Can you hear noise when the Anchor drops on the Jewel while stayin in cabin 1028 (JS)

pinkaboo

We'll be in cabin 1028 which is located quite forward on the ship. We've always stayed mid ship and have never had to endure the sound of the anchor. I've read on some ships, the anchor acts as an alarm clock for some. Has anyone stayed in this cabin on the Jewel or any of the Radiance class ships in cabin 1028 and heard the noise from the anchor? I hope we didn't make amistake by booking a cabin right over the anchor.

I don't think so, although I suppose it depends greatly on how heavy a sleeper you are. I was almost completely forward on deck 9 on Voyager, and I can't recall hearing any noise from the anchor at any point during our cruise. Or anything, for that matter. Getting back to what I said earlier, though, I would likely sleep through a grenade detonating in my bedroom.

Which sailing will you be on? I'll be staying in the portside twin of cabin 1028 (1528) on the Jewel very soon; if you sail after I do I'll be certain to let you know.

Looking at the deckplan, I wouldn't think you should have a problem. While your room is forward there are quite a few cabins ahead of you and I also believe that deck 10 is well above where the anchor is located.

It appears that you have a handicapped accessible JS so you should be in a nice roomy cabin in a good location close to the forward elevators. When are you sailing on the Jewel? We leave in a little more than a week.

On our last cruise, 12 days long, we only tendered once, therefore we only anchored once. You need to know what your ports are and whether or not you will be docking or tendering. I wouldn't give up a nice room because one morning I might hear the anchor going down for 10 minutes.

Even in tender ports, this class of ship rarely actually drops an anchor, I believe. They have a dynamic positioning system linked to GPS that keeps the ship in one place without dropping anchor. Could be why no one ever hears anything :D

Even in tender ports, this class of ship rarely actually drops an anchor, I believe. They have a dynamic positioning system linked to GPS that keeps the ship in one place without dropping anchor. Could be why no one ever hears anything :D

That's right, they don't use the anchor. At least the Voyager class ships with azapods don't. The current captain of the NOS told us exactly what you said during a bridge tour. No need to worry about rusty anchor noises.

Archived