Shared Transfer from Tianjin Port to Beijing?

VirtualRain

Hey there, I'm wondering if anyone has used either China Highlights or Tour-Beijing for a transfer from the port to central Beijing?

Both offer shared coach service for $49 USD and drop you at your hotel.

Anything good, bad or ugly to say about these companies service?

My concern is that with a stop at every hotel to drop people off, I'll be on the bus all day.

Although the bullet train sounds appealing, by the time you arrange transport to the station (45min) early enough to make sure you can get a ticket (budget 1hr), the train ride itself (1hr) and then battle traffic in a taxi on the Beijing end (30-60min), I'm not sure you're much further ahead time wise and it's a lot more trouble than just rolling off the ship and onto a coach.

Any advice?

China Highlights is well known and reliable.

You time estimate for the train is rather pessimistic. And not only will the bus need to make stops at multiple hotels but you won't leave Tianjin until everyone is off the boat. The advantage of the bus is not travel time but rather convenience (not having to figure you way around).

China Highlights is well known and reliable.

You time estimate for the train is rather pessimistic. And not only will the bus need to make stops at multiple hotels but you won't leave Tianjin until everyone is off the boat. The advantage of the bus is not travel time but rather convenience (not having to figure you way around).

I gather you think the train will be better? Have you actually done it?

Here's what I know about the train...

- There are three bullet trains from the new Yujiapu train station closest to the port, at 7:01, 8:45, and 11:39.

- From what I've read, the taxis at the port charge extortion rates for rides to the train station, so you really need to take the city bus #513 (which starts at 7AM but it's not clear from what end).

- The bus drops you at Citizen plaza (40min) and then take a taxi from there to Yujiapu station.

- Then you need to get your train ticket. You can either buy at the station if you speak Chinese, or buy in advance through a service and collect the ticket at the train station. However, in China there is a line for everything. They suggest a minimum 45 min budget for getting your ticket and getting on the train.

- Then the train ride is nice and fast - 1 hour to Beijing South Station.

- Taxi travel time from Beijing South Station is 35min without traffic (which is never). So expect about 1 hour transit time from the station to the Hotel.

So we could try to be off the ship before 7AM to catch the bus to the train station for the 8:45 departure and arrive in Beijing at our hotel at 11AM. (4 hours total) Or get off the ship around 9AM and be on the 11:30 train and arrive at the hotel around 1PM (4 hours total).

On a shared coach, we get off the ship at 9AM, get on the coach and arrive at our hotel around 1PM (4 hours total).

I really don't see the attraction of the train.

Edited by VirtualRain

I have taken the bullet train from Beijing South to Tianjin and there were automated kiosks with English option and counters where some staff spoke English. Bullet train seats are all reserved so you don't have to get there super early, just in time for boarding.