Hotel help

Beth

We will be cruising out of LA - Hawaii 15 cruise = any thoughts on good hotels near the port - would appreciate suggestions - thank you

Carnival suggests these two:

Los Angeles Hilton Los Angeles Airport * 310-410-4000

Los Angeles Renaissance Long Beach 562-437-5900

First of all, which cruiseline???? (it could be this was officially on Carnival's board, but since it's in the Western Destinations, I'm not going to assume which cruiseline she's going on as there's more than one that goes on this itinerary.

If it is Carnival, I would suggest staying in Long Beach. Do a search for BruinSteve's posts as he recommends hotels that are in decent areas (which is important when considering where to stay in LB as there's hotels in industrial areas that you'll want to avoid).

If Princess or other cruiselines, you can stay in LB (just make sure to tell your driver to take you to the Port of LA, which is in San Pedro, and not to the Port of LB, where there's just one berth, which is Carnival's). You can stay in San Pedro, at the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree, which are close to the port (free or inexpensive shuttle).

If you plan to sightsee (coming in a day or so earlier for that reason), you might want to consider staying elsewhere. Plenty of suggestions will come your way if you let us know what kinds of sightseeing (museums, beaches, amusement parks, show tapings) you want to do.

But be aware that there are some less desirable areas of LA and we locals what to help you avoid them. For starters, DO NOT STAY BY LAX. Think strip malls in the literal sense for this area. (I only recommend staying at one of the nicer hotels if you have a really early flight the next morning)

Do not stay in downtown Los Angeles. Not a safe area. Usually it's businesspersons who have meetings there and people who don't know that any low rates should be a red flag.

Carnival sails out of Long Beach the closest are the

Queen Mary (built in the '30, thin walls)

The Maya and

the Renaissance.

The Hyatt at the Pike is also close.

All these are on the free Passport bus line.

If you're not on Carnival, you'll be sailing out of San Pedro.

Have you joined your roll call yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First of all' date=' which cruiseline???? (it could be this was officially on Carnival's board, but since it's in the Western Destinations, I'm not going to assume which cruiseline she's going on as there's more than one that goes on this itinerary.[/quote']

This was in the Carnival thread, someone must have moved it.

I figured as such. It does help if posters do put which ship they're going on because the mods will often move threads requesting info about hotels to one of the destinations boards. And believe it or not, there are some people who will even get the name of their embarkation port (Long Beach vs Los Angeles) wrong. I've seen a couple of cases of this on the Princess board.

One point I forgot to make yesterday that just because a cruise line uses specific hotels for those booking their hotel stays through them, doesn't mean those are the best places to stay. Often they will put up passengers in airport area hotels because those tend to cost less. But in some cities, the airport isn't near the port (LAX is a major example and so is SeaTac) and the areas tend to be noisy, obviously.