Funny stuff

Funnystuff

Compared to which others?

The most similar fleet is Princess, some of the basic ship designs are identical (Princess is a subsidiary of P&O, both are part of the Carnival empire) but P&O is less "glitzy", with more subdued decoration, less in-your-face service, and a very "British" atmosphere.

Many similarities to Thomson, but P&O's fleet is modern & built for P&O as opposed to Thomson's hand-me-downs.

P&O's three large ships have excellent kids' facilities, 3 of the smaller ones are adults-only.

Do you have a particular ship / cruise in mind?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you JB We have booked a 7 night cruise on the P&O Jewel for May

Ahhh.

I'd presumed you were from Newcastle in Geordie-land. ;)

But the penny's dropped - you're north of Sydney in the land down-under :)

And Jewel is the Pacific Jewel, which many folk will remember as Crown Princess in the 1990's.

I sailed her a couple of times in the Caribbean when she was P&O UK's Ocean Village 11.

Happy memories of barbies on the stern deck & trapeze artistes on the main pool deck. No serviced dining, everything was buffet style but the buffets were the best I've come across.

The deck barbies are gone now, and she reverted to having a serviced dining option when she shipped out to Aus. - which surprised me cos I'd have thought that laid-back & informal was ideal for the Aussie market.

But I expect the cabins are broadly as they were - they're amongst the biggest & best-planned cabins on the ocean. But "balcony" cabins were "hull balconies" ie a hole cut in the hull as an after-thought - check out photos.

Around 2000 passengers, my size of ship - not a mega-monster & not a tiddler.

If you book, I think you'll enjoy

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

What are the P&O cruise ships like compare to others?

If sailing in/from OZ - DONT do P&O - its not the same as in England. Food is 3rd rate - you even have to pay for icecream at dinner in the restaurant.

Roast of the day is meatloaf - and then - remember Diane Brimble - its a drinking crowd and all that that implies.

I realise they are a bit cheaper ... but please pay the extra for Princess - if you are over 50 - pay even a little more and go Holland America - it is well worth it.