A1 balconies on the slant

PoppyandNana

We are booked in 6298 on the Silhouette in July. I saw a picture of an 1A balcony that clearly showed a pass way into the adjoining balcony. Is there not full privacy on these balconies? Was this maybe some kind of opening provided for two families in adjacent cabins?

Also, are aft slant cabins better than the forward ones? Read somewhere the forward slants are too windy and rarely get sun. Is it true that a slant 1A has one of the largest balconies?

I'm worried that my neighbor can simply walk over to my balcony.

We are booked in 6298 on the Silhouette in July. I saw a picture of an 1A balcony that clearly showed a pass way into the adjoining balcony. Is there not full privacy on these balconies? Was this maybe some kind of opening provided for two families in adjacent cabins?

Also, are aft slant cabins better than the forward ones? Read somewhere the forward slants are too windy and rarely get sun. Is it true that a slant 1A has one of the largest balconies?

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

AFAIK they won't open the balcony divider unless both parties agree to it, the same way that they won't open connecting doors unless both parties agree.

As for "largest" balconies, some of the slant balconies are deeper than others.

The deepest balconies have the cabin itself recessed furthest inward, away from the balcony railing, a feature that some like and others dislike.

One woman described the view from her cabin as looking out through a hallway where the scenery is down at the other end of the hall.

There are also some cabins that have wider balconies, which some like better than the deep balconies.

Just personal preference, like location of the bed, or which direction the bed faces, etc.

Yes, while a ship is underway a forward facing balcony is likely to get more wind than a backward facing one. But otherwise, it would depend on which way the wind is blowing.

As for sun, it would depend on which way the ship is facing in relation to the position of the sun at any given time.

Have a great cruise, whatever you choose!

The cabins on the angle with the larger balcony's are our favorite, hands down.

The divider can be opened on every balcony not just these, if the passenger wants. Not to worry, yours will not be unless you request it.

We have stayed on both directions of the angle with no wind issues on either.

EW

Hi - are you sure you have the stateroom number correct? It looks like 6298 is a Deluxe Veranda (2D) on Deck 6 on the Silhouette. Also, while I'm sure it was a typo in the subject line, expect people to point out that A1 designates an Aqua Class cabin which is not located on Deck 6.

The slant 1As on the Solstice class ships do have balconies that are much deeper than other Veranda staterooms.

DH & I stayed in the 1A equivalent of 6215, a forward facing angle balcony, on our Equinox sailing in the Western Caribbean. The wind was not a factor, but I love wind. My personal preference is a forward facing balcony as I like to see where we are going not where we've been, so to speak.

Because the balcony is deep, the sun does not reach all the way into the stateroom and the stateroom was a bit darker because of this. It couldn't have bothered us too much as we are going with a similar 1A on the Solstice in September.

Have a wonderful cruise in whatever stateroom you select.

Edited by MarKay525

My bad on typos. Our cabin is on the Silhouette, number 9268, on the starboard side, forward slant. Is it true these balconies are like tunnels making the cabin darker?

Also, saw a photo of a cabin four down on on another S class ship. There were lifeboats directly below impeding ones view directly down the side of the ship. Wonder if 9268 would have these lifeboats below as well.

I have been on Reflection twice in cabins that were the same as 9270 and 9292 on Silhouette. I do not feel the wind was a problem in either. These 2 are the largest (deepest) of the angled balconies, but 9268 will still be larger than a standard veranda that is not on the angle. I love the deeper balconies. The view straight down to the water was a bit obstructed, so yours should be similar. This never bothered me though, as most of the time was spent sitting in the loungers. Between the two that I have stayed in, my preference is the aft angled, but only because the bed is near the balcony in that cabin versus by the bath in 9270. I think you have made a great choice and should have no problems with 9268.

Edited by Bytor62

My bad on typos. Our cabin is on the Silhouette, number 9268, on the starboard side, forward slant. Is it true these balconies are like tunnels making the cabin darker?

Also, saw a photo of a cabin four down on on another S class ship. There were lifeboats directly below impeding ones view directly down the side of the ship. Wonder if 9268 would have these lifeboats below as well.

Here is our deck 9 aft facing C2 on the slant. The life boats block the view down, no matter what cabin type you have.

EW

1877289506_balconyX.jpg.3580e303815ae0d4a74284b304bd383c.jpg

Our last three Celebrity cruises have been in an A1 angled cabin, two on the backside of the hump, one on the front side.

While wind was never an issue, we felt a little more on the front side.

We never had the movable portion of the divider opened. Unless both adjoining cabins request it, it will not be open.

I think it may be a glass half empty glass half full sort of thing.

Being the optimist (I wish I was always optimistic) I look at these deep balconies as more real estate for my buck. More room to walk around, hang out, just more comfy.

But for others, perhaps those who love the sun (which we do not) it may appear like a tunnel.

If you can ever get someone to show it to you, that may help.

Our last three Celebrity cruises have been in an A1 angled cabin, two on the backside of the hump, one on the front side.

While wind was never an issue, we felt a little more on the front side.

Well just lookie here wont ya! PoppyandNana we all sailed together last Thanksgiving on the Equinox!

EW

Being the optimist (I wish I was always optimistic) I look at these deep balconies as more real estate for my buck. More room to walk around, hang out, just more comfy.

But for others, perhaps those who love the sun (which we do not) it may appear like a tunnel.

If you can ever get someone to show it to you, that may help.

Here is a photo of one of the deepest balconies that has been posted before showing the view looking out from the cabin.

Lots of room to walk around, for anyone who wants to walk around on the balcony, or even do exercises there.

Baltic_Ship_IMG_8604.jpg

Edited by fleckle