Sailing with a 10yo boy with ADHD/ASD

Megali

I've searched back on several threads in the Family Cruise section and NCL section about cruising with a child with autism. We will sail on the Escape this December on our sons' (who will then be 7 and 10) first cruise! They are very well traveled by plane, train, and automobile, but no boat bigger than my parents' pontoon boat.

We don't need to take advantage of any priority embarkation, private muster, or any similar accommodations, but I do have questions about Splash Academy. My older son is high functioning. His autism "tells" are that he doesn't always get social cues and conventions, he is hyper focused on dinosaurs and will talk about them all day if given the opportunity, and that he needs some extra verbal warning when transitioning from one activity to another. As an example, our community center style gym offers a parents night out during which children can play, take part in crafts, and go swimming, all while we go on a date. There was a time he was one of the last kids out of the pool because he says he didn't hear the five minute warning. We think he knew full well it was time to get out, but that he didn't want to leave the fun activity for playing basketball in the gym, which he doesn't enjoy. He also has ADHD and this manifests in some impulsive behaviors, like calling out in class, but more in a constant need to be keeping his mind going, be it reading or playing.

My questions about Splash Academy are as follows:

- How far in advance should I contact the cruise line to notify the access/assistance coordinator?

- If you have a child with ADHD and/or ASD, how did they enjoy Splash Academy?

- Is there any concern about bullying? He has a great group of friends and his school is fantastic, but there have been occasions where kids in new situations don't "get" him.

Hi there,,,

My daughter is 13 now .... We sailed first time with NCL back on 2012 she was 9.... Autistic and not high functioning .... I had the best cruise ever on the Spirit.

But here are some variables .... The crew... It varies .... Although I am not complaining .... The following year was not the same on the Star.

My sailings were over 15 days on transatlantics so less children

What did not change was the babysiting individually in the evenings .... The counselors had my child in heaven when I picked her up late.

Make sure you send all your boy's details to the Special services as soon as possible .

Good luck

Aj

Thanks for sharing your experience Aj! You bring up an important thing to remember - so much depends on the crew that you get. Sometimes personalities can clash or you might get a group that is just not that into it. We've dealt with that with babysitters.

I can just do the best I can to prepare and hope for the right crew for my kids. If they aren't comfortable, I certainly won't force them to go.

My son is add and odd he had one incident at splash where he claims another child threw something at him and so he pushed the other child. We were called to come get him. It was all ready 9:30 so we were planning on getting him soon anyway. We spoke to the counselor and him and everything was fine and back to normal the next day. He enjoyed the cruise but didn't want to spend all day at splash. We had fun on the ropes course, arcade, water slide and spider slide. We all packed our portable DVD player f down time in the cab. As with every day play it by ear and plan ahead as much as possible. I can tell you my Son asks to go back all the time :)

My middle son has ADHD. We've cruised on NCL twice and had positive experiences with Splash Academy. Both times, I didn't notify them in advance. Upon registering DS into SA, I mentioned his special needs (very minor). His ADHD is managed with medication but new environments can easily trigger odd behavior. I was given a pager on the Breakaway in case they needed to find me. Luckily, my oldest son was in the same group with him so no issues occurred. We are cruising again in July and this time they won't be in the same grouping. I have a feeling he won't want to go to SA.

Overall, my boys like Splash Academy but didn't beg to go. We left it up to them. We purposely book a room on the 12 Floor to be close to SA. Oh well!

Edited by BoyMommax3

My daughter has autism and is high functioning. As you already know, the autism spectrum is extremely broad. We cruised NCL and I can't stress enough to notify special needs department regarding your child. Norwegian was wonderful in trying to make my child as comfortable as possible. Your child sounds like he will not have a hard time at all. They will repeat instructions. All kids, with a diagnosis or not, need things repeated. I hope your cruise experience is a fun one for you and your family.

We travel a lot... People have a tendency to stare.... Some like to be polite and approach us,,, others look in the distance....

I created a little brochure about my child with details of her different abilities .... It has work wonders so I give it to the counselors to share with the parents of other children .... So much comes out of knowing what her exact condition is .... People fear the unkown ....

Again.... Do what you can... But put your efforts in enyoing the journey... The world is filled with all kinds... And lucky are the ones who get to share the blessings of our children.

Good luck

Aj