friends of Dorothy? Friends of Bill W.

cruiseorbust

Ok, I know that "friends of Bill W." is for AA members. I am pleased that Celebrity would provide a place for that, but what would "friends of Dorothy" be for? Just curious.

Big Red Boat

Royal Majesty

Royal Majesty

Sensation

Sensation

Big Red Boat

Majesty

Ecstasy

Ecstasy

Century

Celebration

Horizon

Destiny

Mercury

Century

Voyager

Zenith

Mercury

Horizon

Galaxy

Summit

Horizon

Galaxy

Century

Mariner

Well, you can count me out for both meetings! Thanks for the info

Big Red Boat

Royal Majesty

Royal Majesty

Sensation

Sensation

Big Red Boat

Majesty

Ecstasy

Ecstasy

Century

Celebration

Horizon

Destiny

Mercury

Century

Voyager

Zenith

Mercury

Horizon

Galaxy

Summit

Horizon

Galaxy

Century

Mariner

Chip and I knew about the "friends of dorothy" group, but we didn't know what "friends of Bill W." was all about. So being the partiers we are we showed up at the meeting with a cocktail and wanted to join the fun, well you can count us out for that meeting.

New friendship is just a click away.

NCL Seaward 04/90

NCL Norway 10/95

Celebrity Century 04/00

NCL Wind 2001

Celebrity Horizon 11/01

Celebrity Millennium 12/01

NCL Norway 09/02

Carnival Victory 03/03

Sun Princess 11/03

countdown.php?month=10&year=2004&day=17&hour=20:00

Celebrity Infinity

CHIPANDJOHN-

I'm about to take my 21st cruise, the 5th one as a friend of Bill W. The only 2 differences are: 1.I remember them now 2. My account is hundreds less. Believe me, I had the same attitude and thoughts as you do, but you never know. Life is mysterious.

Sam

Perhaps :friends of Dorothy" has something to do with "over the rainbow" Whatever, I'm open to whoever - whenever. Life's too short for being judgemental.

Gig 'em Aggies

The Dorothy reference is to Wizard of Oz.. and also Judy Garland had many gay friends (and married one or two).. you can take all kinds of references out of the movie about finding a place where you feel like you belong, or wanting to fit in, etc. Anyway, back in the 50's and 60's it was a way for gay men to be discreet about each other by saying, "oh don't worry, he's a friend of Dorothy, too"..

You'd think in a world where we can have a TV show called Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, cruise ships could stop using such a term since there's no need to be anonymous anymore.. but the term has stuck.

CRUISES: Queen of Bermuda '89 Tropicale '99, Explorer of the Seas '02, Radiance of the Seas '02, Vision of the Seas '03, Queen Elizabeth 2 '03, Infinity '03, Serenade of the Seas '03, Monarch of the Seas '03, Norwegian Star '03, Queen Mary 2 '04,

Diamond Princess, '04

Detailed ship pix: http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla

• 2 weeks later...

i still get a kick out of the story about the ladies that went to a "friends of dorothy" meeting and were looking for their friend named dorothy...they were amazed she could have such a gathering for her aboard ship! so they found out what the gathering was, and ended up having an absolute blast for the rest of the cruise with the guys/gals they met! onward, boys and girls...see, they like us even more when they get to know us! but i agree with matt that the name should be changed to be a bit more descriptive and alleviate much of the confusion.

We were on the Infinity last year from Hawaii to Ensenada. There were two big group tours on the ship - around 500 Friends of Dorothy (all couples, tending to the "mature" end of the age scale) and a rather smaller number of members (300?) of a quite fundamentalist-sounding (based on overheard discussions) church from Kentucky. Now that was a combination to behold at dinnertime, damn near half the ship in one group or another. If looks could kill...

Let me tell you, formal night was a thing to be seen.

What a combo, gardyloo!

A "Friends of Dorothy" meeting was posted in the daily schedule on our Mercury sailing last year. One of the people we knew on the cruise was sailing with his mother, who's name is Dorothy. He had to advise her it was NOT a party in her honor!

I love the visual I'm getting of Chip&John showing up w/cocktails at the Bill W meeting!

Archived