Cannes and Provence - Ideas for touring with large group

sunfan03

Traveling with 4 adults, 5 seniors, 4 kids (ages 3, 11, 13, 16) for a total of 13 people.

One of the seniors uses a cane for walking, but can get around, just not too fast.

Port stop in Cannes from 8 am - 6 pm in late September this year. Can we DIY to get to Nice/Eze and maybe Monaco? Or would it be better to hire a guide?

And we're in Provence from 7 am - 4 pm the following day - I'm at a lost for what to do. Suggestions? Is this a good stop to explore on our own? Or better to hire a guide here too?

I think group consensus is to explore main sites and local culture. With 5 in my own family, I'm trying to keep budget down, but willing to spend for a guide if it's worth it.

Thanks!

Edited by sunfan03
Revise Tital

You probably have enough people to cut the cost of a tour. But, I wouldn't recommend a DIY for your hit list.....unless you cut back the itinerary.

There is a wonderful town, very close to Cannes that gives a cross section of the area and overlooked....Antibes. If you took the bus, your physically challenged group member wouldn't have to walk far. The bus price is negligible...1 or 2 euros per person one way. Finish the day in Cannes.

Hello,

Personally I have been to Cannes and there is not much to see and do,

I would definitely recommend a full day riviera sight seeing that stops in Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Eze... We hired an eight seater private Van with guide and shared the costs it allowed us to be flexible as we could stop wherever we wanted it was convinient as I was with my family. We did the same thing in Provence (Marseille, Aix en provence, Cassis fishing harbour). We found Nancy, a local who works with cruise ship passengers and she arranged everything for us.

You probably have enough people to cut the cost of a tour. But, I wouldn't recommend a DIY for your hit list.....unless you cut back the itinerary.

There is a wonderful town, very close to Cannes that gives a cross section of the area and overlooked....Antibes. If you took the bus, your physically challenged group member wouldn't have to walk far. The bus price is negligible...1 or 2 euros per person one way. Finish the day in Cannes.

I was in Eze over 20 years ago and have always wanted to take DH there. BUT going to Antibes might be another idea. Thanks for the suggestion. We know that with our group size, not everything is possible.

We also figured the group could split up if some wanted to go one way and others somewhere else.

Hello,

Personally I have been to Cannes and there is not much to see and do,

I would definitely recommend a full day riviera sight seeing that stops in Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Eze... We hired an eight seater private Van with guide and shared the costs it allowed us to be flexible as we could stop wherever we wanted it was convinient as I was with my family. We did the same thing in Provence (Marseille, Aix en provence, Cassis fishing harbour). We found Nancy, a local who works with cruise ship passengers and she arranged everything for us.

I don't mind hiring a guide for Cannes, but do you think we could find things to do on our own in Provence?

What did you enjoy about Nancy's tour and if you don't mind me asking...was it reasonably priced? Most guides I'm hearing back from charge roughly $100 US/pp.

I was in Eze over 20 years ago and have always wanted to take DH there. BUT going to Antibes might be another idea. Thanks for the suggestion. We know that with our group size, not everything is possible.

We also figured the group could split up if some wanted to go one way and others somewhere else.

I guess the issue is really how far the train station is in Cannes....that might be an issue for the person who as a bit of mobility issues, which is why I suggested the bus. However, 13 people at once might not all get on the bus. And, the bus would take too long to get anywhere but Antibes. In Antibes - the train station is a bit of a hike to where someone would want to visit also - but not so far for someone with no mobility issues. I am guessing the train station in Cannes is a 15 minute walk from the tender docks and the walk to Antibes is just a bit less from it's train station. If your group could all get to the train station in Cannes - you could go to Nice. Take the tram or taxi's from the train station there to old town area.

As to splitting up and attempting to hit your agenda on public transportation with your DH. It would be doable, if the port stay was long and you really ran through the sites (and not something I'd recommend). You also have to time a bus to Eze (coming and going) and they aren't very frequent. If you hit an overcrowded bus in high season, someone might find themselves waiting a long time.

FWIW, the way it could be done is train to Monte Carlo - bus to Eze Village - bus to Nice - train back to Cannes. Alternatively, Train to Monte Carlo - train to Eze lower town - bus to Eze Village - bus to Nice - train to Cannes. I would put both at a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5 in DIY difficulty and would never attempt it unless you were in Cannes overnight, had an extremely long port stay or had a two port combo stay in the French Riviera.

Unfortunately, Eze is the difficult town that complicates things even for an able bodied person.

Perhaps you could find a taxi company that has a 15 seat van for a half day to St. Paul de Vence (transportation only)? And, then finish the day in Cannes. Cannes old town up the hill from the tender docks is quite nice.

Edited by buggins0402