Which Cruise Line?

cruisecrazybmore

If I'm forced to give up a stop in Alaska for a sham stop in Canada, I'm glad it's at least a full day stop. I can actually utilize it to do things like take my kids whale watching there to maximize my time in Alaska.

But you DON'T have to give up a stop in Alaska. All cruises from Seattle make the Victoria stop, but most still manage to do 3 Alaskan ports. As far as I know, only RCCL drops Ketchikan in order to do a full day in Victoria. I'd rather go to Ketchikan!

But you DON'T have to give up a stop in Alaska. All cruises from Seattle make the Victoria stop, but most still manage to do 3 Alaskan ports. As far as I know, only RCCL drops Ketchikan in order to do a full day in Victoria. I'd rather go to Ketchikan!

That's true that you don't have to give it up...however, with travel constraints with my family, and the fact that we'd need 2 cabins otherwise, value trumped itinerary for us. If it was my wife and I alone, we'd have gone all out and done land and a one way, etc. But with the kids, we've got to make the most of whatever opportunity we can get (if you see where I'm coming from). The fact that the ship we're on has a fabulous family oceanview room goes a long way because it saved us over 3,000$ or so over connecting balcony rooms or a traditional suite. I can invest that cash into giving a better experience at the stops we have.

I've been to Alaska 3 times - twice on Princess. I also happen to love RCI. If you want a round trip cruise, I'd go with Princess and be sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary. If you want a Northbound or Southbound cruise, I'd choose RCI. You won't see Glacier Bay, but you will see Hubbard Glacier, which is impressive, and the RCI ship has a lot of great viewing areas. Plus, you have the opportunity to visit the interior, like Denali National Park if you choose a Northbound or Southbound. My least favorite itinerary would be one that is round trip from Seattle - they typically go around the outside/ocean side with a little less of the inside part of the inside passage.

Access to Glacier bay is almost always quarantined. I have heard of only one cruise not getting into Glacier Bay . It was because the fog was so thick that the pilot didn't recommend entering the bay . The rangers couldn't even leave their pier to get to the ship.