Liberty of the Seas -- bunch of questions for April 3rd cruise.

cuti

Liberty of the Seas -- headed onboard April 3rd. We've not been in freedom class (but have been on oasis class and voyager class). It leaves out of Galvaston, TX as opposed to Florida or PR where we've left from before.

So tell me.... What do we need to know? Boarding time - 11 still? What's great about the ship? What do you like to do in Faulmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel? It's me, my husband and twin 14 year old girls.

And are any of you runners? I love oasis class for the awesome track, but for my runs, is my best option gonna be the treadmill? What's the gym like? I'd love to run in ports, but not sure if I'd feel safe solo running around.

Anyway, look forward to your thoughts on all or any of the above.

In Grand Cayman you need to do the Stingray City Excursion. We did the ships excursion, as it is a tender port. There is also a ton of Stingray City Excursions available on the dock. Your girls would love it.

The gym is amazing. It opens at 6am....so if you are an early riser...go then!!! They pretty much have all the equipment a regular gym has.

I'm not usually an early riser but I may be on the cruise. Depends how late I stay out. I want to get 4-5 good runs in. And maybe some lifting too. So I'll keep early in mind.

In Grand Cayman you need to do the Stingray City Excursion. We did the ships excursion, as it is a tender port. There is also a ton of Stingray City Excursions available on the dock. Your girls would love it.

Sounds terrific.

If you want to do something local in Falmouth, if you and your girls enjoy the unusual, you might consider a tour of the Rose Hall Great House. (Do a little research ahead of time - google Rose Hall or Annie Palmer, read about the legendary ghost story, and listen to the Johnny Cash song The Ballad of Annie Palmer.;)) Rose Hall plantation is close to the port area, so it won't take all day. You can book a tour or just get a cab from the port area to take you to the great house.

Annie Palmer (aka the White Witch of Rose Hall) was an expert in Voo Doo and allegedly killed 3 husbands and several slave lovers. Then she used Voo Doo on the beloved granddaughter of her overseer, and he killed her. She is buried on the grounds and her ghost supposedly haunts the plantation at night. The great house tour is fun and the legend and ghost story is told as you tour the house by staff who wear period costumes. I think the last tour daily is at 3:00. (Our tour guide told us this is so none of the staff have to stay after dark and risk running into Annie.:eek:)

Judy

For Cozumel, may I suggest "Paradise Beach"? It is amazing and your family will have tons of fun. I have suggested this place numerous times and your girls will love it.

Google their website and see all of the activities they have. The pool on the beach is awesome.

To get there, at the end of the port you will see many signs for cabs and shuttles. They are "fixed" prices, so you can not be ripped off.

When you are ready to come back to the port there are tons of cabs and shuttles to take everyone back. Leave an hour before you are due back on the ship even though it is only a 10 minute ride. You may want to pick up a souvenir at one of their many shops on the pier.

In Grand Cayman, I second the Stingray City suggestion. Many excursions will pair this with a snorkeling stop...the snorkeling in Grand Cayman is great too!

In Cozumel, we often hire a driver for the day, go all over the island. We like to stop for lunch at a local place, not touristy. There are lots of great places to stop and see!

In Falmouth, we once did a combo tour that included ziplining and floating on the river. Also had a great lunch provided. Your girls might really like that one.

If you are arriving a day or two ahead of time in Galveston, there are some great places to eat. Also, the Strand and Pleasure Pier are fun places to wander around.

Whatever you do, have a great time!

If you want to do something local in Falmouth, if you and your girls enjoy the unusual, you might consider a tour of the Rose Hall Great House. (Do a little research ahead of time - google Rose Hall or Annie Palmer, read about the legendary ghost story, and listen to the Johnny Cash song The Ballad of Annie Palmer.;)) Rose Hall plantation is close to the port area, so it won't take all day. You can book a tour or just get a cab from the port area to take you to the great house.

Annie Palmer (aka the White Witch of Rose Hall) was an expert in Voo Doo and allegedly killed 3 husbands and several slave lovers. Then she used Voo Doo on the beloved granddaughter of her overseer, and he killed her. She is buried on the grounds and her ghost supposedly haunts the plantation at night. The great house tour is fun and the legend and ghost story is told as you tour the house by staff who wear period costumes. I think the last tour daily is at 3:00. (Our tour guide told us this is so none of the staff have to stay after dark and risk running into Annie.:eek:)

Judy

3rd vote for Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman! I have used Native Way Watersports once before and are booked with them for our May Liberty cruise.

We have booked Dunns River Falls through the ship for Falmouth. We have never been so think we should go at least once.

Cozumel, we are thinking of a beach day at Paradise Beach.

Our May cruise will be our first time on a Freedom-class ship too. We are really looking forward to their new slides. I did go on the same itinerary with my DH on the Navigator and had a great time!

I have enjoyed taking a private tour with Peat Taylor, and loved climbing the Dunns Falls, have done the blue hole too. Check out his website http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com.

Payment is done after the tour, and he is very reliable and professional.

My teen loved the dolphin Royal swim at Chankanaab Park, and you can book the dolphin tours with http://www.dolphindiscovery.com. Their prices includes park entrance, buffet, non alcoholic drinks.

We have done the stingray tour in Cayman, and also love the 7 mile beach. We took a $2/trip on their bus (which is actually a mini van), from the port and get off at the public beach access at Westin. The buses are so easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for Stingray City!! It really is a "must do" IMO. We did it through the ship also only because it worked better for us for the times we needed. It was a great tour and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. We had missed GC on several previous cruises and finally made it there last October. Being with the Rays was worth the wait!

Psssst....don't tell anyone..head to the park cafe for embark lunch ( it really doesnt get "discovered " until later that day....Windjammer WILL be nuts !

I think you mean Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's on Liberty.

In Cozumel we did Mr Sanchos. It is all inclusive great beach, pool, etc...

Grand Cayman Sting Ray City. We did the one with the catamaran. It was fabulous.

In Jamaica we have stayed in port & shopped. But last year we did the Good Hope Plantation tour & lunch. It was beautiful & very interesting.

Cayman...Stingray city is a MUST.

Coz...Mr Sanchos, Nachi or Paradise

Jamaica...we did the ships excursion Chairlift, bobsled and zipline combo and loved it.

Please make sure to get Tidal Wave up and running while you are on the ship. ;)