Is the Miracle Toddler-Friendly?

hunter6009

DH and I are planning a Sept. cruise with our then will be 2 year old DS. This coming Jan. 06 we are going on a Disney cruise with him as he is not old enough for Camp Carnival or other cruise line day programs and Disney has Flounders Nursery for him (and us!). However, Disney is more expensive, and doesn't go to very many ports of call. We have been looking at the Miralce for Sept. 06. Anyone had any experience with this ship and a young child? How did you like it? Is there a minimum amount of children allowed in Camp Carnival each day and how do you sign them up? Will a 2 year old enjoy the activities? What about the ports of call this ship goes to? Anything for him to do? Can DH and I go to shore while he's in Camp Carnival or do the "beepers" not go that far? How's the weather in Sept.??

Thanks for the suggestions!

My kids went on their first cruise at 2 and 4 - we did the Holiday and then the Conquest a month later - they had a BLAST. There is plenty to do at Camp Carnival, and even though my 2 year old had never been in daycare, preschool, etc, she LOVED Camp Carnival. You can go into port, but the beepers will NOT work, so make sure your son is happy and content and will not need you while you're away from the ship.

Thanks! We're trying to find the best toddler-friendly Carnival ship for our DS. Just doesn't seem to be much info. out there on this topic. I guess they're pretty much all the same with Camp Carnival and things to do. How easy is it to get evening babysitting services? Is it first come first served? And how long are the sit down meals? A 2 hour meal might be stretching it with a little one.

:D

We were just on the Miracle in Sept. and my son was 4. I know they have babysitting for 2 year olds but there is a charge. You do not get a beeper but a cell phone and it only works on the ship. As far as the ports, we did a private charter to swim with the sting rays in grand cayman so that my son could go. He was to young for the other excursions. He loved it but the water was deep and since he did not swim, we had to hold him and tred water at the same time. In Costa Maya, you walk around the little town and can walk around with him. I would not take a little kid to Belize. We went on the Canopy tour and left ours in Camp Carnival. Our bus got a flat and we were late to get back to the boat. They were paging my name over the loud speaker because we had not picked him up yet and I was scolded upon getting him that I was late and was going to get charged a late fee the next time. In Cozumel we went to the park and they had a quiet cove my son could play in.

Oh, as far as the dinners go. If you go to the dining room expect to be there for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Our service was really slow. My son did not do well sitting through it so for 5 of the 7 nights, we left him in Camp Carnival. He ate with them but as you will not have that option with a 2 year old, you might want to plan his naps around dinner and hope he will fall asleep, our did during the 2 nights we ate with him and we were able to fifnish our meal. Other wise there is always the buffet.

I'm not sure why you keep saying a 2 year old can't go to Camp Carnival - has something changed in the past 2 years? My daughter went to Camp Carnival on the Conquest when she was 2. Also, we were NEVER at dinner longer than an hour - we usually get the 5:45 seating and are done by 6:45 in order to get the kids to Camp Carnival for 7 when they open.

As far as which ships are more toddler friendly - I think they ALL are. Smaller ships might be easier to navigate with a little one, but the newer, larger ships have AMAZING kids' areas with so much to keep the little ones happy and occupied. I don't think you can lose with any of them.

Thanks for the insight! I was a little confused as to why we wouldn't be able to have him eat with the Camp and we could go to dinner by ourselves??? He's old enough, right? (He'll be 2 years and 3 months old). Also, I've heard some conflicting information regarding going to shore without him. Can I leave him in Camp Carnival and go to shore? One person says the beepers don't work and they won't let you leave the ship if he's there, and another person says something to the effect of "don't go to such and such port with him, leave him at Camp Carnival". Confused!

Someone else told me that Camp Carn. is not a daycare program. Are they saying I have to be there with him? I realize it's not a traditional daycare, but it seems like an activity group where someone will care for my child while I take an hour or two to do something with just my DH...and to boot, my DS gets to have fun with other kids. He is WATCHED and CARED for isn't he? Aren't the staff trained professionals? Will someone help feed him should we go to dinner without him? At 2 he's still small and needs help with things.

Thanks again...

You can go into ports and leave him at Camp Carnival. We had a beeper, but didn't know they didn't work in Ports until we got back! There will be a meeting at the very beginning of the cruise with ALL the information you need. Choose the ship you want to go on and go. I also wouldn't take a kid into Belize. We have had our DS with us on all our cruises (he was 5 on his first cruise).

Here is something from Carnival's website:

The program for children, ages 2-14 Hours on Sea Days: Scheduled activities run from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm. This service is complimentary.

Hours on Port Days: Supervised free play begins 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled ship tour to approximately 2:00pm; scheduled activities resume at 2:00pm until 10:00pm. This service is complimentary.

There are no scheduled activities from 6:00pm to 7:00pm on any day. Children are expected to eat meals with their parents during their scheduled dinner seating.

Hope this helps. They don't call it 'day care', it's 'organized play'. Isn't that what a cruise is all about?

I guess my next question is how safe is it to go to port where Camp Carnival can't reach me should an emergency arise and they need to get a hold of me? I guess that worries me somewhat. Does Carnival allow this, or do people just do it anyways (going to port and leaving kids in Camp Carnival).

Thanks!:) :)

If you booked the excursion through Carnival they would know how to get a hold of you. I wouldn't worry to much! Our son loved Camp Carnival. He's already discussing what he gets to do on our next cruise in February!

I think that's why they provide the service, so you can enjoy yourselves do adult things while he's in a comfortable environment doing his kid thing!

And the counselors are great! DH wanted to stay with them too!

You are welcome! I'm one of these mom's that worries about stuff like that too! As you can tell, I don't leave him with anybody (not even the Grandma's!) for 7 days while I go cruising! At least having him in Camp I can hold and touch him and KNOW he's okay! Heck, I think we even have him addicted to this cruising stuff!

Archived