peanut allergy

peanutgirl

My 8 year old daughter is severely allergic to peanuts. How is the kids club for hand washing and epi-pen holding? How are the take out meals/ buffets? I am not really worried about the dining room. Has anyone had the experience? We were on DCL last march and it was handled well. I hope Carnival is the same.

You might want to call, regardless of what info you get on this message board... this is a serious issue. It is my understanding that camp carnival counselors will not administer medications, you should check and see if that holds true for epi. If he has to wait to be taken to the doctor onboard, it may take too long... can he administer his own epi?? Just check and see how they handle this. For situations such as this, take the information on a message board with a grain of salt and call the special needs dept at Carnival.

You should notify Carnival's Special Needs department of the allergy. Camp Carnival does not hold any mediation including an Epi-Pen. My DS(6) has severe food allergies and has an Epi-Pen. When he is at Camp Carnival I have always been given a beeper; I carry the Epi-Pen and Benedryl (single dose) with me so that if I need to get to him, I have it with me and don't waste time having to go to the cabin for it. Camp Carnival has been good on our past cruises (2, 3rd is in 3 weeks), they had a game schedule one time that would have included peanut M&Ms, they cancelled it and played something else.

We've had great experiences in the dining room. At the lido buffets, we've always had him stick with foods we're sure of (hamburger/hot dog, carved meat section). We have dinner every night in the dining room though, so that he can have a little better selection (chefs have been great about making things special for him such as chicken nuggets from scratch, he's allergic to eggs, so usually can't have the kids menu ones).

You should get a note to meet with the maitre'd the day you board. He'll make sure that your waitstaff knows of the allergy and will probably see you each night at dinner.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. It is nice to hear someone else has had a good experience. How do i find the special needs phone number? Does everyone get a beeper at the kids club or just special kids?

PEANUTGIRL

The number's listed as 1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025. They generally give beepers to parents of younger kids (2-5) and ones that need meds or have other needs.

Archived