Family of 5 need ideas

So I booked my Vacation about six months ago on the Carnival breeze for April 17. We had to book 2 rooms a balcony and an interior which is right in front of my balcony room. My family is my husband and I and our small kids ages 6, 2 and 9 month old. but it just hit me today that my balcony room is not quad so it doesnt have a bunk bed that comes from the ceiling.

I'm trying to figure out how can we all be in this room

I already got my infants bed so i'm all set with her and just wondering can i bring a portable cot on board or what do you suggest

I cant think right now out of the box

I will oviously not be using the interior. Maybe for luggage storage but not for anything else

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Why did you book and pay for two rooms and only use 1?

Yeah, I'm not understanding this either. Why did you book an interior for your kids if you want them to stay in your room? And you mentioned a quad, which holds four, not five. Are you trying to move two kids into your room and leave one in the interior? That's a moot point anyway, isn't it, since you already stated your room doesn't hold four.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

OK - please don't flame me for this - I accept this is a personal comfort level, and depends on the kids. But why not take a baby monitor and have at least the 6 and 2 year old sleep in the interior room? Take advantage of the space, and especially the extra bath! I get it if you want the infant closer as many are not independent sleepers at that age.

We have traveled with our kids in an inside and us in a balcony for years and my youngest was 7 (and his brother 13 so coming and going late into the night) the first time we did this. Your doors are literally less than 5' apart - putting you much closer than in the average american home. At that age, and knowing my 7 year old, I didn't even need a monitor. The inside rooms are nice and dark, and with the rocking of the ship, and the playing all day, we were waking him at 730 to get dressed for breakfast.

Edited by A&Jfamily

I don't think you can bring a portable cot that doesn't fit in your luggage and there may be a rule against bringing a trundle into that room, but there are lots of options:

(1) DH and the six-year-old sleep in the inside. DH can still hang out on the balcony with you after the 6-year-old goes to sleep, making frequent checks on the child to make sure all is well.

(2) The six and two-year-olds share a bed, either next to each other or at opposite ends. They are small enough, assuming they can peacefully share the space. :)

(3) One child sleeps on blankets on the floor. I know this sounds awful to an adult, but my kids don't mind this option when traveling. You should have plenty of blankets and pillows from the inside room to make a nice bed. There won't be anywhere to walk, but it only needs to be out at night. You could also pack something like a rolled up yoga mat as the base.

(4) Share the king bed with the 2-year-old between you. Plenty of families sleep that way at home.

I would have the 6 and 2 share a bed, my 7 year old twins share a twin bed all the time (even though they each have their own), I would think a 6 and 2 year old would fit together just fine. That way you have more space for the crib. If your cabin only fits 2 then the sofa doesn't fold out to a bed and you wouldn't have a bunk either, so you may have to switch cabins anyways, I would look for a triple rather than a quad though.

Being part of a family of 5 myself, I would change my booking. Obivously with your cruise being so soon that isnt an option. I wouldn't want my young children across a hall from me. Why two bathrooms is very appealing the thought that my husband or kids couldn't be in the same room or atleast a connecting room with me would have me a nervous wreck the whole cruise. Maybe another ship is sailing at the same time that has room for 5.

Maybe sleeping bags on the floor for the 6 year old and have the two year old in bed with you???????

Edited by Jenn1974

The reason i booked 2 rooms was because there was no room for 5 available when i booked. So my agent told me i would need to book 2 rooms.

Yes, only OV allow for 5 on the Breeze. I don't know if any were available but if you wanted a balcony the only way to do it is to book 2 rooms.

I think with the suggestions here something will work out just fine.

I have four children and I booked 2 connecting rooms. My kids are older, but none of us would feel comfortable in separate rooms without a connecting door. But we're weirdos who sleep close at home, too. :-p If mine were smaller, the baby would be in bed with my husband and I, and the two others would share the pull out. (If there is a pull out in balcony rooms.)

Being part of a family of 5 myself, I would change my booking. Obivously with your cruise being so soon that isnt an option. I wouldn't want my young children across a hall from me. Why two bathrooms is very appealing the thought that my husband or kids couldn't be in the same room or atleast a connecting room with me would have me a nervous wreck the whole cruise. Maybe another ship is sailing at the same time that has room for 5.

Maybe sleeping bags on the floor for the 6 year old and have the two year old in bed with you???????

I agree. I wouldn't be able to relax at all with small kids in another cabin. Remember, the cruise is a microcosm of the macrocosm, not 100% law abiding citizens all friendly with one another. Crimes of all kinds are reported to happen on ships. If you are set on this date, everyone sleeps in one cabin or mom and dad split up to sleep.

Lots of good suggestions.

OP is sailing on the Breeze.

Breeze only has ocean view that accommodate 5.

Breeze does not have trundle beds.

The couch does not fold out in the balcony stateroom

Therefore my suggestions:

Interior used for naps, storage, and extra shower/bathroom

You place the littlest one in the crib.

The 2 and 6 year old sleep on the couch. Once the back bolsters are removed it about the size of a twin bed. With their heads at opposite ends there should be more than enough room.

Enjoy the balcony for some grownup time.

Have a wonderful cruise and make those memories.

Edited by springs741

I would swap each night with the baby. I have a family of 5 and our first cruise my wife and daughter had a room and me and the boys had a room. We were together all day and when it was time for bed we had more room and two bathrooms. It really worked out by great. My daughter was 8 and our boys were 5. We had to have two rooms for the ship we were on and the itinerary we wanted. We are now platinum and have always booked two rooms. The kids have there own room now....17, 15 and 15. Side note we tried 5 in one room, ONCE, it worked out but no room. Thank god for the balcony.

Doesn't the Breeze have 5 person cabins? If so you may want to check back for cancellations. I wouldn't want my family split up.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cruiserNC

We are a family of 6. I prefer to book 2 connecting rooms. There is no way I could sleep with them across the hall. My youngest is 7 and she just slept with us on our last cruise 2 weeks ago in our king bed. I suggest putting the 2 year old in with you and making the couch a bed for the older child. It will be tight but you can do it.

Lots of good suggestions.

OP is sailing on the Breeze.

Breeze only has ocean view that accommodate 5.

Breeze does not have trundle beds.

The couch does not fold out in the balcony stateroom

Therefore my suggestions:

Interior used for naps, storage, and extra shower/bathroom

You place the littlest one in the crib.

The 2 and 6 year old sleep on the couch. Once the back bolsters are removed it about the size of a twin bed. With their heads at opposite ends there should be more than enough room.

Enjoy the balcony for some grownup time.

Have a wonderful cruise and make those memories.

Good idea springs. Another option would be baby in the crib. Two other kiddos in bed with you and have DH sleep on the couch. I actually prefer the couch when cruising with 3 in a room. I let the others take the beds and I get the couch.

Edited by nodogkisses

I am not comfortable with my kids in a non- connecting room but I don't see an issue if one adult is in each room? I only have a family of 4 but only 2 person/non connecting rooms were available, DH/DS in one room, Me/DD in the other. I guess we'd have to flip a coin to see which one scored the balcony :D

Family of 5 here- kids 5, 3, and 1. I think you'll be fine, and am planning the same setup for a cruise this fall. Put everything that doesn't fit in closets/drawers in the other room (the crib will take up a majority of the floor space) and it will be cramped, but workable. FYI, we had them take the crib away after a day on our last cruise in favor of having him sleep in our bed at night and gaining the floor space to move around better. YMMV

The reality of cruising with 5 is that options are few. Some ships (like the Pride, 30 minutes from where I live) have NO rooms for 5 at all, and multiple rooms are usually cost prohibitive. It's a bit odd to have to book a room that won't get used much, but it won't hurt anybody, and the bathroom will come in handy when getting everyone ready for dinner.

Wouldn't it be nice if 5 person balconies could be booked with young kids (meaning they wouldn't need to have a full bed for 5 people)? Sure would save me a lot of money...which is I guess why they don't let you do it :)

Edited by bobmarley753

So I booked my Vacation about six months ago on the Carnival breeze for April 17. We had to book 2 rooms a balcony and an interior which is right in front of my balcony room. My family is my husband and I and our small kids ages 6, 2 and 9 month old. but it just hit me today that my balcony room is not quad so it doesnt have a bunk bed that comes from the ceiling.

I'm trying to figure out how can we all be in this room

I already got my infants bed so i'm all set with her and just wondering can i bring a portable cot on board or what do you suggest

I cant think right now out of the box

I will oviously not be using the interior. Maybe for luggage storage but not for anything else

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Looking at your post and thinking - WOW !

Guessing you are paying full price for 4 of your family (2 in each cabin) and using the 2nd cabin as a glorified closet.

Thinking a suite (if available) would have been a better choice.

Or at least a different ship, different cruise week or something to cut the cost of a "wasted" second/unusable second cabin.

Anyway, best of luck.

2 thoughts:

1. Split up the adults and the kids so no one sleeps without an adult.

2. If you would prefer to all sleep in the same room, can you co-sleep with the baby? If you would prefer to keep the baby in the bassinet, how about co-sleeping one of the older kids (Heck you could even rotate).

3. I love the idea of using blankets to make an extra bed on the floor. Maybe bring a blow up mattress like they use for camping. Could store it in the other room during the day.

FYI. After you check in and board you will have to go to guest services and get everyone a second key. Each persons sign and sail can only be used for the room they are registered to. So if your kids are all registered to the inside room, they will need (or maybe just the oldest will) a separate key card for the balcony. Plus you and DH will need a second key card for the Interior room (Unless you just carry and use the kids cards). It's a bit of a pain to carry around 2 cards all week, but you gotta do it!

For future reference. Beside the Family cabins that sleep 5 there are a few other ships that would work.

All the Fantasy class and a couple of others (Triumph? Sunshine?). Ships built before 2000 are allowed to have an extra berth brought in. Extra berth would be a rollaway, trundle or crib. It's a very tight fit. More crowded than an RV.