Oslo Tours

I have located the cruise term. and the Historical Museum on my map. Where is the Viking Ship Museum in relation to those two? Are taxis available? What are the costs? Many thanks. Julia

Both the cruise pier and the Historical Museum are downtown. The Viking Ship Museum is around the corner from the open-air Folk Museum on Bygdøy peninsula.

As brazilgirl mentioned, you can take a boat to Bygdøy from in front of the city hall, and the museum is about 10 minutes walk from the first boat stop. I believe that this trip is included in the OsloPass but is no longer covered by the normal city transit passes.

Alternatively, the city bus #30 Bygdøy stops in front of the city hall at the moment, and it takes around 20 minutes to get to the Vikingskipene stop, right in front of the museum. The bus is covered by the OsloPass and city transit passes. Single bus tickets are 32 NOK if you buy them from a machine or convenience store ahead of time and 50 NOK if you buy them from the bus driver.

Taxis in Oslo are quite expensive. A 5-10 minute trip downtown typically costs around 125-150 NOK, so a trip out to Bygdøy would probably cost 300+ NOK.

A single ticket is currently 32 NOK when purchased in advance (It's 50 NOK if you buy it from a bus driver, but tram drivers have stopped selling tickets). The 24-hour pass is 90 NOK.

Since you'll need a minimum of three trips, even if you go straight from Vigelandsparken to the islands, and since you would have to buy the tram ticket before boarding anyway, you're better off just buying the 24-hour pass. You can buy it most convenience stores. If you're docking near the fortress, there's a 7-11 behind the city hall.

Is it possible to go from Vigelandsparken straight to the islands? How would I do that?

Thanks so so much for your help! Much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to go from Vigelandsparken straight to the islands? How would I do that?

Thanks so so much for your help! Much appreciated!

The simplest route would be to take the tram 12 back to the Rådhus to catch the ferry. Alternatively, you could walk (or take the bus 20) to the Majorstuen T-bane (metro/subway) station and take that 1 stop to Nationaltheatret. It's a 5-minute walk from there to the Rådhus/ferry. (It sounds like a lot, but the tram stops quite often and runs less frequently, so the T-babe is usually faster.)

Thank you for posting some of the suggestions. I see there is a Resistance Museum for WWII on the list. We are booked with a ships tour for this port for 3 hours. We will go to see Fram, KonTiki, & Viking Museums. I would love to surprise my husband with a side trip after this tour to the RM WWII. Is this near the port area? We have 5 hours but they are in the early evening. Should return around 4:30 from scheduled tour and really don't care about dinner on the ship so could head straight out again to see this museum.

Also have 3 hours when we dock before tour (unless I can get an earlier time which hasn't been offered) and thought about the Akershus Fortress which appears to be close to the port. Is that something we could do in a couple of hours?

Thanks again.

Thank you for posting some of the suggestions. I see there is a Resistance Museum for WWII on the list. We are booked with a ships tour for this port for 3 hours. We will go to see Fram, KonTiki, & Viking Museums. I would love to surprise my husband with a side trip after this tour to the RM WWII. Is this near the port area? We have 5 hours but they are in the early evening. Should return around 4:30 from scheduled tour and really don't care about dinner on the ship so could head straight out again to see this museum.

Also have 3 hours when we dock before tour (unless I can get an earlier time which hasn't been offered) and thought about the Akershus Fortress which appears to be close to the port. Is that something we could do in a couple of hours?

Thanks again.

You are in luck as the Resistance Museum is in the Akershus Fortresss and is very near where the ships dock.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181474

You should be able to do everything you are interested in... Enjoy Oslo!

Thanks again.

Most ships dock alongside the Akershus Fortress, but there are a few that do not. You can find the port schedule here:

http://oslohavn.no/filestore/PDF/2016/20160307Forventedecruiseanlp2016.pdf

The Resistance Museum is actually within the Akershus Fortress grounds. Unfortunately, they close at 4 or 5pm, so there isn't enough time for you to visit the museum after your tour. However, they open at 10 or 11, so you might have time beforehand.

http://www.forsvaretsmuseer.no/Hjemmefrontmuseet/*****-museet/Information-in-English

As a rough guess, I would say that it takes around 45-90 minutes to visit the museum. There is a lot of descriptive text (in both English and Norwegian), so it depends on how much of it you stop to read in its entirety.

For the fortress itself, there is a tour of the castle that takes around an hour, but it is somewhat infrequent. Most people just visit the grounds and enjoy the views, so you can spend as much or as little time as you choose to spend. It's not a particularly large area, so I would say 30-60 minutes depending on how many photos you take.

You are in luck as the Resistance Museum is in the Akershus Fortresss and is very near where the ships dock.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181474

You should be able to do everything you are interested in... Enjoy Oslo!

Thanks it is looking like a wonderful trip even if it rains most of what we are looking to see is inside.

Most ships dock alongside the Akershus Fortress, but there are a few that do not. You can find the port schedule here:

http://oslohavn.no/filestore/PDF/2016/20160307Forventedecruiseanlp2016.pdf

The Resistance Museum is actually within the Akershus Fortress grounds. Unfortunately, they close at 4 or 5pm, so there isn't enough time for you to visit the museum after your tour. However, they open at 10 or 11, so you might have time beforehand.

http://www.forsvaretsmuseer.no/Hjemmefrontmuseet/*****-museet/Information-in-English

As a rough guess, I would say that it takes around 45-90 minutes to visit the museum. There is a lot of descriptive text (in both English and Norwegian), so it depends on how much of it you stop to read in its entirety.

For the fortress itself, there is a tour of the castle that takes around an hour, but it is somewhat infrequent. Most people just visit the grounds and enjoy the views, so you can spend as much or as little time as you choose to spend. It's not a particularly large area, so I would say 30-60 minutes depending on how many photos you take.

Thank you we will plan on getting off the ship as soon as we can and head straight to the Museum. We plan to NOK currency but it need be would you know if the accept credit cards? The link shows SAK so I hope that would be near the Fortress. I received an e-mail that the Fortress is open until 9:00PM so we can do this after the tour. He said it is free but will look for a donation box if that's the case and it would be a good place to put any left over currency :).

Thank you we will plan on getting off the ship as soon as we can and head straight to the Museum. We plan to NOK currency but it need be would you know if the accept credit cards?

Pretty much everywhere that deals with tourists should be able to take foreign credit cards.

And SAK is indeed Søndre Akershuskai, which is the pier next to the fortress!

Oh so happy. Now I'm looking forward to Oslo even more. My husband is a huge history buff and this will be a nice surprise for him when he thinks we are only going to the fortress to kill time :).

Museum in the AM and then if he wants the Fortress in the late afternoon.

Thanks you everybody for all the help with this port.