Starfish or Reef Stop after Stingray?

cdoobiest

I have private tour for 13 of us with 5 kids aged 6-9. They can all swim, not great but can tread water. Wondering if the reef snorkel that many tours go to is good for the kids. I have been reading 6-8 foot water and could be choppy depending on the day.

Other option would be Starfish point. Kids will probably like it, but wondering if it will be too tame and would they miss out on seeing some of the more colorful fish in the reef.

Thanks

I don't know anything except what you stated about the kiddos in your group so you need to take what I am going to say and see how it applies to your kids. Most tours offer life jackets so as long as they fit and fit well and the kids are mature enough to know their boundaries, they may be ok to do the snorkeling. I love to snorkel and do so every chance I get. I do not wear a life jacket. My DH on the other hand is not as confident a swimmer and he always wears a life jacket when snorkeling. The only time we have ever gotten into 'trouble' while snorkeling was in GC. The water was smooth when we started but got very rough within a short period of time - I was truly frightened for our safety. At one point, if it had not been for the reef being a bit larger and higher into the water, I think we could have drowned. We broke a very important rule which is do not touch the coral....but that coral saved our lives. We felt horrible about using it to stabilize ourselves but we truly had no choice. Be cognizant of the 'possibilities' and make your decision based on skill level and conditions. My opinion, take it as you will. Have a great time! Janie