Millennium Questions

GenSteve

I posted this as a new thread because I am unable to edit my previous post with the specific cruise date.

I'm VERY interested in booking Millennium's April 30th repositioning cruise. I have been on Princess (Grand) and Royal Caribbean (Jewel of the Seas).

1) This cruise has the best transatlantic itinerary I've found, but I have concerns about Celebrity being a bit too formal. We never eat in the dining room, preferring to casually eat at the buffet. I've read that Celebrity doesn't offer a buffet option for dinner, but does have menu dining. Any feedback?

2) Also, I understand that Millennium will be undergoing some updating before heading back to Europe with this cruise. Any details?

3) And, finally, I would appreciate any comments about the gym, spa, sauna, steam setup on Millennium.

Thanks...Steve

I can't comment on the dining as we had dinner in the dining room each night. I do recall seeing the waiters late in the day setting up a part of the buffet area for dinners. They were putting on tablecloths, napkins, nice glassware, etc. It is my understanding that you would order the same menu choices as in the dining room but then help yourself to salads, etc., from the buffet.

You must try the thalassatherapy pool (know I spelled that wrong!). It is pure heaven and you will not want to get out. This is an adults only area and Celebrity does seem to keep it that way. You can also dine on light, healthy lunches in the spa area.

You will love the Millennium - happy sailing!

mollyanne

The alternate casual dining is not the same menu as the dining room. Reservations are required and can be made the same day up to a couple of hours ahead. I believe there are two or three menus that alternate. You might want to checkout the menus posted on cruiseclues.com. Just click on menus. The menus are basically the same on all Celebrity ships so you can look at menus posted for any one - Horizon, Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Summit, Infinity and Millennium. There is also a link to wine lists and bar menus. Again, these are also basically the same on all Celebrity ships so just look at any Celebrity ship. Also, the dining room menu is available from room service during the dining room hours.

The t-pool is free for all passengers and is just outside the actual spa.

As far as the drydock goes, we will be on the first cruise after. I have heard many things ranging from replacing the propulsion system to just normal sprucing up. I am sure those of us on the trans will post more info when we get back.

The menu offered in the casual dining blvd. at the buffet area for dinner is shorter than the dining room's menu, but still will be a nice experience. I understand, for instance, if lobster is offered in the main dining room, it is not at casual blvd. There is a recommended $2 per person tip suggested. They do not take reservations earlier than the day of the seating. I've read that some people were able to make their reservations immediately before heading up to the buffet, (or even were seated when they inquired at 5 or 6 p.m.) but it is nice to tell them earlier so that they can have the table set up. It will be with table cloths just like in the dining room. i understand that you serve yourself salad and the waiters then bring your entree.

There is pizza and make your own pasta and sushi, available late, and hamburgers and hot dogs available until 6 by the pool, and the same luncheon menu from the Aqua Spa until 8 p.m.

There is also "tea" during late afternoon which might stave off hunger. Sometimes there is a formal white gloved tea (but you do not have to wear formal wear) in the dining room available at least once during a cruise, and the pastry and finger sandwiches are greater there. It's also a chance to meet new people.

Room service DURING regular meal times will allow you to order from the dining room menu. Your steward can bring you a menu so you can make selections with him/her rather than by telephone. By telephone or TV you would be limited to the regular room service menu of soups, sandwiches, cheese & fruit plate, possibly salad and desserts. Be sure to mention condiments or you won't receive them. I ordered the lobster and received no butter sauce. I ordered the chimichurra steak and received no sauces (having had this in Argentinian restaurants, the sauce makes the meal!) I had just returned from the spa at 8:30 and ordered. My steward said she'd place the order for 9 since then it would correspond better to the timing of the serving of the main course. Very smart of her, so i wouldn't be impatient waiting. When dinner was over I called a number to have a person pick up the dishes and tray. There are no dirty dishes sitting around Celebrity ships' halls!

Depending upon what kind of cabin you have, there may not be lots of room for eating in the cabin. The coffee table is not large. I cleared a place on the vanity/desk to sit, and the meal trays were placed on the coffee table and /or sofa or bed if someone wanted to sit on the sofa and use the coffee table to eat from. If you have a suite with a dining room table, no problem!

Since in the dining room you may order a steak, chicken breast, shrimp cocktail, mashed or baked potato, caesar salad etc. surely you can tell your steward if you want any of those for room service. I am not sure if they would be available in the casual dining blvd. Anyone know?

The luncheon menu in the dining room is posted outside the dining room after breakfast so you can determine if you want to eat there or at the buffet.

The dinner menu in the dining room is posted outside the dining room after lunch so you can figure out what you want to order from room service, or to ask at the buffet area of the manager which of those items will be on its menu that night.

And in the lounges/bars on certain nights there are "gourmet bites" served with cocktails (or whatever you are drinking, or not drinking I suppose). Things like mini beef wellingtons and crab puffs.

Archived