Can you check in a wheelchair with baggage?

gogetter

My wife wants to use her scooter to board and was wondering if you could check in a wheelchair?

Thank you

You can but it's not recommended as it greatly increases the possibility of it being damaged beyond repair. The dock workers will load it into the same bins with the luggage and you take the chance of items being piled on top of it.

Edited by xxoocruiser

You can but it's not recommended as it greatly increases the possibility of it being damaged beyond repair. The dock workers will load it into the same bins with the luggage and you take the chance of items being piled on top of it.

That sounds scarry! Plus, depending on the ship, where it is docked, and how steep it is to get on the ship, you may need to use the manual wc to actually get on and drive/push the scooter with no one on it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hello happy cruisers

I didn't take a wheel chair but I did take a folded walker with a seat with no problem. I folded it up and put a good sized piece of card board on both sides and duck taped it like mad.

I saved the card board in the back of my cruise cabin closet and because I read cruise critic I knew to bring some duck tape so I wrapped it up for the return flight home.

I had my scooter, a walker for tenders and buffets and my cane. It worked well for me. YMMV.

I would call your airline to be sure but I had no charges for all my extra stuff. I hope you have a handicapped cabin. Check in early at airlines.

Have fun and enjoy every minute of your cruise. Mine was 28 days and I was glad to have all my wheels and stuff.

Smooth sailing

4boysnana

Don't check it. Let her ride the scooter. I did 2 weeks ago and had absolutely NO PROBLEMS getting on or off or anywhere on the ship or in ports. You should push the wheelchair with your carry-ons. Everyone will be happier.

Used to travel with my mother and father, and her power wheelchair and manual wheelchair. We also took a portable lift. All of the above gate checked for flying. When we arrived at the ship, my mother was in the power chair, my dad put our carry-on bags on the manual wheelchair and pushed that, and I lugged the portable lift. We made quite a caravan, but it worked and we didn't have to worry about this vital mobility equipment getting damaged. We also took a folding shower/commode chair in a suitcase type bag, which we did check, although I was always nervous about it getting damaged. If you do the latter, be sure it is well marked "Medical Equipment" so you don't get charged for checking it.