GETAWAY Picture Review (Great Stirrup Cay, Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Jamaica)

mpcaruth

Thank you for all your wonderfully detailed photos and the awesome review. The balcony picture is quite enlightening. I am actually wondering now how much it would cost to move to deck 8. Those look much larger and wonderful. We are cruising on the Getaway in January and it's our first NCL cruise!

Thanks!!! Someday, after we put the kids through braces and college, I will splurge and get a great, big, magnificent suite with an aft balcony. Until then, I will have to be content with low end cabins.

Yes, I did walk by the main pool early in the morning, and you should have no trouble swimming laps (albeit short laps). I love exploring and walking around the ships early in the morning before the masses take over. I will go ahead a post my pics on the main pool next.

I wish I could just whip out this review in a single setting; however, it takes a lot of time, and it will definitely be a week before I can complete it (or sadly, maybe 2 weeks).

Thanks for the pool pictures, I'm ok with short laps since I don't swim that fast !

Take your time with your review, especially the photos ! They are really getting me pumped for my cruise ! I agree with the other posters about your refugee photos-they were as amazing as they were heartbreaking. How sad that they were shipped back to Cuba where they will likely be punished and imprisoned !

Ocho Rios, Jamaica:

I got up early to make sure I could catch the sunrise over Jamaica... and it was breathtaking! (But wait until you see the sunset picture I took later that evening.)

facebookP1110158_zpsfxbouyen.jpg

One of the main reasons for booking this cruise was to see Jamaica. I know, I have read way too many posts on Cruise Critic of members warning folks to not get off the ship, it’s dirty, you’ll hate it, the people are pushy, there’s crime everywhere, etc. We are an adventurous family, but not careless. I did plenty of research beforehand and determined Marvyn’s Paradise Tours was the perfect match. I booked a private excursion just for us four. I have learned in the past that big organized group tours may get you a better deal, but you are limited on time by what the group wants. I like a private tour, as we can decide how long to stay at each stop and can even change the itinerary.

We booked the private Irie Blue Hole tour with Marvyn Paradise Tours which included a beach stop (tbd) and lunch stop (Scotchies). Marvyn emailed us numerous times before our cruise to provide us with meeting place directions and updates. Great communicator! We were one of the first off the ship and headed right over to the private tour guide meeting place directly outside of the port. The port staffer directed us to Marvyn’s tour, and we immediately got in a large shuttle with others and took the 5 minute drive to Marvyn’s office. Marvyn came and personally introduced himself and then introduced us to our driver <I cannot believe I have forgotten his name… it has been 2 months>.

Off we went in an AC van through Ocho Rios and up the mountain to Irie Blue Hole. If you do this tour, be sure to bring water shoes. But if you forget, there are a couple of places to stop on the way to purchase or rent.

Our guide takes care of the park entrance fee and hands us off to a young park/excursion guide. The guide was to stay with our group the whole time we are at the park. They will also hold your camera and take photos, which is wonderful. I could ditch my waterproof bag and not have to worry about taking photos. My only regret is that my camera was not quite on the right settings.

P1110178_zpshrdmirhm.jpg

P1110180_zpsx0abm4r1.jpg

P1110183_zps0guepgph.jpg

P1110187_zpsaghtuasx.jpg

P1110186_zps0ucdunli.jpg

Edited by mpcaruth

Ocho Rios Continued:

facebookP1110181_zpsvrpjjwbf.jpg

There is a little hike along the water to get to the top jumping hole. There are ropes along the way to help keep your balance.

P1110188_zpse1ofj9wt.jpg

P1110192_zps6q4lag3a.jpg

We are the second group to arrive at the top today.

P1110191_zps455rx4ud.jpg

The first of many jumping opportunities:

P1110196_zpsefpqgahn.jpg

And away I go...

P1110197_zpswgzw3psb.jpg

Edited by mpcaruth

Ocho Rios Continued:

Life jackets are available for those not comfortable with swimming.

P1110200_zpsvzzjqv7r.jpg

Its starting to get a little crowded. Check out the guys face as he hits the water in the lower right. Hilarious!

P1110202_zpstr01ept5.jpg

We move on down to the next hole.

P1110206_zpsgz1bplwi.jpg

P1110208_zpst77jm4q9.jpg

And another:

P1110212_zpsdm2z1l0x.jpg

Ocho Rios Continued:

The last hole has a super high jump (Sorry, we were all too chicken, but you can search Youtube for some great videos of this). This hole also had a swing rope and a bar for drinks.

P1110213_zpsnfwyuoke.jpg

P1110214_zpsh1wle0za.jpg

I had to extract the following two photos from a video our guide took:

facebookCapture1_zps6i9aalvn.jpg

facebookCapture3_zps2babnja7.jpg

And that's all for Irie Blue Hole! It really is a true gem of Jamaica and I highly recommend a trip here. You don't have to be a dare devil to enjoy it, as there are all levels of jumps and swims.

Edited by mpcaruth

Ocho Rios Continued:

facebookP1110193_zpstd7emhsg.jpg

facebookP1110194_zpszijtkfgw.jpg

facebookP1110195_zpsl0trdwxd.jpg

We leave the park and head back down the mountain. There are lots of entertainment along the drive. I think the second most talked about thing from the cruise for my kids (1st being the refugees) and second being BROWNIES. We saw three different guys along the road selling special brownies.

"Hey Mon! Brownies make ya feel good".

facebookP1110220_zpsx4vh2xrm.jpg

The guide stopped for me to take a photo of the wooden water pipe. The pipe supplies the drinking water to Ocho Rios to be treated. Higher up the mountain there were minnie geysers leaking out of the pipe. (Yes, I am a nerd engineer who designs drinking water systems - I like this kind of stuff).

P1110218_zps553dpfsm.jpg

Edited by mpcaruth

I was on this cruise too when they rescued the refugees, when they announced it i didn't go and watch, I was enjoying the UBP and Howl at the Moon too much! Regret that now though, great pictures

Thanks.

Well, I guess we needed some passengers to stay on the other side of the ship to keep it from listing ; )

Ironically, I never made it to Howl at the Moon. I regret that.

That's a shame, always next time. I was in there everytime they played, 4 nights out of the 7. That's the thing I miss the most.

We had a different ship booked for our anniversary -cancelled and booked NCL Getaway instead. Howl at the Moon is one of the best parts of the entertainment!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What is Howl at the Moon? I did not see it listed in any of the entertainment on the Getaway.

It's a dueling piano show in which the audience picks the songs. I hear it is very funny and a blast.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/whats-on-board/Entertainment#Getaway_Howl_At_The_Moon

Edited by mpcaruth

Ocho Rios Continued:

Our next stop was a beach stop. Our guide asked us if we wanted a touristy crowded beach or a nice quiet beach. I was a little concerned about this "nice quiet" beach, but he said trust me, you will like it. So, we took a gamble. The drive there went through an "interesting" area:

P1110167_zpsf9rxrut7.jpg

We pull up outside of the beach resort, Kaz Kreol:

P1110222_zpsatdfolfp.jpg

Our guide helped us check in at the hotel counter for our day pass. I think it was $5 per person and $5 per beach lounger. I paid and we were guided through the small, simple, but super clean hotel. And on the other side was absolute paradise! Bingo!

facebookP1110253_zpszemq7ydm.jpg

facebookP1110256_zpsbq73v9s9.jpg

facebookP1110254_zpsao2zw42e.jpg

We could use the beach (and they would carry our loungers to where ever we wanted) all the way around until the beach section across the way. THAT area was a private nude beach/resort.

facebookP1110224_zpst0asyzj5.jpg

Ocho Rios Continued:

Oh No! I went to pull up some of my photos of the creek inlet into the beach area, and I CANNOT find them. I seem to have lost a SD from one of my cameras. I too so many more pictures of this beach and I can't find them. Sorry.

Here's what I have:

facebookP1110266_zpsokp5zn1y.jpg

facebookP1110252_zpsuz5pmujn.jpg

facebookP1110242_zpszacndzru.jpg

facebookP1110240_zpsegqnae4v.jpg

Ocho Rios Continued:

P1110258_zps70kmivxv.jpg

Now I did find the photos that I accidently ; ) took of the adjacent beach. Here's a PG snip-it of Incognito Man:

P1110244_zpsxer6jd4z.jpg

Kaz Kreol was a nice hang out for a beautiful and relaxing beach. We had a cheap snack to hold us over until Scotchies and also had a few Red Stripe beer. This beach was a pleasant surprise.

We packed up and our guide took us on a little tour of the town and we stopped at a look-out area with a bar/restaurant high above the cruise port.

facebookP1110275_zpsgougnixv.jpg

facebookP1110281_zps8yn3mdrb.jpg

facebookP1110276_zpsioygwcoo.jpg

Ocho Rios Continued:

We stopped at Scotchies for a late lunch for some real authentic food. I would love to show you pictures of the place and food, but... I lost the SD card. Sorry again. The only thing I do have is a photo my daughter posted.

IMG_0282_zpsdkvgfpi4.jpg

Scotchies is a very simple outdoor restaurant with good authentic local Jerk food. My husband and son got the jerk pork wraps, I got the jerk pork, and my daughter got chicken. My husband loved the wrap! The meat is not especially hot, but they provide a little container of jerk sauce. I dipped a finger in it and tested first. It's pretty hot. But, my son poured it on his pork. Whoa. He gulped his soda, but said the fizz of the soda made it worse. The only thing else, was my Red Strip. It worked. We liked everything but the bread fruit. Blah, dry, fruit??? Oh well, we had to try it.

After scotchies, our guide said he had a surprise for us. He pulled the van over along a main road and we got out. Apparently for a peep show:

I LOVE this picture of my family peeping:

facebookP1110288_zpsws9tjie3.jpg

And what did they see? Dunn River Falls. OMG! Look how crowded this tour was. I am so glad we ventured out to the Irie Blue Falls.

facebookP1110286_zpsuuklbpsx.jpg

facebookP1110284_zpscaqqkhxq.jpg

Sadly, that's all the photos I have of our day in the port. We head back to the ship, extremely tired and hungry. We are blessed with beautiful sunset to enjoy from our cozy balcony.

facebookP1110304_zpsc0ugxtud.jpg