La Cabana Del Pescador (Lobster House) review

TMannEsq

I was one of a party of 6 in Cozumel on the Valor during the week of 10/3. I had heard lots of good things about this place, so we decided to try it, since the ship was in port until 11:00 p.m. They do not take reservations, and they had a phone number, but no one answered it during the day. I am pretty sure they take credit cards, but cash is obviously preferred. It took us about 15 minutes by taxi van to get there.

The meal I had at this restaurant was one of the best I've ever had, and I will remember it forever. When we arrived, we were the only people in the place (a few more trickled in and out while we were there). We felt as if we'd been invited to someone's house. The atmosphere was wonderful, as the whole place was candlelit with fans going. The staff showed us around, took us out to see the iguanas in the tree out front, and took us next door to the owner's brother's restaurant, which serves a broader seafood menu.

You pick your lobster tail from a number of them sitting in a bowl (ranging from a pound to several pounds). They cook it up in seasoned water, and serve it to you with bread, rice, and veggies. The only appetizer was conch chowder, which also was amazing. They had a bar, but we were tired and ordered sodas. Put simply, the lobster was among the best I'd ever eaten. Afterward, they gave us a complimentary shot of liqueur. We did not want to leave.

If anyone has the opportunity to eat at this place, take it. It is well worth the cost (you pay by the pound). If you like lobster, you'll LOVE La Cabana Del Pescador.

I was one of a party of 6 in Cozumel on the Valor during the week of 10/3. I had heard lots of good things about this place, so we decided to try it, since the ship was in port until 11:00 p.m. They do not take reservations, and they had a phone number, but no one answered it during the day. I am pretty sure they take credit cards, but cash is obviously preferred. It took us about 15 minutes by taxi van to get there.

The meal I had at this restaurant was one of the best I've ever had, and I will remember it forever. When we arrived, we were the only people in the place (a few more trickled in and out while we were there). We felt as if we'd been invited to someone's house. The atmosphere was wonderful, as the whole place was candlelit with fans going. The staff showed us around, took us out to see the iguanas in the tree out front, and took us next door to the owner's brother's restaurant, which serves a broader seafood menu.

You pick your lobster tail from a number of them sitting in a bowl (ranging from a pound to several pounds). They cook it up in seasoned water, and serve it to you with bread, rice, and veggies. The only appetizer was conch chowder, which also was amazing. They had a bar, but we were tired and ordered sodas. Put simply, the lobster was among the best I'd ever eaten. Afterward, they gave us a complimentary shot of liqueur. We did not want to leave.

If anyone has the opportunity to eat at this place, take it. It is well worth the cost (you pay by the pound). If you like lobster, you'll LOVE La Cabana Del Pescador.

This sounds wonderful. I love lobster and our ship will be late in port. I also speak Spanish (I'm Puerto Rican) so do I just tell the cab driver the name of the restaurant and they will know? TIA

If I recall correctly, it was about $18-22/lb. in that range. Yes, its expensive, but you're on vacation, and besides, it is absolutely the best you'll ever have. The atmosphere of the place alone is well worth it.

It is getting more expensive as I type. The hurricane weather and warnings cause port closings to small craft several days before and after these pass the island. That means the local commercail fishermen are not allowed to go to work. That causes the local restaurants to increase the price of fish and lobster, but most especially lobster. The Lobsteria Restaurant had a long running lunch special that has now been canecled. We could get lobster for lunch at $75 pesos. They are now $120 for a smaller protion.

UGH!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have gone by there every day for the past 2 weeks. The structure did not make it...the palapa roof caved in, the trees fell over. I have not seen anyone cleaning up either building. And I have not seen or heard from Fernando Sr. or Jr.

Archived