Post Cruise from Civitavecchia to Tuscany in April?

meengla

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to spend about 6 days post cruise in Italy. Our cruise arrives early morning 15 April at Civitavecchia and we come back to America from Rome's FCO airport on morning of 21 April.

What we are really interested in small towns, farms, scenic views and wineries. Not particular interested in ruins in this trip except maybe a day trip to Rome and/or day trip to Florence or Pisa.

So Tuscany seems like a good match. My thoughts are to rent a car from the port on 15 April and go to Saturnia and stay near the hot springs area and then take day tours from there.

Could anyone please guide if it is not too bad for an American to drive in Italy, especially for our suggested routes? Or are there tours available or customizable tours for our needs? Note, we are going to be in the 'budget' category but would at least prefer our own bedroom for stays.

Thanks!

Driving in Tuscany is quite easy, as always avoid the center of any town of size or city because of ZTLs and do a little up front research about street parking requirements. Other than that it's a piece of cake.

I would suggest going further north into Tuscany, maybe as far as Pienza or Montalcino.

Driving in Tuscany is quite easy, as always avoid the center of any town of size or city because of ZTLs and do a little up front research about street parking requirements. Other than that it's a piece of cake.

I would suggest going further north into Tuscany, maybe as far as Pienza or Montalcino.

Thanks!

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to spend about 6 days post cruise in Italy. Our cruise arrives early morning 15 April at Civitavecchia and we come back to America from Rome's FCO airport on morning of 21 April.

What we are really interested in small towns, farms, scenic views and wineries. Not particular interested in ruins in this trip except maybe a day trip to Rome and/or day trip to Florence or Pisa.

So Tuscany seems like a good match. My thoughts are to rent a car from the port on 15 April and go to Saturnia and stay near the hot springs area and then take day tours from there.

Could anyone please guide if it is not too bad for an American to drive in Italy, especially for our suggested routes? Or are there tours available or customizable tours for our needs? Note, we are going to be in the 'budget' category but would at least prefer our own bedroom for stays.

Thanks!

We have traveled in Italy by train and it was convient and enjoyable.

We went from Rome to Florence and Pisa, to Milan, and then to Lake Como. Another time we went from Venice to Padua to Rome.

The trains are on time and clean

We have traveled in Italy by train and it was convient and enjoyable.

We went from Rome to Florence and Pisa, to Milan, and then to Lake Como. Another time we went from Venice to Padua to Rome.

The trains are on time and clean

Thanks!

I am following my Italy trip on this cruise's Roll Call now...

I am getting some good info from the Roll Call section for this cruise.

So never mind.

Thanks

But I am also hoping for a post-cruise stay in Tuscany in October '17, so keep the information coming! We are thinking of a vacation rental and renting a car while there for day trips. We hope to be able to fit in a one day trip to Venice via train and have a guide meet us at the station and give us a tour of Venice. Any suggestions would be welcome! We do plan to spend a few day in Rome pre-cruise, so we would not need to go there.

We are currently doing an 8 day road trip, by rental car, in Tuscany. Our itinerary is Bologna - Florence - Chianti wine route - Siena - Monteriggione - San Gimignano - Voterra - Pisa - Lucca - Cinque Terra - Bologna.

If you think our experience can help you with your trip, shout out.

We're renting a car at the port and driving to Siena for a three days. So far the plan is nne day for Siena, one day for towns north (San Gimignano/Volterra), one day for towns south (Motepulciano, Pienza) and then head to FCO to drop the car off and spend our last night. We'll stop in Orvieto on the way to FCO. We have a 7am flight out, so staying by the airport our last night made sense

We are currently doing an 8 day road trip, by rental car, in Tuscany. Our itinerary is Bologna - Florence - Chianti wine route - Siena - Monteriggione - San Gimignano - Voterra - Pisa - Lucca - Cinque Terra - Bologna.

If you think our experience can help you with your trip, shout out.

That sounds like a lovely trip. I hope you can post your experiences here.:)

That sounds like a lovely trip. I hope you can post your experiences here.:)

We're back home after our all too brief road trip in Tuscany and Liguria. It was a delight from start to finish and the driving was quite pleasant - not the chore I remembered from previous visits. Our route took us from Bologna (our entry airport) to Florence. Having spent a few days here previously we only spent one night there. The challenge with Florence is finding a good, reasonably priced hotel with car parking (and is outside the ztl) that is walkable to the main sights - the Villa Nardi fulfilled all our needs. Our next day took along the Chianti wine route (sr222) via Greve in Chianti, Radda in Chianti and Monteriggione before heading to Siena for a two night stay. Again, we had the same criteria for selecting our hotel as in Florence and again the Palazzo di Valli fit the bill. Siena was a real highlight for us and at this time of year very quiet.

On onward route took us via San Gimignano and Volterra to Lucca for our overnight stay at the Hotel Ilaria this time within the walled city but accessible by car. On approaching Lucca we decided to revisit Pisa - well actually a quick look at the Duomo and leaning tower. Being a Sunday the car park, a five minute walk away was free and deserted! We thoroughly enjoyed Lucca, especially walking around the city walls.

Our next day involved a late start as we keen to take in as much of Lucca as we could but eventually set off for Liguria and the Cinque Terra. We decided that we had time to visit Portofino which was a little off route, but so glad we did, it is beautiful.

Our base was to be Levanto which is on the railway line at the northern end of the Cinque Terra - the train was to be our way of visiting the five villages as car access is virtually impossible. Our hotel was excellent as was its restaurant (Hotel Abaetaia - a little isolated so a car is essential). Exploring the Cinque Terra by train is so convenient, a €12 Cinque Terra card gives one day access to the walking trails and unlimited train travel. We travelled from village to village by train with exception of our hike from Cornelia to Vernazza.

Our next day saw us drive back to Bologna via Modena (stocking up on balsamic vinegar) for our overnight stay for an early flight home the next morning. Hope this helps with planning your trip.

We're back home after our all too brief road trip in Tuscany and Liguria. It was a delight from start to finish and the driving was quite pleasant - not the chore I remembered from previous visits. Our route took us from Bologna (our entry airport) to Florence. Having spent a few days here previously we only spent one night there. The challenge with Florence is finding a good, reasonably priced hotel with car parking (and is outside the ztl) that is walkable to the main sights - the Villa Nardi fulfilled all our needs. Our next day took along the Chianti wine route (sr222) via Greve in Chianti, Radda in Chianti and Monteriggione before heading to Siena for a two night stay. Again, we had the same criteria for selecting our hotel as in Florence and again the Palazzo di Valli fit the bill. Siena was a real highlight for us and at this time of year very quiet.

On onward route took us via San Gimignano and Volterra to Lucca for our overnight stay at the Hotel Ilaria this time within the walled city but accessible by car. On approaching Lucca we decided to revisit Pisa - well actually a quick look at the Duomo and leaning tower. Being a Sunday the car park, a five minute walk away was free and deserted! We thoroughly enjoyed Lucca, especially walking around the city walls.

Our next day involved a late start as we keen to take in as much of Lucca as we could but eventually set off for Liguria and the Cinque Terra. We decided that we had time to visit Portofino which was a little off route, but so glad we did, it is beautiful.

Our base was to be Levanto which is on the railway line at the northern end of the Cinque Terra - the train was to be our way of visiting the five villages as car access is virtually impossible. Our hotel was excellent as was its restaurant (Hotel Abaetaia - a little isolated so a car is essential). Exploring the Cinque Terra by train is so convenient, a €12 Cinque Terra card gives one day access to the walking trails and unlimited train travel. We travelled from village to village by train with exception of our hike from Cornelia to Vernazza.

Our next day saw us drive back to Bologna via Modena (stocking up on balsamic vinegar) for our overnight stay for an early flight home the next morning. Hope this helps with planning your trip.

Welcome home! Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm happy to read that Siena was a highlight since that will be our base. Also glad the driving wasn't a hassle. I've been researching the ztls for the towns we want to visit. It seems pretty straight forward.

Did you prefer San Gimignano or Volterra? I'm trying to decide if we should see both or just one.

Welcome home! Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm happy to read that Siena was a highlight since that will be our base. Also glad the driving wasn't a hassle. I've been researching the ztls for the towns we want to visit. It seems pretty straight forward.

Did you prefer San Gimignano or Volterra? I'm trying to decide if we should see both or just one.

San Gimignano or Volterra - that's a tough question. I would go for SG but if you can, try to see both.

I see this thread keeps going! Good. We can learn from each other.

While we are yet to board for our cruise, one quick suggestion: If you are renting then get an International Driver Permit from some place like AAA. It costs $15 plus, if you don't have a AAA membership or have two passport photos, then probably $15 more for the photos; with AAA membership I think they give you the two photos free.

The Permit maybe required to rent a car in Italy!

Thank you for the short review! We are excited about our Tuscany adventure and your insight provides a nice starting point for our research.

We are hoping to stay in a vacation rental villa while there as a base and taking day trips to see other areas in Tuscany. Any suggestions as to a good location for home base?

San Gimignano or Volterra - that's a tough question. I would go for SG but if you can, try to see both.

Thank you. I'd like to see both too, but we have other places on our list and I don't want to do "drive bys". If I have to cut one, Volterra is the farthest...

How were the crowds in San Gimignano? I've read that it can be terribly crowded. We'll be there mid-May.

Thank you for the short review! We are excited about our Tuscany adventure and your insight provides a nice starting point for our research.

We are hoping to stay in a vacation rental villa while there as a base and taking day trips to see other areas in Tuscany. Any suggestions as to a good location for home base?

Because we have yet to take our cruise and have, so far, never been to Italy, we can't be sure about where to stay! But have we booked a farm house/B&B through airbnb.com in a very small village between Seggiano and Castel del Piano in southern Italy. The reviews for the place are great and it is close to the hot springs of Bagni San Filippo. We love hot springs! The price/day was reasonable for around $50, which includes our private room and bathroom, and the farm-origin breakfast! We will have to rent a car from Civit to get there but the place is only 2 hours from Civit and just about most of Tuscany is within 2-3 hours drive.

On the other hand, several people from our 2 April cruise are going to Montepulciano and staying in town for a place which charges around $100/day--not bad.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I'd like to see both too, but we have other places on our list and I don't want to do "drive bys". If I have to cut one, Volterra is the farthest...

How were the crowds in San Gimignano? I've read that it can be terribly crowded. We'll be there mid-May.

We got to SG quite early (10am) so it was quiet, but as we left, the tour buses were arriving.

Because we have yet to take our cruise and have, so far, never been to Italy, we can't be sure about where to stay! But have we booked a farm house/B&B through airbnb.com in a very small village between Seggiano and Castel del Piano in southern Italy. The reviews for the place are great and it is close to the hot springs of Bagni San Filippo. We love hot springs! The price/day was reasonable for around $50, which includes our private room and bathroom, and the farm-origin breakfast! We will have to rent a car from Civit to get there but the place is only 2 hours from Civit and just about most of Tuscany is within 2-3 hours drive.

On the other hand, several people from our 2 April cruise are going to Montepulciano and staying in town for a place which charges around $100/day--not bad.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. That does help.

Since we are getting off a ship and going straight to Tuscany (doing Rome pre-cruise) I like the idea of renting a car from Civit. However, we will be flying to Barcelona after our 5 nights in Tuscany for a TA back to the states. Do you know if you can return the car back to the Rome airport?

Thank you. That does help.

Since we are getting off a ship and going straight to Tuscany (doing Rome pre-cruise) I like the idea of renting a car from Civit. However, we will be flying to Barcelona after our 5 nights in Tuscany for a TA back to the states. Do you know if you can return the car back to the Rome airport?

I envy your trip!

I am almost certain Hertz would allow me to return to Rome airport instead of to Civit. Except I dont have the stomach to drive to urban areas... Try hertz.com !

Ps. I am almost regretting not doing TA after the land part in Europe... Ending a trip by taking a cruise must be relaxing ... Oh well.. next time

Always check with the consolidators for a rental of three days or more. They often have better rates than purchasing directly from the agencies (counterintuitive, I know) and I've never had an issue returning a car to a different location.

http://www.autoeurope.com/

http://www.kemwel.com/index.cfm

Yes, it is normally possible to collect the car from one place and return to another, but the car hire company will charge a premium to do that.

Yes, sometimes but not always. Again, check the consolidators. I just did a dummy reservation with Auto Europe, once with round trip Civitavecchia and the other with the return in Rome and the price was the same.

Edited by euro cruiser

Yes, sometimes but not always. Again, check the consolidators. I just did a dummy reservation with Auto Europe, once with round trip Civitavecchia and the other with the return in Rome and the price was the same.

Indeed, Auto Europe should be checked out first before going through the agencies! I am finding that a five day manual transmission rental at Auto Europe starting 15 April from Civitachevia (same place return) is only around $100 while at Hertz it was around $123 yesterday.

Too bad, I have already booked an automatic at Hertz for $183. I kinda need automatic--wife cant drive manual and I just won't risk me being the only driver and my nervousness of Italian roads (even if country roads mostly).

Thanks for the info! Hopefully, this will help others.

Always check with the consolidators for a rental of three days or more. They often have better rates than purchasing directly from the agencies (counterintuitive, I know) and I've never had an issue returning a car to a different location.

http://www.autoeurope.com/

http://www.kemwel.com/index.cfm

Thank you! I bookmarked those sites.:)