On Our Own In Naples

drdaddy

We need to choose between an organized tour or what we prefer to do is walk around town. Yes, even in Napoli.

What we want to do is get over to our favorite pizzeria in Naples, Da Michele, and then over to Via Toledo and stroll back to the ship. The toughest thing is getting from the ship to the restaurant. It is a short cab ride and it is tough finding one who will do it. Does anyone know how to use PUBLIC transport from the port, east on Corso Umberto I? It IS near the Garibaldi station but last year we got lost leaving the station and ended up in a pretty dicey area. Never did get to the pizza place.

Then from Da Michele to the north end of Via Toledo. Can anyone suggest where to start on Toledo to see most of the shopping?

Thanks

Okay, let's try this step by step.

From the cruise port cross Via Cristoforo Colombo and continue to walk along the northeast side of Piazza Municipio (the right hand side as you face the Piazza with your back to the cruise port) for two blocks to Via Medina.

Turn right onto Via Medina. If you are taking the metro the entrance to the station is right here on the corner. You can purchase tickets inside the metro station.

If you want to take the bus continue walking north along Via Medina to the other side of the fountain where you'll find the bus stop. Just before the fountain on the right is a newsstand where you can purchase your tickets.

At the bus stop take either the #202 or the R2, whichever arrives first. I think you want the fourth stop but I won't swear to that. You will go around two traffic circles (Bovio, where the Universita metro stop is, and Amore, where the Duomo metro station will be eventually).

The stop you want is the first one after the second traffic circle, called "Colletta". It's near the corner of Vico Campagnari.

Exit the bus and walk along Corso Umberto in the direction the bus is traveling for a few steps. After you cross Vico Campagnari you should see a crosswalk to help you get across Corso Umberto.

Turn right and continue walking up Corso Umberto to the corner, which is Via Pietro Colletta. Turn left and walk down Pietro Colletta until it forks, bear left at the fork and Da Michele will be on your left.

This map of Naples main bus, tram, metro, and funicolare routes may help orient you: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/Napoli2016.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Euro, that is the kind of stuff I am looking for! I did see on the map the 202 goes up Umberto. The problem is the streets look different on the ground than on a map! :D

OK. At Da Michele. Now, how to get to Via Toledo? Take subway to MUSEO? Is there a bus that would get me there? I figure to start out walk back from the North end and head towards the port :rolleyes:

Thanks

Actually, my advice would be the same no matter how far up Via Toledo you want to go, so here it is.

The easiest thing to do is take the metro. You can walk four-tenths of a mile to Garibaldi and get it there, accepting the confusion of the area, or you can walk a little further (six-tenths of a mile) in the opposite direction and get the metro at Universita (look longingly at the ongoing works to create the Duomo metro stop at Piazza Amore as you walk by).

Stay on the metro to Toledo, Dante, or Museo depending on how far up Via Toledo you want to be.

Edited by euro cruiser

Exactly my thoughts. I just didn't know if it was feasible. Is there much shopping as far up as the museum? But this sounds like the plan.

Is there a good place along Toledo for Olive oil to bring home? We live near Port Everglades so extra shopping bags is no problem :)

Thanks!