Rum Point- gotta do it!

TMannEsq

I was one of 6 at Grand Cayman last week (week of 10/3) on the Valor. We had seen CC posts about Rum Point and Cico Avis, and decided to get away from the crowd (not bad at port, given that there were only 3 ships there) and try Rum Point. Well worth it.

I booked an Expedition through Cico Avis' website, and got an immediate confirmation. Cost was $120.00 for the day, including fuel, temp. driver license, etc. Shuttle picked us at the Blue Iguana (about a 3 min. walk from the tender dock). About a 7-10 minute ride from the Blue Iguana to the Avis place at the airport. Picked up the car at Avis, with a GREAT detailed map from them, and we were on our way. The drive took about 35 minutes from Avis to Rum Point, and that was with passing a few slow drivers.

Rum Point is a gorgeous place. I hope that it stays off the beaten path. There are numerous chairs, hammocks, etc. right there for free, and waverunners, etc. for rent through Red Sail. There is a great bar and restaurant right there. You simply put on your snorkel gear and you're in the water within 15 feet.

I had read some CC posts to the effect that the snorkeling was not so great at Rum Point. BS! It was fantastic: lots of great coral, all sorts of fish of many colors and sizes, several lobsters, lots of conch, etc. I could go on and on. Best snorkeling was between the pier and the condos on the point which are still destroyed from the hurricane last year. I simply cannot say enough about Rum Point: I hope to return there for a full vacation getting a villa and bringing the kids. If you want to get away from the cruise crowds, this is place where you can do it.

One final note: upon returning to the tender dock, after shopping, my wife discovered to my horror that she'd left our passports, her S&S card, and about $200.00 cash in the rental car. After freaking, I called Avis and they had the stuff back to me in 10 minutes. Cico Avis will always get my business.

Couldn't agree with you more! We loved it there last week. What day were you there? Maybe we were there with you. We had the best time there and I totally agree with you about the snorkeling. It was awesome. I did most of mine right under the pier, I saw barracuda, a huge school of trumpet fish, angels, tangs, a parrot fish, wrasse, etc. etc. etc. I could NOT get out of the water. I was completely water logged when I got out...lol.

We are looking at doing the villa thing next year also. I've been checking prices already online. Not too bad especially if you can split the cost with antoher family.

Rum Point was definitely the hightlight of our cruise. Did you try the food? We thought is was fantastic.

We had a very short day in Grand Cayman, 8-3 and we still had enough time to get to R.P and back and do some shopping. Loved it.

We were also there on Thursday! We were over towards where those big water bikes were stored...if you were facing the ocean, we were to the far left.

I can't wait to go back there. It looked like they were still recovering from Ivan from last year, they do NOT need another one to hit anytime soon, that's for sure.

As you faced the ocean, we were as far to the right as you could go, just before the condos at the end of the point that were still wrecked from the hurricane. We parked over by where you all were- we had the only Ford Expedition in the area (for 6 of us). Did you eat right there? We had lunch and the food rocked, as did the Havana Club and Coke.

We originally had a Jeep rented, but then we met 2 other couples and invited them along so we got a Taurus. Honestly, it was too small but we really liked each other (lol) so it wasn't a problem. The cost was like $60 versus $120 for the Expedition. We drive an Expedition at home so we should have just done that. Oh well..wasn't a biggie.

The food was amazing. I can honestly say it was the best food of the entire cruise. I'm not kidding. I love spicy and their jerk chicken was soooo yummy. The corn, coleslaw and rice and beans were great too. The best by far were the french fries. My b/f got the Mahi wrap and he said it was also the best food he had all week. He's the one that got some fries so I had to test them out for him to make sure they were 'ok'. :)

Some are saying the food is too expensive but I don't think it was at all. Not for the amount and how good it was. Maybe I was just so hungry after all the snorkeling but I'm telling you...it was YUMMY. You already know that though. Plus, the beach and hammocks, showers and everything else was free.

Did you see those cool long necked birds up in the trees? They looked like mini prehistoric birds, they were cool. The guy in the bar was cool also. The guy running the watersports place (Red Sail) was kind of rude to the guys in our group but he was nice to me and another female friend.

My parents have rented houses on the north side (about 4 miles from Run Point) and they told me it's the best they have ever done. They've gone about 6 times now.

I seriously think next vacation will have to be just a trip to Cayman/Rum Point. If I didn't have any kids, I would seriously consider moving there, that's how much I liked it.

We originally had a Jeep rented, but then we met 2 other couples and invited them along so we got a Taurus. Honestly, it was too small but we really liked each other (lol) so it wasn't a problem. The cost was like $60 versus $120 for the Expedition. We drive an Expedition at home so we should have just done that. Oh well..wasn't a biggie.

The food was amazing. I can honestly say it was the best food of the entire cruise. I'm not kidding. I love spicy and their jerk chicken was soooo yummy. The corn, coleslaw and rice and beans were great too. The best by far were the french fries. My b/f got the Mahi wrap and he said it was also the best food he had all week. He's the one that got some fries so I had to test them out for him to make sure they were 'ok'. :)

Some are saying the food is too expensive but I don't think it was at all. Not for the amount and how good it was. Maybe I was just so hungry after all the snorkeling but I'm telling you...it was YUMMY. You already know that though. Plus, the beach and hammocks, showers and everything else was free.

Did you see those cool long necked birds up in the trees? They looked like mini prehistoric birds, they were cool. The guy in the bar was cool also. The guy running the watersports place (Red Sail) was kind of rude to the guys in our group but he was nice to me and another female friend.

My parents have rented houses on the north side (about 4 miles from Run Point) and they told me it's the best they have ever done. They've gone about 6 times now.

I seriously think next vacation will have to be just a trip to Cayman/Rum Point. If I didn't have any kids, I would seriously consider moving there, that's how much I liked it.

Oh Ima..., we should be really good friends! You sound just like I did when I got back from Rum Point!! That's why I started the other thread, but now my husband is mad at me because I've gotten so many requests for info and pics, he's afraid everyone is going to find out about it. We decided in that one day that we were going to retire there. No kidding! We are both in our mid 40's, and Rum Point is definitely in our long range plans now. We do have young kids too, and let me tell you, I did more than one internet search on how good the schools were in GC! We've actually been looking on line for some real estate as we are thinking we could buy now, rent it out, and then have it for retirement.

We are planning on going back for a full week vacation, we'll stay at RP, but explore the rest of the island too. But, definitely want to be based there. If you do a internet search for vacation homes for rent, there are some pretty reasonable deals.

Did you get to starfish beach?

I also laughed at your comment regarding the meal, I totally agree!!! I had the same chicken sandwich, and it WAS the best meal I had all week! I still crave that sandwich!

Let me know when you are heading back to RP, maybe we'll start a group and try to get some group prices!! I am opening my own pastry shop this Friday, so a vacation is not in the short term plan right now, but I hope to get back there in the next year.

Glad you had such an awesome time!

Michelle

Archived