‘But Who’s Running Canada?!’ - Freedom of the Seas March 13 2016 Review

I'm going to go ahead and answer this one because it's a sore point for me.

When I go on vacation, I want to relax. I don't want to lug a separate suitcase with uncomfortable shoes and gowns and tiaras and corsets, nor do I want to ever blow dry my hair or apply mascara when I'm sunburned and, let's face it, a little bit tipsy.

THIS IS NOT HOW EVERYONE LIKES TO CRUISE. And that's ok. Because it's a big world and we should all love each other.

There are many people who very much enjoy getting dressed up and having pictures taken that they can hang above their fireplaces and bearskin rugs, and that is terrific. I don't feel that being comfortable (clean, naughty parts covered adequately, hair brushed) is such a bad thing, but there are some who are sticklers for the formal nights. This ends up driving people away from the MDR and into sordid spots like Sorrento's, which shouldn't have to happen. I noticed a BIG difference between the Disney ship and RCI in regards to formal nights; on the Magic it was pretty standard to see full-on evening gowns, whereas on Freedom I saw more dress/skirt type looks instead. There were still a few very over-the-top outfits and I love that, I've been known to do a little cosplay in my time and that's cool. As long as sitting beside me in capris and a nice top doesn't make you lose your mind. Which it did NOT, at least not to my face. I had one nice-ish dress that I wore one night to Giovanni's, otherwise I wore slacks/capris. And I did not feel out of place at all. Which is awesome, right?!

You'll find a very nice, welcoming group on Freedom, both among cruisers and staff; no one is going to give you any guff over not having a suit.

You're on vacation - be comfortable and don't sweat the small stuff! LOL! I'm sure that a small minority of old time cruisers probably "pooh-poohed" the thought of you not getting dressed up - but who cares - they didn't pay for your cruise! I'm going on my first cruise in October (can it get here already???) and my wife and I MAY dress up a little on both nights - but it'll be easier for us since we are driving to the port. She can overpack to ALMOST her heart's content.

I'm loving your review and I'm glad that fellow Kansas Citians were great dinner companions. Can't wait for the further installments! Thanks for writing such a great review! :)

Waiting with bated breath for the next installment. You make it sound really relaxed which is great because, TBH I'm stressing about the whole thing. Hubby's paid for it but it's all down to me if it goes sour. I'm waiting to hear about the formal nights? Are they as formal as they sound and does husband (John) need a suit because he doesn't own one. Eek!

FWIW, I've been on 3 cruises and my son has never worn a suit - he doesn't own one either! And he's never been out of place. Always a dress shirt, tie and a pair of slacks purchased at either Walmart or Burlington Coat Factory :p (he's a teenager. He'll only be able to wear it for a year anyway).

On our 2nd cruise we were at a table for 9. My family of 5 was dressed to the nines for the 1st formal night (I wore a gown, mom and sis wore nice cocktail dresses, dad wore a suit). One couple had on what I would call 'church attire' and one couple looked like they came from the beach. WE HAD A BALL! We still remember them fondly to this day. I hope that you will encounter people who are just as open. I truly believe that the 'fashion police' are really more visible here on CC than on board.

but it'll be easier for us since we are driving to the port. She can overpack to ALMOST her heart's content.

Ah the beauty of driving to the port. I was able to do that for my first 2 cruises. On my 2nd cruise my sister and I EACH had one suitcase of just shoes!!!! :p

I truly believe that the 'fashion police' are really more visible here on CC than on board.

Depends. On our last cruise (with Carnival, not RCCL, but still) we saw multiple people turned away from the MDR on non formal nights because of shorts and on one of the formal nights saw 1 guy turned away in "nice" jeans and a "nice" t shirt.

Personally, I don't care. My wife likes us to get dressed up, so she'll wear a dress and I a suit. I couldn't care less what other people look like. I do think it's nice to see people all dressed up looking fancy, but if they aren't it's not going to effect MY time one way or the other.

Depends. On our last cruise (with Carnival, not RCCL, but still) we saw multiple people turned away from the MDR on non formal nights because of shorts and on one of the formal nights saw 1 guy turned away in "nice" jeans and a "nice" t shirt.

Personally, I don't care. My wife likes us to get dressed up, so she'll wear a dress and I a suit. I couldn't care less what other people look like. I do think it's nice to see people all dressed up looking fancy, but if they aren't it's not going to effect MY time one way or the other.

Hubby got turned away at dinng room when he was wearing nice dress shorts (golf shorts) on formal night. He went to room and put slacks on. (Should have listened to me to start with :-)). He was wearing a short sleeve button up shirt which was fine.

The first cruise my husband went on with me I insisted he wear a suit for formal night. The next one was just after the country music awards and George Straight won. He was wearing a suit jacket and pressed jeans..... Since then my husband's saying is if pressed jeans and jacket are good enough for George Straight, they are good enough for me....lol

Loving this review so far! I just had a quick question about the Starbucks they offer on board. I knew that they Brewed Starbucks coffee, but what else did they offer? I love my Starbucks and thinking about getting the package that includes it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Loving this review so far! I just had a quick question about the Starbucks they offer on board. I knew that they Brewed Starbucks coffee, but what else did they offer? I love my Starbucks and thinking about getting the package that includes it!

Welcome to Cruise Criritc.

The Cafe Promenade venue has used Starbucks coffee beans in the past to make items like cappuncino, espresso, latte, etc. However, I've seen some ships moving to a different brand of beans. You might want to check onboard before you buy the package to confirm what kind of beans they will be using for your cruise.

They had a pared-down regular Starbucks menu - I'll have to check and see if the pic I took shows the offerings. Basically they have the 'usuals' like Chai or Green Tea, Caramel Macchiato, Frappuchinos, etc. but they just have the three flavors (chocolate, caramel, vanilla). No special seasonal stuff.

And we're back! I hope everyone had a nice Easter if you celebrated. Phew, it's tough work being the bunny. We very much keep magic alive in this household, so there were eggs to fill and hide, a big meal to prepare, and since my brother is visiting, lots of video games to play.

Just how much of a big kid am I? Well, on Day 2, our Sea Day, I woke up at 4:50am and was too excited to fall back asleep. While waiting for Jelly to wake up I sat out on the balcony and listened to the Titanic soundtrack like a big cheeseball, and eventually watched the sun rise. Once Jelly was up we went down to grab a Starbucks and a couple of donuts (meh), then a little while after that headed to the Windjammer.

I’d heard a ton of horror stories about the Windjammer – the food, the crowds, the lack of tables. Luckily we were only two people, so throughout the week we always found a place to sit, often by a window, and with all the spread-out stations I found we were able to maneuver fairly easily through the crowds. The food was your usual breakfast buffet fare; one morning they had REALLY good pancakes and I had those with some sliced ham and enjoyed that quite a bit. Jelly was happy they had grits and had those every morning. A note on the eggs – I learned from the galley tour that they are NOT powdered, but frozen liquid eggs. So there you go. But they did have ready-made omelettes every day, and eggs either made to order or over-easy ready to grab, so one morning we did breakfast sandwiches with those.

Jelly spent some quality time in Adventure Ocean the first day, both in the morning and in the afternoon. I hit the pool area at 9a and encountered that age-old issue of people reserving chairs. While the ‘rules’ clearly say that you’re not supposed to do this, and that towels will be removed, I did not see it enforced. Since you have to show your SeaPass card to get a towel, I’m not really sure how they could. Anyhow, I saw several people holding 4-6 seats extra empty seats for family members that did not appear until a full 2 hours later, which I did not think was cool.

For lunch we went to Johnny Rockets; we were there right when it opened at 11:30a and it filled up FAST so I’m glad we did. Service was a little slow and it took a while to get our food, but we enjoyed plentiful cheese fries and burgers, and we liked the atmosphere. We didn’t feel a need to go again.

6e533df8-3eda-4132-98b6-1dca4057a711.jpg

After lunch we caught the 1p ice show, which we both LOVED – amazing how they can do anything at all on that small of a rink, let alone on a moving ship. There were a few minor spills which the performers recovered from quickly and admirably (I heard the 3p show was smoother), and I’ve decided to start up the Tavros Manok Fan Club (he was my favorite performer). Definitely wear long pants/take a sweater, it’s a little chilly and the show runs 45 minutes. We got there ½ hour in advance and got great seats, we could’ve waited another 15 minutes.

dda2dd36-7a7b-4bc6-8385-3f0dfda77c14.jpg

Jelly had a Cupcake Decorating class after that; she rated it a ‘5’ on a scale of 1-10, for vanilla instead of the much-preferred chocolate, and the end result was a frog, which she thought was ‘lame’. It was a full group by the time everyone got there and they looked like they were having fun.

21c0436a-e812-40c9-896d-dff72a34a2bf.jpg

After that she went back to AO, and I had a delightful ship nap (glorious!). Then there was some quality time in the H2O Zone, which was Jelly’s preferred pool location the remainder of the cruise, and an easier spot to find chairs.

913b9ce3-c2cd-4753-ba52-16e11ca8de2b.jpg

For dinner that evening I’d made reservations for the two of us at Giovanni’s Table, the Italian specialty restaurant. We started with Caesar Salads, which were identical to those served in the MDR, which was a little disappointing (I was hoping to spot an anchovy or lemon wedge), and the Prosciutto-Wrapped Mozzarella on Crostini drizzled with mustard which was freaking delicious (I have a pic of this as well if interested). Jelly had the kid-friendly Spaghetti Bolognese as suggested by the waiter, which I don’t think was actually on the menu, and thought it was terrific; I had a perfectly cooked medium-rare 8-oz filet, terrible ‘garlic fries’ (a little stack of regular ol’ fries), yummy broccolini, mediocre tiramisu, and some really tasty brandied fruit custard. The service was excellent and the atmosphere lovely. I believe it was formal night in the MDR.

7fe85cc8-7aca-431b-a2c2-6a0fb5385492.jpg

A few more notes about the day;

Chops had a sign out that they were serving breakfast to suite guests (anyone with a Gold SeaPass card).

I received an in-room voicemail message that my Chef’s Table reservation was rescheduled from Wednesday to Thursday due to lack of people signed up (I’d wanted to do an every-other-night kind of thing, which blew that plan, but no biggie).

The Compass said there were DreamWorks characters in the Promenade 11a-12p but we were there at 11:30 and didn’t see any.

We did, however, learn that Sorrento’s didn’t open until 1p. Shock and outrage!

Next – Day 3 – Labadee, Haiti

or

HOLY FREAKING GORGEOUSNESS, BATMAN

Loving this review!

Random question about Adventure Club- are they closed on the day your board?

Thanks!

Adventure Ocean is open the day of boarding in the afternoon solely for registration/touring purposes, then was open that evening 8p-10p for free play, and after that for $7/hr until like 2am. Hope that helps!

Loving the review, and this is coming from a huge Red Wings fan:p . My husband and I will be back on the Freedom in 13 more days. I am curious as to your thoughts on the current CD. I was a little bummed to hear that Casey Pelter was on an extended leave because we thought he was awesome our last cruise.

They had a pared-down regular Starbucks menu - I'll have to check and see if the pic I took shows the offerings. Basically they have the 'usuals' like Chai or Green Tea, Caramel Macchiato, Frappuchinos, etc. but they just have the three flavors (chocolate, caramel, vanilla). No special seasonal stuff.

Oh awesome okay. And was this included in your package?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Loving the review, and this is coming from a huge Red Wings fan:p . My husband and I will be back on the Freedom in 13 more days. I am curious as to your thoughts on the current CD. I was a little bummed to hear that Casey Pelter was on an extended leave because we thought he was awesome our last cruise.

Well, I have several good friends who are decent people who happen to be Red Wings fans, so I guess you're one of those :-).

I'm going to be straight up here - I never pay much attention to who the cruise director is. Because I don't make it to many shows I don't actually hear them/see them, really, so they don't have a lot of impact on my little vacation bubble. I did notice there were a lot fewer announcements than on my last cruise, but I don't know if that's because of the different in ship, or the difference in CD. Sorry I can't be more help here.