Whale Watching in Juneau

tsteger

My husband and I are sailing at the end of May. We'd like to do a Whale Watching tour and hike Mendenhall. We will be in Juneau 5/25, a Wednesday 12:30pm - 10:15pm.

I'm thinking of doing Mendenhall first, as I am assuming they aren't going to be open late. Then doing a Whale Watch that leaves late afternoon.

We'd like to book privately, not through the ship. I'm looking at Harv and Marv and M&M Tours. Anyone taken these? Any tips or recommendations. I'm also open to other suggestions! Thanks in advance!

My husband and I are sailing at the end of May. We'd like to do a Whale Watching tour and hike Mendenhall. We will be in Juneau 5/25, a Wednesday 12:30pm - 10:15pm.

I'm thinking of doing Mendenhall first, as I am assuming they aren't going to be open late. Then doing a Whale Watch that leaves late afternoon.

We'd like to book privately, not through the ship. I'm looking at Harv and Marv and M&M Tours. Anyone taken these? Any tips or recommendations. I'm also open to other suggestions! Thanks in advance!

We went with Harv & Marv last July. Great experience! My husband and I were lucky to be with just one other guest and Captain Liz on a 6-passenger boat so we had plenty of space to move around. Liz was very knowledgeable and we saw at least 10 humpbacks on our tour including lots of breaching. It was amazing.

Our ship arrived in Juneau at 6:00am so we did H&M's first boat tour of the day. They dropped us at Mendenhall afterward and we caught a blue bus back to town. H&M stays at Mendenhall just long enough for a photo stop before returning to Juneau and we wanted more time there.

We had a similar experience to Lucky CAl. We too went with Harv & Marv and Captain Liz was at the helm. We found her to be very informative and passionate about her work. There was only one other couple on the boat with us so there was plenty of room to roam, as well as, have one on one conversations with Captain Liz.

On our next trip to Alaska we wouldn't hesitate in taking the same trip.

I too have had great experiences with Harv and Marvs. If you go to Mendenhall first, check about them picking you up there on the way to whale watching. If you do whale watching first, you would still get to Mendenhall in time to have at least an hour at Mendenhall before the last shuttle returns to town.

Another option is to rent a car for the day. Then you can visit Mendenhall when you get off the ship, drive to the whale watching in late afternoon then after whale watching drive out the road past Auke Bay (where the whale watching departs from) for the St. Therese church and more.