Montego Bay Beach Suggestions?

dawnb72413

We have a group of 20 family members sailing on the Carnival Magic next week, with one of our ports of call being Montego Bay. My 20-year-old step-son and one of his cousins don't want to do any of the excursions that everyone else is doing, and would rather just "hang out on a beach and drink." We're okay with that, but his "I'm sure we'll find something to do" attitude makes me nervous, with all I've read about Jamaica, and would prefer to know that they're going someplace safe. I've read a little about Doctor's Cave Beach, but I was wondering if there are any other options they should consider. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

We have a group of 20 family members sailing on the Carnival Magic next week, with one of our ports of call being Montego Bay. My 20-year-old step-son and one of his cousins don't want to do any of the excursions that everyone else is doing, and would rather just "hang out on a beach and drink." We're okay with that, but his "I'm sure we'll find something to do" attitude makes me nervous, with all I've read about Jamaica, and would prefer to know that they're going someplace safe. I've read a little about Doctor's Cave Beach, but I was wondering if there are any other options they should consider. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Without going to an AI resort, the beach options are limited. Dr's Cave Beach is a safe place. Just remember, if they go out on their own, they will have to be responsible for getting back to the ship on time. Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee anything. A ship sponsored beach excursion would probably be the "safest" option, but they are usually over priced.

Edit: I just noticed you are on the Magic 3/20. That is the same time I am sailing. My family is planning on going to Doctor's Cave beach. They are more than welcome to share a taxi with us to the beach and back.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Without going to an AI resort, the beach options are limited. Dr's Cave Beach is a safe place. Just remember, if they go out on their own, they will have to be responsible for getting back to the ship on time. Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee anything. A ship sponsored beach excursion would probably be the "safest" option, but they are usually over priced.

Edit: I just noticed you are on the Magic 3/20. That is the same time I am sailing. My family is planning on going to Doctor's Cave beach. They are more than welcome to share a taxi with us to the beach and back.

Thank you so much for the response & for the kind offer to share a taxi. Unfortunately, I know my step-son and let's just say he's "motivationally challenged" when it comes to getting up in the morning, and I wouldn't want you to get stuck waiting on them.

I did look into the ship sponsored excursions, but they were all for AI resorts and, yes, quite expensive. I guess I will pass along the info on Doctor's Cave Beach, strongly suggest they go there & trust in them to make good decisions!

Doctor's Cave is your best option if not wanting to do an AI resort day pass. Do a search of their website for all the info one needs. There are numerous van taxis right outside the port doors ready and willing to take passengers to Dr's Cave (among other locations). It was $5 pp each way IIRC.

It's worth noting that the vans will not leave until completely full(which can take 10-15 minutes depending) and they will also try to sell people on taking a tour with them for the day. Just politely refuse and ask to be dropped off at the beach. They may even be waiting for you when you're ready to leave...Or there are plenty of taxis on the Hip Strip -- to the point that you will be beating them off with a stick. No prob for a 5-spot (pp) back to the ship when you want.

Thank you so much for the response & for the kind offer to share a taxi. Unfortunately, I know my step-son and let's just say he's "motivationally challenged" when it comes to getting up in the morning, and I wouldn't want you to get stuck waiting on them.

I did look into the ship sponsored excursions, but they were all for AI resorts and, yes, quite expensive. I guess I will pass along the info on Doctor's Cave Beach, strongly suggest they go there & trust in them to make good decisions!

No problem. I also remember being "motivationally challeged" :cool:

Many of the Resorts will book up quickly if not already sold out because of Spring Break and the holiday. I would check with Resortforaday.com and see if the Sunscape Splash is still available. They include roundtrip transfers and can possibly get you a group discount.