Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala

BabsM

Can anyone tell me about this port? What shore excursions are good?

We will be there in March. We are families of adults and grade school age children. Is the area safe? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

You'll be tying up at a working container-freight terminal where they export banana's to the world.

There isn't anything at the pier or the nearby village - so unless you wish to stay aboard ship that day, book an excursion.

We were on Oosterdam's maiden call there in Feb '04 where we did the Mayan Ruins/Rio Dulce all day excursion. First an air conditioned busride through the beautiful countryside while our guide explained much of his country's culture. He then led us through the fascinating ruins as he explained in great detail what we were looking at - the symbolism of the carvings as wellas why and how they were created and used. From there, we drove to an expat-American owned resort where we had a refreshing lunch, then boarded boats to take us down the Rio Dulce - which was like living inside an episode of National Geographic for the afternoon as the guide pointed out and described the interesting geology, wildlife and culture. Then the boats headed to the open sea where we cruised along the coast and into the bay where the ships were harbored, and our excursion landed us at the bow of our ship.

If you do this excursion, take lots of bottled water and some snacky things, sunscreen and a hat, small US bills for the little souveneir market at the ruins and a beer at the resort, and something soft to sit on as the boats have very hard seats. (...and of course, your camera!)

It was a long, hot, tiring day - but the learning experience was well worth the trip!

• 5 weeks later...

We were there two years ago on the Veendam. We have a friend of ours who is one of the piano bar players. We went to Amatique Bay Resort. Very laid back. Large pool with swim up bar. Water slide for the kid in all of us. Pirate ship for the kids to play on. Beautiful grounds..and lots of it...jade museum. A few local vendors. Good food.

We never left the compound where the ship docks.

If you want to know more about the area try this web site...http://www.lonelyplanet.com. They give an imparticial view. You also can see what people say who have been there. They usually have any comments on safety. Like I said, we never left the compound. We got on a boat at the pier and went directly by water to Amatique Bay Resort.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention...the restaraunt is a very 2/3 story tree house looking thing. The Civiche is wonderful. Hope I spelled that right.

Thanks for the link. We'll also be visiting this port on our Christmas Volendam sailing, so I was interested to find out what info was available. Nothing specific on that site (that I could find, anyway) as to Santo Tomas; just the country in general. Amatique Bay Resort sounds like a good choice.

Despite its turmoil, travellers flock to Guatemala because it offers Central America in concentrated form: its volcanoes are the highest and most active, its Mayan ruins the most impressive, its earthquakes the most devastating and its history of repression decidedly world-class.

Hurricane damage/Safety Issues for Foreigners

In the wake of Hurricane Stan, which caused severe flooding and wiped out entire villages, Guatemala is now facing a severe food shortage. Travellers are advised to research the current situation before planning trips across the country.

Travel in Guatemala is generally safe, but a relatively high level of violent crimes are committed against foreigners. Vehicle-jackings are almost an everyday occurrence, especially in Guatemala City. Intercity travel after sunset should be avoided.

Thanks for the link. We'll also be visiting this port on our Christmas Volendam sailing, so I was interested to find out what info was available. Nothing specific on that site (that I could find, anyway) as to Santo Tomas; just the country in general. Amatique Bay Resort sounds like a good choice.

Despite its turmoil, travellers flock to Guatemala because it offers Central America in concentrated form: its volcanoes are the highest and most active, its Mayan ruins the most impressive, its earthquakes the most devastating and its history of repression decidedly world-class.

Hurricane damage/Safety Issues for Foreigners

In the wake of Hurricane Stan, which caused severe flooding and wiped out entire villages, Guatemala is now facing a severe food shortage. Travellers are advised to research the current situation before planning trips across the country.

Travel in Guatemala is generally safe, but a relatively high level of violent crimes are committed against foreigners. Vehicle-jackings are almost an everyday occurrence, especially in Guatemala City. Intercity travel after sunset should be avoided.

See you in Belize City on the 23rd...Glad the site helped a little.

Like cold ones? Do we ever:D . Near the pier is even better:D :D . If you're willing to share the name, we're certainly interested.:) [/quote

Southbound,

Cannot remember the name of the place. Have it on my other laptop that crashed. Will be having the info pulled of next week from the hard drive. It is next to the port/compound. A completely enclosed shopping area when you get of the speed boats that get you to shore. It is on the other side of the fence. Two stories on stilts. Can,t miss it...yellow...green...orange...people having fun!!!! :D Little art shop in front.

If you are in we will send more info..even a pic...when I get the info off the other hard drive.

Jeff/Jessemon

Is the atmosphere at this place similar to Carlos & Charlie's? Even in the afternoon, we always have a nice time there. A little more subdued, but fun all the same watching the participants. :) Don't know how many we can get to join in from our ship, but there'll be time to work on it before arrival in port.

Is the atmosphere at this place similar to Carlos & Charlie's? Even in the afternoon, we always have a nice time there. A little more subdued, but fun all the same watching the participants. :) Don't know how many we can get to join in from our ship, but there'll be time to work on it before arrival in port.

Southbound,

There is no atmosphere like Carlos & Charlies!!! This is a fun place with a local flair. Prices are reasonable and people are friendly. It is more like a fun beach bar, like you'd find here in Fla. The beer of choice there is a local called Billikin. Not bad. I think 2 years ago it was 3 for $5.00 or so. It's just a neat place outside of the cruiseship controlled pier.

We will probably be eating at a restaraunt just outside of the pier also. Pretty place with outside dining and good food. There is another place for lunch I would like to check out though caled "The Smokey Mermaid". Cruise Critic says it is known for it's lobster. Yum-yum!!!!

Talk soon. See you there.:cool:

Jessemon,

Do you have an approximate time frame in mind?

Hey Southbound,

I figure the BW (beautiful wife) and I will end-up there around 2:00.We will be doing no shore excursions there. Thought of doing the Canopy Tour in Belize, but..."Botflies". Gives me the willies that a mosquito can bite you and leave a larva in there. Then it puts out a breather tube through your skin til it matures. Then comes out. YUK!!!:eek:

We'll probably go on shore around 11:00 and look through the shops. Then lunch and then "BILLIKINS" beers at that bar.:D

Jeff

JESSEMON, Sounds good to us. Checking out the shops is a perfect way to work off breakfast on board and make room for lunch. We'll most likely decide to give the lobster place a try. Then work that off walking to the Billiken's outlet (am assuming that will be more than a few steps away).

Terr, See posts #8, 10, 14 & 17 of this thread. Reference to "Billiken's outlet" was said tongue in cheek. (As Archie Bunker was known to say, "You only rent beer.") If Jessemon is unable to come up with the name of the place before we sail, we'll use his description (stilts/colors) to find the place.:D

Terr, See posts #8, 10, 14 & 17 of this thread. Reference to "Billiken's outlet" was said tongue in cheek. (As Archie Bunker was known to say, "You only rent beer.") If Jessemon is unable to come up with the name of the place before we sail, we'll use his description (stilts/colors) to find the place.:D

Southbound,

I like it.. Usually people don't pick-up on my sense of humor. Been checking on the name...no luck yet. But, the "Smokey Mermaid" seems to be the place that the "BW" and I had lunch the last time. I went on Google and entered "Smokey Mermaid". Try it. I saw a picture of the place we ate at the last time we were there.:eek: Also found a city map and guess what...right next to the dock. I got to start carrying a note book on the trips. I have CRS disease.

Can't remember...what was the "S" in CRS for?

I sent them an E-mail because from a few of the things in Google they serve lobster at night. I asked if it could be worked out for lunch. DCBCruiser..minor problem!!!

Jeff

PS: Seems like we are not the only ones that like food and brews.:D Welcome 2tsquared x 2.

Archived