Cruise deposit charge

cruzin Phillis

How many people here actually use debit cards, and run right to the internet to check the balance? I use debit cards sometimes, and have had this done to mine, but rarely notice cause I only review my monthly statements and those only show posted charges.

I booked my cruise in the wee hours of this morning. When I check my account, carnival charged my card 287 instead 250. I called and the representative says that they only charged the 250. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Hopefully the extra 37.00 charge will roll off when the payment hard post to my account.

That has never happened to me.

I booked my cruise in the wee hours of this morning. When I check my account, carnival charged my card 287 instead 250. I called and the representative says that they only charged the 250. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. Hopefully the extra 37.00 charge will roll off when the payment hard post to my account.

What does your Booking Confirmation (that they should have e-mailed you) show? If not on there, call your bank (or check your on-line Bank Statement) for an explanation. I doubt the claim that this is a Debit Card charge.

Give us some feedback?

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Why would you post on a message board and not just call your bank and question the charge? Seems the most reasonable thing to do.

Oh, and never heard of a bank charging a percentage for using a debut card. If you are talking about a hold being placed on an account then that would create two different charges, not one larger one. And if I make a big charge on a debit card I usually do go online and check it. Just being a smart consumer.

t's like if you paid for a hotel with a debit card, and the hotel bill was $300, you would see a charge for $330 or something. It's to cover incidentals or items that may exceed the amount the company is requesting. Because its not a credit card, it doesn't allow overdrafting.

Same thing when you buy gas at a gas station, you may get a $50 charge when you only put $20 in gas. You need to wait for payment to post to get the amount refunded.

Never heard of this. I just paid for my hotel today for my next cruise and only paid hotel charge plus tax. Nothing else.

How many people here actually use debit cards, and run right to the internet to check the balance? I use debit cards sometimes, and have had this done to mine, but rarely notice cause I only review my monthly statements and those only show posted charges.

Some of us have debit cards that send a text with every purchase.

If I use my debit card to get gas, I get a fifty dollar hold even though I only got twenty dollars worth of gas.

I get a text that says fifty dollars, but then a couple of days later when the gas station puts the actual charge thru, the fifty falls off and the actual charge is really charged.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well is OP going to post a response on what the bank said so everyone here can sleep at night? :D:D

It doesn't matter if Your bank or card does that to you or not. The point is that some banks do, and some don't. They may do it if your account is too new, or if your debit card is a debit gift card or those direct deposit rip-off Walmart cards that are sold by the registers.

And by this time, the $250 should have already posted, and there will be no trace on OP's account indicating an extra $37 was even held.

I use my debit card 6-8 times a day, and am never charged more then the amount. It would be illegal for a bank to pay out any amount it felt like.

Does it matter? You owe more than $250 for the cruise.

Of course it matters. Why should they just let it go that more was charged than it was supposed to be? What doesn't matter is what the cruise cost in total. They opted to book it with the deposit only. Don't be ridiculous. Do you allow erroneous charges on your credit card for sport? Most people don't.:rolleyes:

$37 wouldn't have covered insurance I don't think, or tips either.