kids in rooms by themselves

sherri.l

I think the fact each ship interprets the rules differently makes it diffiuclt to generalize.

Last December when we booked the Elation for July, we could not book our four kids into seperate, but close rooms. We had to book 1 adult with 1 kid into a cat. 12 and 1 Adult with 3 kids into ocean view. (boys were 22, 19, 16, and 12). When we boarded, the purser gave us an extra room key for each room and the boys slept together.

This year in October I booked the Conquest for July. We booked cat. 11 for us and boys down the hall in balcony stateroom. NO problem this year.

I have read several times that the Conquest will not give that extra room key to a parent, even though they know a switch will be made.

Do what it takes to book what you want, then do the switcheroo! Whatever, have a great time!!!

[quote name='jerseygirl3']Compumom, the Purser's Desk won't "switch" your Sail and Sign cards, but they will make a duplicate card that can be used as a room key only ( no charges). Probably because you asked for the Sail and Sign cards to be switched is why you were denied.[/quote]

In our case (on the Conquest) we didn't need to get sail and sign cards switched (kids were booked next door to us and sail and sign cards were correct), only wanted an extra room key for our kids room.......request denied, citing ship's policy.

[quote name='sherri.l']I asked this a couple months ago but can't seem to find it. We are traveling
with a large group in Feb (25 rooms). We would like to put our 19 yrs old daugter and her two 18 yr old friends in a room by themselves since as a group we should all be within the same area. Our TA says no way will carnival do this but I believe I read on prevoius posts that people were able to do this as long as family was on same ship, same floor, same area. We will be on the Destiny if that makes any difference. I know its not a big deal to get room keys but it would be easier not to have to deal with it. any suggestions much appreciated.[/quote]

When we cruised in April, Carnival sent tickets showing Stepdaughter (A) and I in a room, and then DH and Stepson (E) in the other room. We went to the pursors desk and ask if I could get a card key to get into the other room, and DH to get a key into our room. We didn't tell them we were planning on putting the kids in a room by themselves. They were 17 and 13 at the time. We were right next door to them and it worked out fine. If I thought for one second the kids weren't mature enough to stay in there on their own, we never would've done this. But it was fine and the stewardess didn't have a problem with it either. It did mess up something with the card keys when we left the ship for excursions... we'd get pulled aside until it was settled, but then next time we went through the scanner, we were flagged again. That part was a pain. But otherwise, all went well.

Sherri- you said you had a large GROUP 25 cabins. Things are more "by the book" with the group department. Your Travel agent is telling you the correct info. As a matter of fact, the Group dept won't even book a group if the % of passengers are more minors than adults. That is one of the first questions you are asked " any minors traveling WITHOUT parents?". If the parents are sailing its a whole different ballgame.

Up until last year I had to go to individual res for my kids spring break cruise because there were too high a % under 21. They were still booked with a 25+ yr old. This year everyone is over 21 so we are booked in the group dept.

I called and spoke to a Carnival rep and she was soooo nice. Gee, we talked for close to 40 minutes! I finally had to get off. :) Anyway, I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough cabin keys to go around since we booked an adult theoretically in the quad cabin the girls will be in. Anyway, she said they could make up extra keys that wouldn't be hooked up with any credit cards like our Sign and Sail cards are. I sure hope she's right!

[quote name='momof4boys']I think the fact each ship interprets the rules differently makes it diffiuclt to generalize.

Last December when we booked the Elation for July, we could not book our four kids into seperate, but close rooms. We had to book 1 adult with 1 kid into a cat. 12 and 1 Adult with 3 kids into ocean view. (boys were 22, 19, 16, and 12). When we boarded, the purser gave us an extra room key for each room and the boys slept together.

This year in October I booked the Conquest for July. We booked cat. 11 for us and boys down the hall in balcony stateroom. NO problem this year.

I have read several times that the Conquest will not give that extra room key to a parent, even though they know a switch will be made.

Do what it takes to book what you want, then do the switcheroo! Whatever, have a great time!!![/quote]

This is what the Carnival rep told me over the phone. She also said to be sure and let the front desk know which passengers will be in the cabins who will be using the same credit card, so they won't charge the wrong person on the same account.

[quote name='jerseygirl3']Compumom, the Purser's Desk won't "switch" your Sail and Sign cards, but they will make a duplicate card that can be used as a room key only ( no charges). Probably because you asked for the Sail and Sign cards to be switched is why you were denied.[/quote]

Archived