Looking For Suggested Ways To Wear A Shawl

tarheelmjfan

I ordered a gold, embroidered shawl that is beautiful. Unfortunately, it's smaller than I expected. I had plans to wear it with a sleeveless top. I like to drape something over my arms. I then tie it in the front. This shawl isn't really wide enough to wear it that way. It's more the width of a scarf than a shawl, which it was advertised as. It's plenty long enough to tie. Any suggestions for alterations of my intended use? Thanks again for your help. :)

I left this on another post, but thought you might be able to use it!

I remember watching an "Everyone Loves Raymond " episode when his brother got married. Debra (Rays wife) was in the wedding and her gown was sleeveless, but what she did with the shawl was a great idea!

She took the shawl and wrapped it around her back like you usually would, then she brought the 2 ends to the front of her and then pulled them behind her, and tied them. The way the shawl draped on her back covered the knot that she made, but yet it coverd her arms! It looked like it stayed right in place....she even danced in it!!

I hope you can understand that....

Ollie:)

Ollie,

I think the description you've given would work w/ a wide shawl, not with a narrow shawl - which is exactly the problem that tarheelmjfan is having.

Tarheelmjfan,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your new question about the narrow scarf.....

Are you looking for alternative ways to wear it with the same gown or alternative ways to wear it all together (and then you'll buy anther shawl for that night).

If it's to use another way altogether, then I would simply use it as any scarf. I'm a real scarf fan and wear them always. Yours sounds like a perfect compliment to any outfit you'd wear out to dinner or a "dressy" afternoon. You could put the two ends together, put around the back of your neck and then simply pull those two ends through the middle "ring" that is formed. Let it hang down. It'll look gorgeous under a blazer, coat or cardigan or over a plain sweater.

Or you could double wrap it around your neck, so that the two ends meet at the font and then tie then "ascot" style, and let the ends drape down. That'll work as long as it's not too bulky. If it's bulky, that would only look well proportioned with a winter coat.

I never use pins or brooches on a scarf, it always seems like overkill to me, but that's just personal style.

Jane

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Sorry, I wasn't more clear in my OP. :o I want to be able to wear the shawl/scarf with the outfit I originally purchased it for. I'm looking for a way to wear it as a shawl without having it ride way up on my arms & back. If I drape it around the top of my shoulders, it doesn't come down far enough on my back for my liking. That probably doesn't make sense either, but I don't know how to describe exactly what I'm trying to say. :o

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Sorry, I wasn't more clear in my OP. :o I want to be able to wear the shawl/scarf with the outfit I originally purchased it for. I'm looking for a way to wear it as a shawl without having it ride way up on my arms & back. If I drape it around the top of my shoulders, it doesn't come down far enough on my back for my liking. That probably doesn't make sense either, but I don't know how to describe exactly what I'm trying to say. :o

Okay, now I understand. Unfortunately, it's probabably not going to work. It'll look like a scarf with a gown.

Sorry.

Jane

Archived