Diving in Roatan

RNMegs

Hi! I am going on my first cruise with my hubs on May 1 (Norwegian Getaway) and he really wants to go diving. The only excursion I saw is for beginners and hes been doing it all his life. So since this port didnt have any excursions we reallllly had to do, I was going to try and book him a diving trip here. I would hang back and go shopping or get a day pass at a resort. So my question is, is it easy to find somewhere to go diving? I dont know how to go about finding it. Do the resorts offer it or do the dive shops have like reps at the port when we pull in trying to offer services? Sorry for the rambling! Thanks for any tips!:D

Hi! I am going on my first cruise with my hubs on May 1 (Norwegian Getaway) and he really wants to go diving. The only excursion I saw is for beginners and hes been doing it all his life. So since this port didnt have any excursions we reallllly had to do, I was going to try and book him a diving trip here. I would hang back and go shopping or get a day pass at a resort. So my question is, is it easy to find somewhere to go diving? I dont know how to go about finding it. Do the resorts offer it or do the dive shops have like reps at the port when we pull in trying to offer services? Sorry for the rambling! Thanks for any tips!:D

If you wish to shop while your husband dives, the village of West End is good choice, Half Moon Bay Beach is also part of West End. I would recommend your husband Google "Dive Shops West End", to choose one that fits him, then ask if they do a cruise ship option.

Or have a look thru the reviews on Trip Adviser then ask that shop to find out if they do a cruise ship option.

Another option is to ask straight out on the Roatan TA board what shops those guys recommend. If you choose this option it may be worth while for your husband to post a thread, he knows the language and will get a bit more respect from those hard core divers.

This is an easy thing to do, your husband just needs to fit a shop that fits his needs.

Edited by Guest 2000

So what you should decide is if YOU want to go shopping or if you want to lay on the beach. Your husband can go with a dive shop in West End OR West Bay but if YOU want to shop, you guys should be in West End, if you want to lay out, you could do West End OR West Bay.

West Bay beach is the beach we are famous for- super long white sand beach. You can do free-with-consumption at a few places there where you can eat/drink and use their beach chairs (Like Bananarama usually) or Beacher's restaurant. Or you can do a day pass at a resort on West Bay Beach.

In West End, it is more of a village community, a bit funkier and more relaxed. There are a lot of great dive shops in West End. I would recommend Native Son's dive shop in West End if your husband wants a relaxed diving experience. Though there are some terrific shops all along the West End road. If your husband went diving with them, for example you could walk the road and do some shopping, you could also go swimming in Half Moon Bay (or snorkel) while you wait for him. "Mish" (Michelle) at Native Sons can help you set all that up, you can find them on facebook or online and set it up directly with her.

Have fun!

We are headed there next week and have booked a dive with Coconut Tree Divers. Haven't used them before but the communication so far has been great. And they get top notch reviews on TA. They are in West End.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Builder31

Thank you both! We are going to check out Native Sons on Facebook and Builder31, please let me know about Coconut Tree. I think I would want to do a little shopping and sit on the beach and eat and drink some fruity cocktails! So I guess West End is the better choice for us!:D