Toddler/Kid Friendly excursions in PV, Maz, Cabo

mayts

Hi, We are taking the Jewel on March 20th and this is our first time cruising since we have had kids. We have a very active 3 year old, a 6 year old and an 8 year old.

We need three things:

1. Safe and Family friendly - excursions that are safe for the kids and will have fun, something that will give the 3 year old enough to do but keep us adults and 8/6 year old entertained.

2. Affordable. Being a family of 5 the cruise excursions are so pricey and I am not sure how much they are worth it with a 3 year old in tow

I was thinking in Mazatlan we could do the Zoo but I am wondering how safe is transportation with 5 of us - one of us being a toddler. I wasn't planning on towing a car seat but I could maybe take an inflatable booster seat if we think that makes sense. Is the Zoo worthwhile? How far is it from the port?

Any suggestions for Cabo and Puerto Vallarta beyond finding a local resort and using their amenities? Does anyone have a suggestion for a great resort where we can use their ocean chairs, amenities like pool and bathrooms which are pretty important with the kids.

What kind of things do I need to plan in advance? I am not sure how the tendering works, would I be able to take an umbrella stroller with me?

Thanks in advance, we are newbies and totally nervous and excited. I would like to do as much planning in advance so it can be pleasurable and stress free. When the kids outnumber the adults the more planning with some flexibility built in the better for mama!

Thanks in advance.

Hi, We are taking the Jewel on March 20th and this is our first time cruising since we have had kids. We have a very active 3 year old, a 6 year old and an 8 year old.

We need three things:

1. Safe and Family friendly - excursions that are safe for the kids and will have fun, something that will give the 3 year old enough to do but keep us adults and 8/6 year old entertained.

2. Affordable. Being a family of 5 the cruise excursions are so pricey and I am not sure how much they are worth it with a 3 year old in tow

I was thinking in Mazatlan we could do the Zoo but I am wondering how safe is transportation with 5 of us - one of us being a toddler. I wasn't planning on towing a car seat but I could maybe take an inflatable booster seat if we think that makes sense. Is the Zoo worthwhile? How far is it from the port?

Any suggestions for Cabo and Puerto Vallarta beyond finding a local resort and using their amenities? Does anyone have a suggestion for a great resort where we can use their ocean chairs, amenities like pool and bathrooms which are pretty important with the kids.

What kind of things do I need to plan in advance? I am not sure how the tendering works, would I be able to take an umbrella stroller with me?

Thanks in advance, we are newbies and totally nervous and excited. I would like to do as much planning in advance so it can be pleasurable and stress free. When the kids outnumber the adults the more planning with some flexibility built in the better for mama!

Thanks in advance.

In Cabo you can take your umbrella stroller on the tender..The beaches are not great for swimming.,bad undertow so if you take a water taxi to Medano beach the swimming is better. We are taking five year old to the SandBar...food and drink and umbrellas while you are there and good place for the wee ones to play. Not much around the port area.

In Mazatlan if you still want more beach...go to stone island...lots of restaurants to sit and eat at with umbrellas tables etc. we went to CARMELITAS...great service..no rowdy people..VERY quiet smooth water to play in..play in, build sand castles etc The vendors even sell sand toys..along with EVerything else u don't need. If you opt for a day pass at the hotels at either place it is like $65 a person!!!

In PV....take a taxi to Los Muertos beach..the resorts there will let u use their umbrellas and chairs if you eat and drink. Just be careful of the water with the wee ones.

Edited by IDKaren

In PVR Hotel Krystal - walking distance from the cruise terminal - let cruisers on their property and use their pool by showing your cruisecards etc. Bring your towels and of course you well have to buy food and drinks.

Or as mentioned to the beach at Playa los Muertos in old town.

O n board they will explain how and where to get ticket for the tenders. Only Cabo will be tender, all others will be docked.Bringing an umbrella type of stroller on a tender will not be any problem.

In Cabo you can take your umbrella stroller on the tender..The beaches are not great for swimming.,bad undertow so if you take a water taxi to Medano beach the swimming is better. We are taking five year old to the SandBar...food and drink and umbrellas while you are there and good place for the wee ones to play. Not much around the port area.

In Mazatlan if you still want more beach...go to stone island...lots of restaurants to sit and eat at with umbrellas tables etc. we went to CARMELITAS...great service..no rowdy people..VERY quiet smooth water to play in..play in, build sand castles etc The vendors even sell sand toys..along with EVerything else u don't need. If you opt for a day pass at the hotels at either place it is like $65 a person!!!

In PV....take a taxi to Los Muertos beach..the resorts there will let u use their umbrellas and chairs if you eat and drink. Just be careful of the water with the wee ones.

How much does a water taxi cost? Is it per person? Do they take US currency?

How do you get to stone island?

In general does pretty much everyone accept our money or should we exchange some for on shore?

Thanks!!

How much does a water taxi cost? Is it per person? Do they take US currency?

How do you get to stone island?

In general does pretty much everyone accept our money or should we exchange some for on shore?

Thanks!!

Pretty much everyone accepts US$, so no need to exchange for pesos unless you plan on making big purchases. (If you want pesos anyway and to get the best exchange rate, best to withdraw straight from an ATM.)

The water taxi in Cabo costs about $2-$3 US$ per person unless you want a tour (Arch, Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, Sea Lions, Pelican Rock, feed fishes, and then drop off at Medano Beach) then it's more like $10pp.

To get to Stone Island in Mazatlan, walk through the cruise terminal after the tram from the ship drops you off and then though the shopping area out to the street. Turn left and walk down the sidewalk ~3 blocks to the end. Buy your ticket at the booth at the dock for about $2-$3 per person (Round Trip, so keep your ticket!) and they will take you across to Stone Island. When you get to the other side, walk up and over the small hill and down the beach or catch a ride on one of the trucks usually parked there (again $2-$3pp). We walked all the way down to Lety's and had a great time and enjoyed some really good coconut shrimp. All in all was very fun and easy and by far the cheapest port days we had on the cruise. Enjoy!

Our family of five is doing the Mexican Riviera in April and have also planned our port days to be affordable. We'll do the water taxi tour in Cabo, Stone Island in Mazatlan, and the "splurge" in Puerto Vallarta: the Pirate Ship. Booking through the pirate ship's own site is cheaper than through the ship's excursion desk, and it's the exact same trip. On ours, we got one child free with two paying adults, and toddlers under 3 are free already.

Our family of five is doing the Mexican Riviera in April and have also planned our port days to be affordable. We'll do the water taxi tour in Cabo, Stone Island in Mazatlan, and the "splurge" in Puerto Vallarta: the Pirate Ship. Booking through the pirate ship's own site is cheaper than through the ship's excursion desk, and it's the exact same trip. On ours, we got one child free with two paying adults, and toddlers under 3 are free already.

What site did u book from??? I tried booking thru one of the sites and they told me not available for cruise ship passengers....interested in who u used. Thanks,

Pretty much everyone accepts US$, so no need to exchange for pesos unless you plan on making big purchases. (If you want pesos anyway and to get the best exchange rate, best to withdraw straight from an ATM.)

The water taxi in Cabo costs about $2-$3 US$ per person unless you want a tour (Arch, Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, Sea Lions, Pelican Rock, feed fishes, and then drop off at Medano Beach) then it's more like $10pp.

To get to Stone Island in Mazatlan, walk through the cruise terminal after the tram from the ship drops you off and then though the shopping area out to the street. Turn left and walk down the sidewalk ~3 blocks to the end. Buy your ticket at the booth at the dock for about $2-$3 per person (Round Trip, so keep your ticket!) and they will take you across to Stone Island. When you get to the other side, walk up and over the small hill and down the beach or catch a ride on one of the trucks usually parked there (again $2-$3pp). We walked all the way down to Lety's and had a great time and enjoyed some really good coconut shrimp. All in all was very fun and easy and by far the cheapest port days we had on the cruise. Enjoy!

this is GREAT info. thanks you so much! about how long does it take to get to stone island? looks like we are only in port from 8-5.

What site did u book from??? I tried booking thru one of the sites and they told me not available for cruise ship passengers....interested in who u used. Thanks,

I used PirateShipVallarta dot com. The only cruise line that won't allow you to book directly is Carnival, as I understand it.

this is GREAT info. thanks you so much! about how long does it take to get to stone island? looks like we are only in port from 8-5.

~10 minute walk from ship to water taxi, ~10 minute to water taxi to Stone Island and ~10 minutes to walk (or ride) to Lety's... Have fun!:)