Whats the best Fishing Charter in Ketchikan?

villager13

We are looking to book a fishing charter for salmon when we are in Ketchikan.

Our cruise ship is only there from 6:00am-2:00pm so we would probably be looking for a 4 hour trip. I looked up Ketchikan Alaska Fishing Charters and that has good ratings on Trip Advisor. Also, Baranof Fishing Charter has good reviews. Should we book independently or through the ship? Anyone have any personal recommendations?

Thanks!

I cannot make a recommendation on the best, but I can share some information I found when researching for my 2017 cruise. The number of people in your party may make a difference. Many fishing charters will not take a small party of just two people. I would recommend contacting the charters directly and asking a LOT of questions to get a feel for them. If you have a very small or very large party, you may want to make sure they can accommodate you. Also, you may want to find out if they combine small parties or let you book the boat. Finally, you may ask about their policy regarding sharing a line. Some boats only have a set number of lines in the water at one time. If there are more people onboard than the number of lines, they will rotate on and off of the line. This can result in some people feeling like someone else caught their fish. Finally, if you have any special circumstances, you may want to ask the charter company if and how they can accommodate your needs. Charters are pretty expensive, so it's my opinion it's okay to be picky and choose the one that works based on your needs.

Hope this helps.

My husband did a fishing trip while in Ketchikan. We were also there for a short day. We booked it with the cruise ship. Since we left port so early we wanted to be safe. It was a great trip for him. The charter captain took his fish to the ship and handed it over and it was delivered to our table for dinner. It was wonderful and no extra charge.

My husband did a fishing trip while in Ketchikan. We were also there for a short day. We booked it with the cruise ship. Since we left port so early we wanted to be safe. It was a great trip for him. The charter captain took his fish to the ship and handed it over and it was delivered to our table for dinner. It was wonderful and no extra charge.

A couple of questions for your husband: Was he able to use his own pole the entire fishing expedition or did they have to switch off poles with other passengers? In other words, like another poster stated was there a restriction as to how many poles could be in the water at a time? Also, did he see a lot of scenic things on the trip or did they pretty much stay in one place? (Some fishing expeditions advertise that there company does a very scenic route while traveling to the fishing spot.) The ships excursion is 199.95 per person (It would cost us 400.00 for both us to go) which is pretty pricey compared to some independent companies so I guess we just want to make sure that it would be worth it to book with the ship. Thanks!! Very hard to make excursion choices between independent and ship! :eek:

A couple of questions for your husband: Was he able to use his own pole the entire fishing expedition or did they have to switch off poles with other passengers? In other words, like another poster stated was there a restriction as to how many poles could be in the water at a time? Also, did he see a lot of scenic things on the trip or did they pretty much stay in one place? (Some fishing expeditions advertise that there company does a very scenic route while traveling to the fishing spot.) The ships excursion is 199.95 per person (It would cost us 400.00 for both us to go) which is pretty pricey compared to some independent companies so I guess we just want to make sure that it would be worth it to book with the ship. Thanks!! Very hard to make excursion choices between independent and ship! :eek:

There were only five to six passengers on the charter. They were all able to fish the entire time until they caught their fish. There is a limit.

They also moved around and saw a lot of scenery while going to different spots to fish. He really enjoyed the trip! We enjoyed eating the fish that night in the dining room.

• 4 months later...

If it is not to late for booking yours, I found myself trying to find someone also and stumbled across some names of locals. Which referred me to the others since they were booked. I booked with Capt.Ray Kolean 907-617-4154. Our charter is not until July 18 but sounded super nice and informative on the phone as well as the other Captains. Here are some other names to look up. Capt. Nick 907-617-7033, Mike 907-617-5691, Jim 907-617-8031, Colby 907-254-4868. From my understanding these are all locals that live there. Good luck.

Edited by pamgall