Agean Titans

Ŵe're booked on Agean Titans calling at some of the Greek islands and visiting Athens, leaving on 22nd March, and we wondered if there is likely to be any problems due to the enormous number of refugees and other migrants.

Also, can anyone who has been to the area in early spring advise about the weather as we have no idea what sort of clothing we need to take. Thanks

Ive been in Athens in March a few times through work and it can be a month of extremes . Seen it 25c and also seen it as 5c so you need to pack for both. As for migrants that depends what Islands you are visiting but I think the Greek govt are trying to get them on to the mainland as quickly as they can so those on Islands are transient and I don't really see them causing you too much bother even if they are obvious. Buying the kids a few sweets or drinks might actually not be a bad idea if you do see them ashore - it's pretty heart breaking and cannot be pleasant at this time of year.

Thanks for that. We'll go prepared for both. We're having a day in London the day before leaving so we will need some warm clothes anyway.

Our ports of call are leaving from and returning to Limassol, then Heraklion, Athens, Mykonos Town, Kusadasi (Turkey) and Rhodes Town. I think Lesbos and Kos are the worst affected but there seem to be many in Athens.

Thank you WeeCountyMan. It doesn't sound too bad on the islands we're visiting. Athens, which is the main reason for choosing that particular cruise, is still of some concern but we're mainly interested in seeing the Acropolis.

I don't think Athens will be a problem for you.

We were there about 18 months ago - did the blue Hop On Hop Off bus which runs from the port area. If memory serves we booked online ahead of the cruise.

http://www.sightsofathens.gr/

Much cheaper than the other HoHo bus lines - although it has fewer stops, there is a limit as to what you can visit in one day - and it does the "usual suspects" tourist attractions like the Acropolis.

The weather should (?) be good without being oppressive as high season in July/August. Take a lightweight rain jacket or poncho just in case.

I would also advise taking your own headphones for the bus commentary, the ones supplied are basic.

Also, can anyone who has been to the area in early spring advise about the weather as we have no idea what sort of clothing we need to take. Thanks

March anywhere in the Med can be hit and miss weatherwise.

We are in Southern Spain and, here on the coast, have had temperatures of 24-28 degrees for the past 3 days BUT I can see snow capped mountains from my window so it is much cooler just a few kilometres inland. The Eastern Med should be a degree or two warmer than here.

Rainfall is definitely a possibility in March so carry a fold-up brolly or cagoule with you in your bag - rainfall tends to come in sudden short, but VERY sharp, showers rather than prolonged precipitation.

When going ashore I would suggest you wear layers - even on warmer days it can be cool first thing and again once the sun starts to dip in the sky from mid-afternoon onwards; layers mean you can peel them off as temperatures rise but have something to put on as they start to drop again.

On deck you may find it quite windy in March so take a warm stole or jacket.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

March anywhere in the Med can be hit and miss weatherwise.

We are in Southern Spain and, here on the coast, have had temperatures of 24-28 degrees for the past 3 days BUT I can see snow capped mountains from my window so it is much cooler just a few kilometres inland. The Eastern Med should be a degree or two warmer than here.

Rainfall is definitely a possibility in March so carry a fold-up brolly or cagoule with you in your bag - rainfall tends to come in sudden short, but VERY sharp, showers rather than prolonged precipitation.

When going ashore I would suggest you wear layers - even on warmer days it can be cool first thing and again once the sun starts to dip in the sky from mid-afternoon onwards; layers mean you can peel them off as temperatures rise but have something to put on as they start to drop again.

On deck you may find it quite windy in March so take a warm stole or jacket.

Hope this helps.

Just to show how changeable the Med weather can be in March and April - up to last night we had a week of temperatures in the mid to high 20s but today it is only 7 degrees with a bitterly cold wind.