Pocket WiFi for Europe Trip

Bella Traveler

Hello,

We will be on the Danube Waltz River cruise (May 29 2016) after our Cinque Terre tour. I was wondering if somebody has information about use pocket WiFi in Europe. What's the most reliable and cheaper company to use?

I got an international plan with my local phone carrier and rented a pocket WiFi on my recent trip to Japan. It was so useful for navigation when we were trying to figure where to go during sight-seeing. I didn't use any roaming charges since I was relying on Wifi for data. I was hoping I can do the same for Europe. Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks

Bella

Edited by Bella Traveler

If you're only going to be using the hotspot for navigation you may want to consider going this route (no pun intended ;)): I used a couple of different iPhone mapping apps all throughout Europe and they worked great. Assuming you have an iPhone, just do a search in the app store for offline maps and a number of apps will come up. I used maps.me and HERE maps (but there are many others to choose from) and just downloaded maps while I was connected to wifi. There also are apps that focus just on particular countries and cities.

As far as hotspots, can't help you re: the most reliable or economical but there are a number to choose from if that's the way you want to go.

I have used a tep wireless (tep wireless.com) twice. Once while staying at a carfree village in Switzerland and once while circumnavigating Newfoundland. Easy to rent, easy to use, faster than the ship's wifi and no problem in the mountains. The website explains all you need to know. Not cheap ($9.95/day approx.), but it is your own personal secure site. We are traveling again in a couple of months and I will be renting a tep again. Highly recommend it!

Hello,

We will be on the Danube Waltz River cruise (May 29 2016) after our Cinque Terre tour. I was wondering if somebody has information about use pocket WiFi in Europe. What's the most reliable and cheaper company to use?

I got an international plan with my local phone carrier and rented a pocket WiFi on my recent trip to Japan. It was so useful for navigation when we were trying to figure where to go during sight-seeing. I didn't use any roaming charges since I was relying on Wifi for data. I was hoping I can do the same for Europe. Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks

Bella

Have used https://www.xcomglobal.com/plans/europe-wifi. Reliable and easy to use.

Janetcbl: I've read some reviews about tep wireless, and there were comments about battery life. I guess when you try to charge it, it automatically drains battery without your knowledge. Did you encounter any problems with battery life?

Thanks

Djett: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the site. It looks like it's more expensive than step wireless.

Bubbulz: Can you download multiple maps at the same time? I tried testing it, and it seems as you can only map from "current location" to destination. Does it also give you options by travel through local transportation like google maps does?

Thanks for all the suggestions

Janetcbl: I've read some reviews about tep wireless, and there were comments about battery life. I guess when you try to charge it, it automatically drains battery without your knowledge. Did you encounter any problems with battery life?

Thanks

I recharged the battery every night and never had a problem. I think you have the option of renting a second battery for back up, but I never did.

Djett: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the site. It looks like it's more expensive than step wireless.

Bubbulz: Can you download multiple maps at the same time? I tried testing it, and it seems as you can only map from "current location" to destination. Does it also give you options by travel through local transportation like google maps does?

Thanks for all the suggestions

The features vary depending on the particular app. There are a bunch of free ones that you can try out by doing a search in the iTunes store for offline maps or offline maps Europe, etc. Rather than loading my phone beforehand I would usually connect to the boat's wifi each day and get the maps for my current location.

Hello,

Thanks

Bella

Who is your cell phone carrier? Our plan (with T-Mobil) includes unlimited text and data (but not phone) almost world-wide. I used both Here (which a previous poster mentioned) and Waze in both South Africa and Israel, so I presume they will work in Europe:

When we arrived at a new country I turned on roaming [no charge under my plan if I don't make or receive phone calls]. Both Here and Waze worked on my cell phone without a problem. That's all I had to do to use Waze; for Here, before departing I had downloaded the Here maps for where I planned to be (don't know if that was necessary, though).

[Getting back to your question re wifi, I also occasionally used my tablet, since it has a larger screen. But since it does not have cell service I had to use my cell phone as a mobile wifi hot spot. On the cell phone, go to Settings and turn Internet Sharing on.]