $$) athens, Venice, santorini, Mykonos all on my own. I trained from Venice to Florence for two days then trained to Rome for two days.

That being said, I absolutely fell in love with Aruba..one of my favorites. San Juan is very nice too IMO. I had a great time in the carribean for sure!!

We have taken six southern Caribbean cruises, primarily out of San Juan. That's our favorite sail away port, especially at night. The view of the floodlit fort on the cliff, as you start your cruising adventure, is unmatched, IMO. We enjoy reaching Aruba, Bonaire, etc. In a 7 day cruise, with fewer days at sea.

The southern Caribbean ports are our favorites, too. So, I think you will enjoy such an itinerary.

I agree, sailing out of San Juan is awesome (especially at night). Also gives you the chance to add a day or two onto your vacation as you already are at a port of call before you even get on the ship!

I looked at San Juan departures, and I really like those!!

So if I book ES and just watch the prices I can get a lower rate. But it's not worth doing unless I am saving more than $150 (3 ppl) right?

Now what if I'm booked with ES and I see a rate on another site like ************ or some other that have added free beverage or shore excursions...can I switch my booking to the other agent? Or would Carnival match the deal?

I don't drink, but the other two like wine with dinner and the drink of the day....my friend's bar tab was pretty expensive last time....I just drank the lemonade!!