Captain Bryan's - Two Thumbs Down

NnJ2010

We decided to try Capt Bryan's this time around. We had used Nativeway previously and had a good time and no complaints. However, I wanted a nicer/different boat than what many of the tour operators offer. I thought timing wise and boat wise that Capt Bryan would be a good fit. Especially after reading the reviews here.

The walk wasn't a big deal. However, what they call their 'office' is more like a raised tarp/canopy with a table and a chair. There were a few benches under the tarp, then there were other benches behind that. There was a storage shed and a few vehicles parked there. That was it.

They asked us to be there a good bit before 10:30 am. So we got there early, checked in then said we had some time if we wanted to go to the Bakery that was right next door. So we did and we returned at the appointed time (they asked us to be back by it was either 5 minutes to 10 am or 5 minutes after...I can't recall which time it was now but we were there just a couple minutes before we were suppose to be since the bakery is literally right next door.) We took the 3 hour snorkel tour with stingrays and 2 snorkel stops. We were on the Voyager of the Seas and there was not a lot of time to do this excursion. I asked a couple times when I booked if we would be back to the ship on time. Sure no problem.

They had us waiting along with the majority of the group until past 10:30 am before we boarded the bus (fortunately the bus was air conditioned as it was very hot and sticky and we were all sweaty from standing around and waiting for ages). Then after we got to the boat we had to wait for the other bus to arrive - the bus that was waiting for the late-comers. I would say by the time we finally pulled out we were at least 45 minutes late. All because some people chose not to get there at the time requested and Capt Bryan's staff decided to wait for them.

By the time we got back we had just enough time to get back on the ship. The van/minicoach actually pulled into where they dropped us at 20 minutes until our last tender time. So while it wasn't by the seat of our pants, it was probably a bit shorter than I would have preferred. ALso, they don't drop you right at the pier like most of the other vans did. They dropped us behind a shopping area. At least two of the ships that people came from (ours and the Princess ship that was in port) were leaving fairly early so we all just had enough time to get back to the boat via tender. It was a short walk though so it wasn't super inconvenient, it just didn't make sense when so many other vans were dropping people off closer to the piers. However, to be fair, maybe there was some reason they couldn't. If we had gotten back on time we would have had I believe it was at least an hour.

The ship itself was nice. The equipment was fine - snorkels were short but nothing different than any other snorkel provider in the caribe that I've seen...so if that really bothers you, you would be better served bringing your own. (Again, as I said though, this is true of pretty much all of the snorkel places we have used throughout the Caribe. and keep saying we are going to buy some but packing them along has just never appealed to me so...we put up with them.) The crew on the boat was nice. They did have a photographer on board. I forget what company she was with. Essentially she got in the water and had a professional waterproof camera and took pictures of everyone while in the water with the stingrays. She then sold them at the end of the tour but they were on the expensive side IMO. I guess some may find this to be a nice option. Personally, I don't want a picture of me in a bathing suit ;) All beverages were for sale. There were no free drinks. I thought that was a bit odd...just different from everyone else i've tried who usually offers at least a punch for no charge. No biggie though and it was on the email they sent so it was clearly documented ahead of time.

All in all, I just wasn't impressed. I don't think you keep 25 people waiting for 45 minutes because 7 people weren't there on time. *There were other people there from the ship they were on so it wasn't a case that they couldn't get off in time* With so many other tour operators and options (especially in Grand Cayman) I personally wouldn't take them again nor recommend them.

I will say that if you like the water at all, than going to see the Stingrays is a must in GC. This was our second time doing it. We mostly went this time because my father and his wife had never seen them. It was fun all over again though and my father and his wife thought it was very cool So while inconvenient it was still a good way to spend the day. I would just go with a different tour operator.

Nikole, I am sorry to hear that you had to wait so long. Glad you did have a good time while on the excursion, though.

We did Captain Bryan's Buccaneer and had a marvelous time. I would highly recommend this excursion. This one starts at 10:30 and is 3 hours. With the timing of this excursion I didn't have any worries about making the last tender.

Hopefully, if you go back to GC, you will have a better experience next time.

WE were on the Buccaneer in January. Our Ship was late getting cleared and we were 20 minutes late checking-in. Thank Goodness they had waited on us. Nikole, The people who arrived late may have been held up waiting to clear like we were.We also had a great time.

Teri

It was not wrong of Capt. Bryans to wait. Can you imagine how angry the people who were left would have been? Especially if it were not their fault. It is a case of damned if we do or damned if we don't. I loved our tour with them, and to make sure of the time we went on the one stop snorkel plus sting rays. You have to consider some delays are possible and work with them as best you can. As far as their "office", who cares? It would be useless of the to have an elaborate setup. We just sat in the shade and had nice conversation with our fellow passengers while we waited.

Actually, as I said already, there were people on the ship that they were on that were on time. So it wasn't a case that their ship came in late. Sorry but making the group wait 45 minutes for people who can't follow direction is a waste of time for the 25 people who were stuck waiting.

I agree that it is a tight position for Capt Bryan's to be in. However, in my opinion you don't keep the 25 people waiting for the 5 people who were late and simply couldn't be bothered to be considerate and be on time. There were four ships in port that day. There was representation from 3 of the 4 (before these last 5 people got there). The last ship was leaving early so there was no one on board from that ship.

Anyway, as I said just my two cents. I was trying to be fair as possible but state my opinion as well. I'm glad others have had good experiences. Simply reporting back (although I know how unpopular it is to ever voice a negative review at CC). As was said...damned if you do damned if you don't....also goes for posting back here on Cruise Critic ;)

Although three years ago, we want to add our positive views of Capt Bryan's snorkle/sting ray trips. Beautiful experience, great boat, equipment and crew. Almost everything I read in this original post seems unbelievably picky, almost selfish and self-centered. Sorry.

We are using the Buccaneer, early Nov, knowing it will be another great experience. John

Although three years ago, we want to add our positive views of Capt Bryan's snorkle/sting ray trips. Beautiful experience, great boat, equipment and crew. Almost everything I read in this original post seems unbelievably picky, almost selfish and self-centered. Sorry.

We are using the Buccaneer, early Nov, knowing it will be another great experience. John

Kudos. Always impressive when a review results in someone calling the poster names. Really impressive. I posted the good with the bad sorry you didn't like it. Funny that you try and pick apart my post but I have yet to go into someone's positive review and say how they were wrong and call them names and such. Hey if that makes you feel better about yourself, than more power to you.

Nikole,

I appreciate your posting your experience with this company. I have been seriously considering booking with them---and I still may---but I certainly would feel a bit anxious if I felt that I might get back to the tenders too late to get back to the ship due to a policy of delaying a tour due to late arrivals. So it helps to see what a company's practices are so I can make an informed decision.

Kudos. Always impressive when a review results in someone calling the poster names. Really impressive. I posted the good with the bad sorry you didn't like it. Funny that you try and pick apart my post but I have yet to go into someone's positive review and say how they were wrong and call them names and such. Hey if that makes you feel better about yourself, than more power to you.

You're right Nicole, please except my apology. Guess I was in a negative mood last night and my response was uncalled for. We did glean much useful info from your post. John:o

The crew on the boat was nice. They did have a photographer on board. I forget what company she was with. Essentially she got in the water and had a professional waterproof camera and took pictures of everyone while in the water with the stingrays. She then sold them at the end of the tour but they were on the expensive side IMO. I guess some may find this to be a nice option.

I just wanted to make a few comments regarding the photographer on board the Buccaneer. Rene was on our trip 9-21-05 (RCCL/NOS-Western) and she did a super job. (Her & her husband Martin run VIP Productions). She explained when we first got on the boat that she was there to photograph our experience w/the stingrays. She did not pressure us in any way-just took photos as we had our 'encounter' with the stingrays. There was a passenger on our boat that pref. not to have her picture taken & Rene said it wasn't a problem. After we had taken our stops (we had 2 other snorkel stops), she offered to let us immediately view the pictures on her camera. The prices were like $10 per picture (can't remember exactly) or you could buy all the pictures she had taken of you for $55 on a disk which she would mail to you.

Her pictures were excellent. While we were so busy interacting with the rays, we had not been able to get the type of quality photos that she had taken (we only had a disposable underwater camera). We ended up paying the $55 and got our disk about 5 or 6 days after we got home. It has 32 photos of myself, my DH, the catamaran and some GREAT shots underwater of the rays. We now can make prints, email, etc. these pictures.

IMO, the prices on her pictures are no worse than the prices the ship charges for all those pictures that are constantly taking of you. And just like those photos, you can choose to buy or not...no pressure.

I tried to upload a picture for all to view but CC is saying the file is too big. If I can get it figured out, I will post a picture or two. I must say that everyone who's seen our pictures comments on the clarity & quality of the photos. Clear, good color-better than our pictures we took!

Monijohn- No problem. We all have those days. Thank you for being kind enough to apologize.

Love2cruisegirl - yes they did a decent job with it. And I put that I certainly don't want a photo of me in a bathing suit ;) However, for those with kids it might be a nice option. After taking a few cruises, I've gotten burnt out on pictures. I believe the price was $30 dollars for the first two and I'm not sure how much there after.

for those with kids it might be a nice option. After taking a few cruises, I've gotten burnt out on pictures. I believe the price was $30 dollars for the first two and I'm not sure how much there after.

I would suggest the pictures for anyone who wanted some great pictures to remind them of the wonderful experience with these animals. Every time I look at them, I'm swept back in time to that day! :) While we do have children, they were back at home in Atlanta-a far jump from the wonderful blue waters of Grand Cayman. I just can't reiterate the quality of the pictures-the underwater pictures are worthy of framing. Since I don't plan on swimming w/stingrays on every cruise/vacation, we figured the $$ was worth having that memory to look back upon. It's funny that the adults we have shown our pictures to have been far more interested in seeing the stingrays than my kids! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We did Captain Bryan's last week 10:30 Buccaneer. We had a few people late for our excursion as well, they waited a while, but eventually decided they couldn't wait any longer so we left.

I would recommend taking the earlier tour on the Hannibal. The Buccaneer does have 2 snorkel stops in addition to Sting Ray City, but they only give you about 20 minutes at each stop, including time to get off the boat. I'd rather have one stop with a little more time. I'm a big snorkel fan, so I would have rather had a little less time at Sting Ray City and more for the snorkeling, but that is just my personal preference.

Also, for our ship, their time was one hour behind, so we ended up killing time in the morning and then just barely making it back in time for the tender (well, probably about 15-20 mins before the last tender). It was very hot with long lines to get back on the tender. Four ships in port that day.

The water was wonderful and we enjoyed the trip - I would just do the 9:00 Hannibal if I had it to do over again. We did order the DVD - haven't received it yet - they mail it to you. Most everyone I have spoken to who have ordered these have loved them - I'm anxious to receive mine.

Laura

Hi, I just wanted to say that we (4 in our group) also experienced time issues with Capt Bryans. We did the 2 1/2 hr tour on the Hannibal. Our tour also ran behind and as it turned out we were running for the last tender. Had everything gone on schedule, we would have had an hour or so to spare before tendering back to the ship. I also thought we were getting dropped off at the pier, but instead had to walk a bit. The walk wasn't much but we were certainly worried when we ended up being so late. I also thought there would be someone taking pictures or video on the tour but we had nothing. That was disappointing because I would have liked to have gotten something with the stingrays. At least I had my cheap under water camera. :) We were looking forward to the snorkling stop but it didn't have much to offer unfortunately. I'm glad we seen the stingrays but the tour itself wasn't worth doing again for us. The boat and crew were nice. We had free juice and punch available (no cash bar). If your not worried about time or good snorkling, it's a good tour.

Archived